Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my glass wait: I received an email last week saying the windshield had arrived, and I have an appointment at the SC for 9/1 that the tech set up for me a few days before the glass arrived. The tech said they would try to get me in earlier if something became available, but I'm not holding my breath. So ~ 2 months for me from initial service ticket to replacement.

As I posted earlier my first email with a delivery estimate stated est. delivery 7/31... and that email was sent AFTER 7/31 while the windshield hadn't even shipped yet. When I had asked about how Tesla could have such a hard time tracking parts the tech made a reference to the possibility of a shipment being cancelled due to problems with the glass. I don't want to read too much into what he said, but it makes me suspect the current issues might be because Tesla received a batch with a lot of rejects, and that threw their expected supplies for new production and repairs into disarray.

Update on my glass wait: I received an email last week saying the windshield had arrived, and I have an appointment at the SC for 9/1 that the tech set up for me a few days before the glass arrived. The tech said they would try to get me in earlier if something became available, but I'm not holding my breath. So ~ 2 months for me from initial service ticket to replacement.

As I posted earlier my first email with a delivery estimate stated est. delivery 7/31... and that email was sent AFTER 7/31 while the windshield hadn't even shipped yet. When I had asked about how Tesla could have such a hard time tracking parts the tech made a reference to the possibility of a shipment being cancelled due to problems with the glass. I don't want to read too much into what he said, but it makes me suspect the current issues might be because Tesla received a batch with a lot of rejects, and that threw their expected supplies for new production and repairs into disarray.
Safelite told me that Tesla wasn't the only company with shortages in glass. Both Toyota and Honda were having supply issues but tesla was by far the worst.
Good Luck. I hope 9/1 happens and the glass is good

5 weeks ago A piece of concrete about the size of a cinder block flew off a truck in the lane next to me on the interstate. There was Heavy traffic and it was raining, too. The good news is it didn’t come through the windshield. My husband was driving and he thought it was going to come through the windshield and kill me. I’m told I’m lucky? The car is undriveable. I’m STILL waiting for the new windshield.

Safelite told me that Tesla wasn't the only company with shortages in glass. Both Toyota and Honda were having supply issues but tesla was by far the worst.
Good Luck. I hope 9/1 happens and the glass is good
Makes sense. And if you're a supplier, who are you going to prioritize, Tesla that has made a million cars in total or Honda/Toyota that make a million a year?

Got a text from Service last night.
We have messaged and they seem very nice and i was always polite too.
Confirming my appointment for Monday 8/23.
So about 4 weeks since the crack. I'm getting it sooner than many here it seems
Looks like it's really going to happen too.
Here's the message:

0-02-01-6a300dce7a70069814947a72b524822ad4ec2d7e0d1b377aa659bd83cf65c8e7_e2758fddd99125f0.jpg

I'll post again Monday and report how it goes.
Wish me luck. I wish everyone also waiting a shorter wait too

Wow... after reading this thread I feel fortunate about my experience with windshield replacement in my 2021 MY. A freeway rock left a circular crack in my windshield about the size of a quarter last month. I set up an appointment with a new Tesla service center close to my home in Sacramento for the following week– August 4. The service center gave me a $100 Uber credit for the roundtrip home and the new windshield was installed the same day. They also repaired an unrelated slow-leaking tire, which added $75 to the total invoice amount of $1,457. I paid the invoice with my credit card and my new Tesla insurance covered the entire invoice (tire repair included) minus my $100 comprehensive deductible. It was a very good experience.

Reactions: AquaY
My MY windshield was damaged 8/3. They set the appointment to fix it for 8/16. They cancelled that the day before and moved it to 8/26. Well they just cancelled that and offered me 9/7. Someone needs to get their act together.

I'm in the cracked windshield camp on my Model Y now. Great.

Note that Safelite doesn't allow you to select the MY on their quote and appointment website, only the other models. And their live chat agents will confirm they don't work on Model Ys..at least not direct to consumers.

I'm in the cracked windshield camp on my Model Y now. Great.

Note that Safelite doesn't allow you to select the MY on their quote and appointment website, only the other models. And their live chat agents will confirm they don't work on Model Ys..at least not direct to consumers.

Got mine changed out at Safelite last month. Took two weeks? They had the quote site open for me. To note, i had a bug where the AC was coming out the window not the face vents. An update/reboot seemed to fix it about a week later. Soft reboots and Hard (non battery pulling) seemed to have no effect. I also tried recalibrating the cameras, no dice.

Update:
I got my windshield!
Tesla installed it today as well as fixed a sticking handle on warranty and I got my car about 3 1/2hours later.

I hope this means they got glass in and everyone else that is waiting gets service soon
Are you able to break out how much they charged for the windshield replacement and how much they charged for the camera recalibration? Thanks and congrats!

I'm on my third windshield in my MY and it's taken 3 to 6 weeks to get one each time. I just got yet another chip this AM on my drive in. Only had this W/S for about 3 weeks. Driving in AZ is really bad. I even try to avoid the 'truck routes' on my drives each day. sigh.

I'm on my third windshield in my MY and it's taken 3 to 6 weeks to get one each time. I just got yet another chip this AM on my drive in. Only had this W/S for about 3 weeks. Driving in AZ is really bad. I even try to avoid the 'truck routes' on my drives each day. sigh.
Wow. Have you considered the protective film? It's expensive and only lasts 1-3 years but it might be worth it in your area

Related to the camera calibration its my understanding that if Tesla does not do the replacement they will bill 1hr of labor to calibrate and insure proper orientation. If they do the replacement I think its part of the installation so they don’t bill it separately… ie: remove windshield, install sealant, calibrate camera.

• Informative
Reactions: AquaY
So another rock hit my windshield today on the 405!! I did not even get 2.5 months out of my first replacement!! Not a happy camper! This time it’s some serious chips, have not cracked yet.

scheduled a service for EOM, the waiting game begins! Submitted insurance claim and Tesla quote already!