Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Wiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: T-Will and Watts_Up
I think they could step down to 12V from the high voltage pack, but probably best to allocate a small part of the battery to low voltage that can still be isolated from the high voltage pack when needed/required. Also the entire legacy 12V system could be re-imagined. I don't know the technical either. Obviously a low voltage system is needed for safety so that monitoring functions etc can still work in the event the high voltage pack is disconnected (crash, repair, etc)

Reactions: OPRCE
I think they could step down to 12V from the high voltage pack, but probably best to allocate a small part of the battery to low voltage that can still be isolated from the high voltage pack when needed/required. Also the entire legacy 12V system could be re-imagined. I don't know the technical either. Obviously a low voltage system is needed for safety so that monitoring functions etc can still work in the event the high voltage pack is disconnected (crash, repair, etc)

seems feasible to design some kind of kirk key interlock that will isolate a 12V portion of battery the HV battery in the event of HV pack disconnect and use a DC-DC converter under normal operation

I hadn't thought of it being isolated cells. That makes sense. My bewilderment was around the HV contactor. It is open when the car is off but it would need to be closed in order to provide the current for DC to DC down to 12V. Unless they have some kind of smaller contactor that only pulls 12V from the main pack. Looking forward to learning about this when they are ready to disclose the specs.

I'm curious, from a technical standpoint, how they are going to handle the 12V void. It would be great to see it gone though. Extra weight and a maintenance item.

The Model 3 already has two DC-DC converters. The one at the back of the car in the Power Conversion System already produces 12v to take the load off the battery (more so than the Model S/X), a move Tesla apparently made to lengthen the life of the 12v battery.

I don't think it would be too hard, technically, to tap the power from the DC-DC converter to engage the contactors, which route high voltage to the inverter/motor assy. That can be done only by the 12v battery at present. However, since Tesla has not done that to date, there must be a good reason. If I had to guess it would be that it is safety related.

Still have the 12V battery.

20200319_150052.jpg
20200319_150746.jpg