Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y windshield washer no longer works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The windshield washer on my 4 mo old Model Y has stopped working. Absolutely no fluid is being sprayed on the windshield. However a puddle does appear on the ground under the car.
I checked fluid levels - ok
I popped the shroud under the frunk but saw nothing wrong.

any thoughts?

The windshield washer on my 4 mo old Model Y has stopped working. Absolutely no fluid is being sprayed on the windshield. However a puddle does appear on the ground under the car.

any thoughts?

The puddle could be from air-conditioner condensation. Have you verified it's actually wiper fluid?

Does the puddle appear without activating the wiper fluid from the wheel stock, or only if you try to use it? That would help you determine where the leak/disconnect is.

Scheduling a service appointment isn't a bad idea. But I bet you can track this down yourself. It may require popping a couple plastic covers off and rooting around, though.

There was an owner here a few weeks ago where this the case. The hose was disconnected and all that was needed was to slide it back on to fix the problem.
This is exactly what happened with my Model 3. If you follow the hoses you will find where they fit, or if one is disconnected. The hoses connect to fittings on the wiper arms which resemble little nipples. It takes some manipulation to slide the hose back on, but once snug they will hold. I've not had the problem with the MY.

any thoughts?
I also have a Model Y with the same problem. I filled the fluid, the wipers work but release no windshield fluid. I live far from a major city so investigated to see if I could find the problem. I opened the frunk, removed the liner near the windshield and saw a mass of wires and gizmos but could not track the two wiper cables to their source in the frunk. But I did discover a large wad of yellow insulation, one of my face masks and mouse turds, all tucked into a pocket or fist sized depression in the body. YIPES! I seriously suggest that you check in your frunk. I keep the windows up and the car inside my garage where I can charge it every night. Still no solution to the problem.

I also have a Model Y with the same problem. I filled the fluid, the wipers work but release no windshield fluid. I live far from a major city so investigated to see if I could find the problem. I opened the frunk, removed the liner near the windshield and saw a mass of wires and gizmos but could not track the two wiper cables to their source in the frunk. But I did discover a large wad of yellow insulation, one of my face masks and mouse turds, all tucked into a pocket or fist sized depression in the body. YIPES! I seriously suggest that you check in your frunk. I keep the windows up and the car inside my garage where I can charge it every night. Still no solution to the problem.
I have the same problem. Windshield wiper fluid ran out in 2 months and message popped up saying no fluid. Bought a gallon from an auto supply store. Made sure it is not bug removal fluid or water repellent fluid (since manual says not to use those). Just regular 32 degrees fluid. It took the whole gallon, but I don't see anything sprayed. But under the car there was a lot of fluid. It is almost as if all the fluid just sprayed out somewhere in between the tank and wipers. The car has been always parked inside a garage. Never left outside. I have mobile service coming in a couple of days to take a look.

Without even looking at the vehicle to see what the issue was, service center claimed mobile service cannot solve the issue, and parts to repair have been backordered (which repair?) and schedule a service center visit a month out. So they keep making and selling more and more cars without adequately staffing service centers and letting the overworked service centers play these games? I have never owned a vehicle where windshield washer fluid did not work (and never had to refill fluid myself since it always lasted to the next service center visit and they took care of it). Now I am not one expected to self fill less than 2 months after manufacturing, I am supposed to live with a non working windshield washer for almost a month!

I've seen some good replies above. I've had this issue before (with another car), and I checked:
1) Look for low fluid, and refill if low
2) If fluid is good, check for loose hoses/broken T's
3) If fluid and hoses are good, check for blockage at the nozzle/hose
4) If none of the above solves the issue, call for service.

FYI my issue last time was some tiny dirt particles were stuck in the nozzle, and I was able to clear it with a paperclip.

Without even looking at the vehicle to see what the issue was, service center claimed mobile service cannot solve the issue, and parts to repair have been backordered (which repair?) and schedule a service center visit a month out. So they keep making and selling more and more cars without adequately staffing service centers and letting the overworked service centers play these games? I have never owned a vehicle where windshield washer fluid did not work (and never had to refill fluid myself since it always lasted to the next service center visit and they took care of it). Now I am not one expected to self fill less than 2 months after manufacturing, I am supposed to live with a non working windshield washer for almost a month!
Or if you're handy at all you could slip the hose back on the nipple as described above, probably a very simple fix.

I developed the same problem. I popped the top cover under the frunk and found what you see in the picture. Easy peasy fix … if it holds. No tools needed! Still annoying that something like this happen.
8E2653D0-E4DE-431E-83E8-4D1C9C08F3CC.jpeg

Reactions: Billmister
That’s exactly what happened to me. I filled up prior to a trip. 4 days later on my way back it wasn’t spraying. I found it weird. Because I know it didn’t use the windshield fluid more than twice the whole trip. I picked up blue washer fluid (free of bug repellent, etc). And when I poured it only took less than 1/4 of gallon. I was concerned. Popped the hood and there it was. The plug was unplugged. I plugged it back in and all good.

Reactions: BnGrm
New model Y owner here. I noticed the fluid is sprayed right in front of the wiper and not evenly across the windshield. At first I thought nothing was coming out, but noticed the wipers moving the fluid. Is that correct or do the nozzles need calibration?

New model y owner here - I was curious about how the fluid gets sprayed onto the windshield. It doesnt appear to be sprayed similar to other cars I have ever driven where its a mist all over the window, instead its a stream right in front of the wipers. Is that correct or do the nozzels need to be calibrated to spray more at angle?