Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wireless phone charger doesn't work with iPhone 13 pro max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Took delivery of my MYLR 2 days ago and loving it already. Few issues here and there no big deal but overall a great car. The issue thats bothering me the most is my mobile charger inside the car. I have an apple 13 pro max and it doesn't charge in the car no matter if I have a slim case or a thick case. I have tried both ways. Every other mobile phone charges, my kids have no issues and neither my husband, I guess its due to the camera's sticking out on my phone. Is there a way to fix that easily?

Hello,

We have a thread on the same topic in the model 3 subforum. I dont have this phone so I dont know if they solved it, but I am providing a link for you so you can read through it and see if they came to any solution.

I realize this is the model Y subforum and not model 3, but the cars share a large number of parts / configuration, and I suspect that in this respect they are likely exactly the same.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I have the same issue. Wife's 13 Pro works fine, my 13 Pro Max doesn't. Works w/out case.

My solution is to use a swing-out phone mount behind the screen, and just attach a magsafe charger inside a magsafe holder holder, and run a Type C extension into the 2nd row's Type C port. I tucked the cable in the side of the arm rest area so it's not visible.

Attachments

• Image 21.png
    Image 21.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 874
You’re not missing the usb-c’s in the center console are you? Although this may be a thing of the past now, but some 2022’s were shipped without them in conjunction with the wireless pads being non-active. I also have an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the OE case and it charges as intended.

I got a MagSafe holder that attaches to the top left back of the center screen, so that I could use Waze on trips.

Then, I discovered my old iPhone XR didn't have MagSafe built into the phone. So, I had to get a special case for it, with MagSafe holder-only built into the case.

My phone in its previous case had charged in my 2021 MY just fine, but in its new MagSafe case, it only charges very occasionally, and then only for a minute. So, if I need it to charge it, I either take it out of the case, or plug it into a cable.

The OP mentioned that they have tried cases of varying thicknesses without success, and one of the replies mentioned that their 13 Pro Max only charged without a case.

I hope you find a solution that you're happy with, but the convenience of Waze is worth the inconvenience of occasionally messing with the case or a cord, at least for me.

I had my MY delivered yesterday. I noticed that my iPhone 13 Pro Max in a MagSafe Otterbox defender case doesn't charge in either mobile charge slot but my wife's 13 Pro and daughter's 13 charges on both slots without any issue. The fit for the 13 Pro Max in the case is very tight. I just read this thread and see the same thing reported in other threads. I went outside to try my Pro Max upside down. Not luck. I guess I'll take it out of the case and try again. Good thread.

5 watt wireless charging is useless even if your phone does fit. Such a slow way to charge. If you really care about wireless, you should retrofit a Magsafe charging puck to replace the Tesla charging coils. Or just use a wire and charge from the usb-c port. For most new android phones, I think the max wattage is 15.

5 watt wireless charging is useless even if your phone does fit. Such a slow way to charge. If you really care about wireless, you should retrofit a Magsafe charging puck to replace the Tesla charging coils. Or just use a wire and charge from the usb-c port. For most new android phones, I think the max wattage is 15.
I've modified the tray with a MagSafe charging puck (keep in mind I have the old console). Main problem is you can only get one in there, if you want two you have run the second charger to a cigarette lighter and use an adapter. Sucks