Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I'm in Pennsylvania and a truck driving the opposite way kicks up a rock and hits my windshield.
By the end of the day the crack was about 12 inches long.
Only Tesla can replace Tesla glass
Used the Tesla App on July 26th to schedule an appointment For the following Monday Aug 2nd
Got a text from service saying " Hello, we are having a shortage of Model Y windshields . We are going to try and locate a windshield ."

Follow up text July 30th: " Still waiting on our shipment of glass. It's a supply chain issue with a sensor on the windshield, we will hopefully have a solution in place by end of next week but will need to push again. We will have to postpone appointment to next week" [ What does that mean? Need to push again"?]

Now it's Aug 3rd
I inquire and receive a text back saying " As of now we have still not received any good news o the windshields , it's taking time......"

I know Tesla is still growing, demand is high, supply chain shortages etc but this is getting annoying.
The crack is now zig zagging across my windshield and soon will make the car unsafe to drive.
Luckily I have another vehicle to drive.

So I had debris hit my windshield and roof glass, the windshields were in stock but the roof was not. It took 4 weeks to get the roof glass. Also are these comments the general emails sent about parts from Tesla or in the app via a service tech?

Man, sorry to hear it. My Teslas have been rock magnets. First my 3 got a crack in the windshield shortly after I got it. I was able to seal it and that stopped it from growing, but it was still an eyesore. And last week my Y got a nasty crack from a rock that was kicked up while I was driving through a construction zone. I sealed that and am praying that stops it from growing cause I really don’t want to have to deal with Tesla’s Service Centers on this one. Crazy how susceptible these are to chips and cracks.

I had a crack that spread about a month ago, call my insurance, they sent me to Safelite, safelite can replace the glass but they are not certified to recalibrate the camera. The tesla SC replaced the windshield and all is good, took two weeks to get the appointment, I asked if they had to recalibrate the camera, they said they did not have to.. they mentioned that recalibration is only needed if the camera assemble was moved during the remove and replace procedure, maybe the Safelite route can work for future repairs.

I had a crack that spread about a month ago, call my insurance, they sent me to Safelite, safelite can replace the glass but they are not certified to recalibrate the camera. The tesla SC replaced the windshield and all is good, took two weeks to get the appointment, I asked if they had to recalibrate the camera, they said they did not have to.. they mentioned that recalibration is only needed if the camera assemble was moved during the remove and replace procedure, maybe the Safelite route can work for future repairs.
So I spoke with Safelite also and they informed me no 3rd party glass exists and they would in the end have to get it from Tesla and the cost was the same as having tesla do it. The $790 they quote is an estimate and the real cost is $1,315... Also my insurance paid out the full amount minus deductible for having Tesla do it.

^^^not if there's a windshield shortage.

I would be torn between having Safelite replace the windshield vs. Tesla. For sure, the Tesla SC won't have the experience with glass replacement that Safelite has, and except for hanging/calibrating the electronics, Safelite is probably better.

TLDR: Broke windshield and made service request on 7/6. After some frustration with the way Tesla handles the appointments and the way the phone app works, I should be getting a new windshield on 8/6., and it sounds like it could have easily taken a few weeks longer if things had happened differently.

I got a small crack (that later spread across half the windshield) on our MY on July 6th. I immediately made an appointment through the app, and the first available appointment at my local SC was July 21st. I got several emails that showed a status of 'shipment pending' for the new windshield, right up to a day or two before the appointment, so it wasn't looking good for getting the windshield replaced on that date.

On July 20th I got an automated reminder about the appointment in the app. Later in the day on 7/20 I go another message in the app, but when I tried to view it I could no longer see the service request and there was no way for me to view the message. I opened another service request under the 'other' category to ask what had happened to the first service request and what the unviewable new message was. I just picked the earliest available appointment date, which was August 6th, for that second request, which would turn out to be a fortunate thing later.

I didn't get any response in the app to the second ticket, but I finally reached someone at the local service center a few days later. It turns out they had changed the original service request to 'unscheduled' due to the delay in getting the windshield. Apparently you can't see unscheduled requests in the app. I'm not the first one to complain to the SC that this doesn't work very well for the customer, since there is no way to read the messages they add to the unscheduled service request and in the app it looks like the request is just gone.

-->Insert snarky comment about Tesla being a technology company that builds cars that can't get it's phone app to work here <-- :)

When I spoke with the SC they had me keep the 2nd ticket open with the hope that the windshield would arrive before that date. On August 3rd I got a status email about the windshield saying it had shipped on 7/29 with a scheduled delivery of 7/31. I'm not sure I should believe this email, because just a day earlier, on 8/2, I called the service center to see if things were looking good for the 8/6 appointment. While the response I got was encouraging and they said they expected the windshield to arrive in time, I didn't get the impression that they had already received it.

When called the SC the first time, they explained that once the request was moved to 'unscheduled' the next step would be that after the parts arrived I would receive a message asking me to pick a new date for the service visit. There was no way to reserve a date until the windshield was in stock. The earliest date available once the windshield actually arrived would almost certainly have been a few weeks later. Luckily things worked out where the date on my second request lined up with the arrival of the windshield, because it sounds like otherwise I'd just now be picking a new date a few weeks out for having the windshield replaced.

I realize that supply chain and shipping issues are making things difficult for companies, but it seems like Telsa should have an idea of when parts are scheduled to arrive and should be able to reserve a service appointment well in advance based on that scheduled arrival. Having to wait until the parts actually arrive and only then being able to try to schedule a date just leads to more delay for the customer. I don't know if that is Telsa policy, just my SC's practice, or whether it might not even be truly how they operate. There's definitely still room for improvement in the service process.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
So I had debris hit my windshield and roof glass, the windshields were in stock but the roof was not. It took 4 weeks to get the roof glass. Also are these comments the general emails sent about parts from Tesla or in the app via a service tech?
Via the Service app.
For all the great thigs of owning a tesla if I had an ICE car the windshield would already have been repairs

TLDR: Broke windshield and made service request on 7/6. After some frustration with the way Tesla handles the appointments and the way the phone app works, I should be getting a new windshield on 8/6., and it sounds like it could have easily taken a few weeks longer if things had happened differently.

I got a small crack (that later spread across half the windshield) on our MY on July 6th. I immediately made an appointment through the app, and the first available appointment at my local SC was July 21st. I got several emails that showed a status of 'shipment pending' for the new windshield, right up to a day or two before the appointment, so it wasn't looking good for getting the windshield replaced on that date.

On July 20th I got an automated reminder about the appointment in the app. Later in the day on 7/20 I go another message in the app, but when I tried to view it I could no longer see the service request and there was no way for me to view the message. I opened another service request under the 'other' category to ask what had happened to the first service request and what the unviewable new message was. I just picked the earliest available appointment date, which was August 6th, for that second request, which would turn out to be a fortunate thing later.

I didn't get any response in the app to the second ticket, but I finally reached someone at the local service center a few days later. It turns out they had changed the original service request to 'unscheduled' due to the delay in getting the windshield. Apparently you can't see unscheduled requests in the app. I'm not the first one to complain to the SC that this doesn't work very well for the customer, since there is no way to read the messages they add to the unscheduled service request and in the app it looks like the request is just gone.

-->Insert snarky comment about Tesla being a technology company that builds cars that can't get it's phone app to work here <-- :)

When I spoke with the SC they had me keep the 2nd ticket open with the hope that the windshield would arrive before that date. On August 3rd I got a status email about the windshield saying it had shipped on 7/29 with a scheduled delivery of 7/31. I'm not sure I should believe this email, because just a day earlier, on 8/2, I called the service center to see if things were looking good for the 8/6 appointment. While the response I got was encouraging and they said they expected the windshield to arrive in time, I didn't get the impression that they had already received it.

When called the SC the first time, they explained that once the request was moved to 'unscheduled' the next step would be that after the parts arrived I would receive a message asking me to pick a new date for the service visit. There was no way to reserve a date until the windshield was in stock. The earliest date available once the windshield actually arrived would almost certainly have been a few weeks later. Luckily things worked out where the date on my second request lined up with the arrival of the windshield, because it sounds like otherwise I'd just now be picking a new date a few weeks out for having the windshield replaced.

I realize that supply chain and shipping issues are making things difficult for companies, but it seems like Telsa should have an idea of when parts are scheduled to arrive and should be able to reserve a service appointment well in advance based on that scheduled arrival. Having to wait until the parts actually arrive and only then being able to try to schedule a date just leads to more delay for the customer. I don't know if that is Telsa policy, just my SC's practice, or whether it might not even be truly how they operate. There's definitely still room for improvement in the service process.
You're making me even sadder. LOL

I was under the impression only tesla could replace the windshield. I will call Safelite because frankly I have little to no faith in Tesla Service. it is seriously the worst part of the corporation and worse than any OEM I've ever dealt with

Just remember that even if you take it to safelite you will still have to take it to Tesla SC for them to confirm the camera are not messed up from windshield Instal also not requiring a calibration. I was quoted $250 for this plus the windshield cost that is the same from safelite and Tesla. Honestly it’s best to just have Tesla do it, much less back and forth in the end. I even spoke to a Tesla approved body shop and they told me for windshields and roof glass it’s best to go through Tesla direct.

Not trying to burst any bubbles here, but Tesla SC does not replace glass, nor to nearly all dealerships. They subcontract this work with local glass shops. True that Safelite can not recalibrate cameras on Tesla vehicles and it is required per Tesla work instructions. Not sure why a SC would say otherwise.

Just remember that even if you take it to safelite you will still have to take it to Tesla SC for them to confirm the camera are not messed up from windshield Instal also not requiring a calibration. I was quoted $250 for this plus the windshield cost that is the same from safelite and Tesla. Honestly it’s best to just have Tesla do it, much less back and forth in the end. I even spoke to a Tesla approved body shop and they told me for windshields and roof glass it’s best to go through Tesla direct.
Not true. I had my glass replaced by safelite and the camera was fine.

Dealing with safelite was a million times easier than going through Tesla. They returned my phone calls and emails. It was fantastic.