Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like my X-Ice3's as well as they have provided good traction and are quiet and efficient. Why not go with the newer version of them, the X-Ice Snow?
I had ice x 3 on model y performance with custom 20 inch martain wheels.
1 had an issue, I went to discount tire for a replacement, they have told me that the ice x will not support the weight of the car.
They refused to replace the tire.

I see them being sold in packages on t sporting.
I'm confused,,has anyone else had this issue, or was the computer wrong at discount tire.

Just ordered the 19 Conti Viking Contact 7 snow tires mounted and balanced on EV01+ alloy rims (Fast Wheels) with Tesla TPMS. Will report back on the ride quality etc. We get a dump of snow occasionally where we live but wanted to be safer than sorry. If I like the rims I might switch out the all seasons and mount the snow tires on the Gemini wheels

Reactions: YYZblues
Meant to add to that last post that the order was through PCMTire.com in Canada. The tires are XL and support the weight of the Model Y. Also, Telsa seems to be forever out of stock on the Gemini/Pirelli winter tire package. Like everything else, supply is an issue.

I really like my X-Ice3's as well as they have provided good traction and are quiet and efficient. Why not go with the newer version of them, the X-Ice Snow?
Michelin is not making that size for the foreseeable future. If you can find some online then great, but I can't get them through either of the dealers in my area as they are completely sold out at the distribution hubs for Michelin and are not "in production" at this time...

I had ice x 3 on model y performance with custom 20 inch martain wheels.
1 had an issue, I went to discount tire for a replacement, they have told me that the ice x will not support the weight of the car.
They refused to replace the tire.

I see them being sold in packages on t sporting.
I'm confused,,has anyone else had this issue, or was the computer wrong at discount tire.

Was discount tire referring to the size 255/40R20? x-ice Snow? tirerack.com show the weight rating to be 1819 lbs, which is adequate considering the model Y's rear axle load rating. I have heard of some Discount shops only mounting tires that meet or exceed the rating of the OEM tire, even if the tire in question meets the axle load rating for the car.

What size tire do you have on your Martian? Who put them on for you initially?

Just ordered the 19 Conti Viking Contact 7 snow tires mounted and balanced on EV01+ alloy rims (Fast Wheels) with Tesla TPMS. Will report back on the ride quality etc. We get a dump of snow occasionally where we live but wanted to be safer than sorry. If I like the rims I might switch out the all seasons and mount the snow tires on the Gemini wheels
I'm awaiting delivery of my MY and also ordered the exact same tires and Tesla TPMS but on different rims. Read so many stellar reviews on these tires. Looking forward to your feedback.

I'm awaiting delivery of my MY and also ordered the exact same tires and Tesla TPMS but on different rims. Read so many stellar reviews on these tires. Looking forward to your feedback.
Just installed them today (delayed in arriving due to BC weather conditions). Nicely balanced, smooth and quiet. Now it won’t snow because I have snow tires on…

Attachments

• 94FB0487-9AE6-435F-BA92-7E3B0D033795.jpeg
    94FB0487-9AE6-435F-BA92-7E3B0D033795.jpeg
    836.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 844FC465-FE5F-470F-8996-E4EAEE8F52E0.jpeg
    844FC465-FE5F-470F-8996-E4EAEE8F52E0.jpeg
    930.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 63579BD5-70B8-4AED-B735-5187FA38DCC1.jpeg
    63579BD5-70B8-4AED-B735-5187FA38DCC1.jpeg
    800.9 KB · Views: 181
About to buy Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 255/45 R19. Concerned about noise. Had Michelin X-ice on previous M3 and liked them but not made in 255/45 R19 size. Comments re noise and performance?
Hey after buying and installing the sottozero 3 255/45 R19. The next time I get winter tires I will go with the wider sottozero 3 255/55 R19. The 45s pull in a bit and there is almost no amount of tire to protect the wheel.

Hope that helps!

Hey after buying and installing the sottozero 3 255/45 R19. The next time I get winter tires I will go with the wider sottozero 3 255/55 R19. The 45s pull in a bit and there is almost no amount of tire to protect the wheel.

Hope that helps!

I think you're mixing up the numbers. The first number is the tread width. 255/45R19 = 255mm nominal tread width. 45 is the sidewall height as a percentage of tread width. The second size has a taller sidewall that's 55% of the tread width, instead of 45% like your current size.

To get a wider tire, you'd be looking for a 265 or 275. You'd have to step down to a -40R19 to keep a similar overall diameter, otherwise you'd be a bit taller in overall diameter.