Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey did you ever get your windshield replaced? If so where did you go?
I've been waiting since June for a Model Y windshield from JF Vision
Lol still no reply from JF Vision actually. I ended getting it replaced at Tesla on 4th. I called ICBC to make sure I will get reimbursed and then made an appointment with Tesla. There was able to secure a windshield for me rather quickly, might of lucked out on the shipment. Just make sure you take all photos before and after as you will need to submit it for your claim. Enjoying new windshield as we speak but sucks that it takes so long. It's $1661.80 Canadian FYI for everything. Now just got to deal with ICBC with getting my claim money back.

Created a service ticket to replace the windshield at Tesla Seattle on May 24th, 2022. They bumped it to June 1st, then to June 14th. Still to solid ETA.

How long does it usually take for Tesla to replace the windshield? Any way to get an ETA out of them?

Gravel truck moved in front of me on the freeway last week and as I tried to change to a different lane a rock put a crack in the windshield. My appointment at the SC isn’t until June 7th, assuming the part is in stock. I managed to slow the spread but the crack is currently 24 inches long. I hope they don’t have to push my appointment out. Estimated cost is $1400.

Created a service ticket to replace the windshield at Tesla Seattle on May 24th, 2022. They bumped it to June 1st, then to June 14th. Still to solid ETA.

How long does it usually take for Tesla to replace the windshield? Any way to get an ETA out of them?
Its a supply issue. And it's not just Tesla windshields but Tesla has the worst shortage.
It sucks but it is what it is

My 2021 Model Y windshield has a crack half way across. Gave Safelite VIN number and they ordered a new one. Still waiting 3 months later for them to receive it. They just keep saying they have no control on when they will get it. Anyone else waiting this long?

I don’t quite trust SafeLite. Too many bad reviews for the multiple locations near us.

I scheduled service with Tesla at the end of March 2022 since I figured the service center may get priority for parts. Took 2.5 months to finally receive a new windshield. Others reported a one month wait. The crack steadily grew from 8” to 32”. I super-glued and put a bunch of tape on to slow the spread. Good luck and hope your new windshield arrives soon.

I scheduled service with Tesla at the end of March 2022 since I figured the service center may get priority for parts. Took 2.5 months to finally receive a new windshield. Others reported a one month wait.
I initially scheduled service with Tesla to replace the windshield figuring that would be the fastest. A day later I got a call from someone at Tesla saying they no longer do replacement windshields and recommended I contact Safelite. I asked the Tesla representative if Safelite could get Tesla parts and she said that the parts come directly from the windshield manufacturer. So I had Safelite do the windshield.

It worked out fine. The only thing Safelite couldn’t do was calibrate the camera. I need to research this calibration but so far, auto steer seems to be working as well as before the windshield replacement.

As an aside, the crack in my windshield appeared overnight when the car was idle. I was not driving the car. From the way the crack developed, to me it looked like a stress crack, not a crack caused by a stone.

Any Tesla SC that says, "We don't replace windshields, contact Safelite" is probably just telling you that THAT particular Tesla SC doesn't replace windshields. Clearly there is some confusion about this.

Dave L. in Centennial: Three months? Have you tried nagging them with daily phone calls? Having participated in so many forums, I've learned that some posters make the assumption that vendor "x" has my request and is processing it, when in reality, vendor "x" simply misplaced the order, it went in the wrong pile, or some other administrative error. Sometimes you just have to ask again...and again...

Supply chain issues cause delays, and all along the chain, there is the potential for inadvertent errors.

I initially scheduled service with Tesla to replace the windshield figuring that would be the fastest. A day later I got a call from someone at Tesla saying they no longer do replacement windshields and recommended I contact Safelite. I asked the Tesla representative if Safelite could get Tesla parts and she said that the parts come directly from the windshield manufacturer. So I had Safelite do the windshield.

It worked out fine. The only thing Safelite couldn’t do was calibrate the camera. I need to research this calibration but so far, auto steer seems to be working as well as before the windshield replacement.

As an aside, the crack in my windshield appeared overnight when the car was idle. I was not driving the car. From the way the crack developed, to me it looked like a stress crack, not a crack caused by a stone.
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I asked Tesla about the calibration after windshield replacement and was told there isn’t anything extra or special Tesla does, the car automatically does the calibration while you drive (similar to when you first take delivery and Autopilot goes through the calibration sequence without you needing to do anything other than driving normally).