Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y with new headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had two cars, I sold mine last September and haven't needed a second since. In fact, we rarely drive the one remaining car.

I can't really come up with a proper reason to rush my purchase. So I'll wait for the lights, and if someone mentioned the new cells are around the corner - you bet I'll wait for those!
There is also a new AP computer and cameras coming in a year or so.

The new headlights being used on the Performance Model Y have a block like, more even distribution of the head light low and high beam pattern. The headlights currently, still used in the Long Range Model Y have a hot spot in the center of the beam pattern. The major advantage of the new headlights will only be realized when US regulations permit the beam pattern to be programmed to change with the speed of the vehicle.
Given the pace of US deregulation of lights I sure would not hold my breath on that. They still do not allow full sequential turn signals only as they have had for years in the EU.

Reactions: MikeHawk
With the earnings call info on Samsung selling the new headlights through Hella to Tesla… I’m sure not till June or July we should start seeing the new headlights on most.
Highly doubt they will just keep these new lights on the performance model only.

Will the new headlights be able to turn on and off certain segments of the low/high beams? Currently, the US does not allow this but I know certain areas of Europe does allows this. Some manufacturers call them Matrix/Dynamic headlights (Many other names as well).

Will the new headlights be able to turn on and off certain segments of the low/high beams? Currently, the US does not allow this but I know certain areas of Europe does allows this. Some manufacturers call them Matrix/Dynamic headlights (Many other names as well).
No. This is why Tesla is in no hurry to get these units out. Only the P models have them for the moment - but their “matrix” effect is locked out via software.

Reactions: Kee_Chain
I got off the phone with a Sales Advisor of Tesla and he confirmed that MY 2021 VIN #1794xx has the updated headlights. He also reached out to the delivery department to confirm. But IF when delivery day comes, can I ask to be reassigned if I don't get the updated headlights? Thanks in advance!!!!

MY Pearl White, Black and White, AWD LR, FSD, 7 Seater, no Tow, VIN 1794xx,

Reactions: burn1010
I got off the phone with a Sales Advisor of Tesla and he confirmed that MY 2021 VIN #1794xx has the updated headlights. He also reached out to the delivery department to confirm. But IF when delivery day comes, can I ask to be reassigned if I don't get the updated headlights? Thanks in advance!!!!

What’s the build date on the car?

I think it is very unlikely you will have the new lights, but I hope you do. Keep us updated!!!

We had two cars, I sold mine last September and haven't needed a second since. In fact, we rarely drive the one remaining car.

I can't really come up with a proper reason to rush my purchase. So I'll wait for the lights, and if someone mentioned the new cells are around the corner - you bet I'll wait for those!
I'm not sure the 4680s in the MY will make all that much of a difference early on. Its not like Tesla is going to up the MY range to 500+ miles for the same price. However, if you need the extra range, it could be possible Tesla may have an upgrade option for an LR+ or something. I wouldn't wait for 4680s at all unless the current range doesn't suit your driving needs. The 4680s will make more of an impact to produce the semi and plaid versions.

The real consumer benefits for the M3 and MY are probably another 5 years out. The corporate benefits will start to be realized in the next year probably once the new giga factories are up and running with the 4680s. Tesla should be able to increase their profit margins.