Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched some youtube clips of the Model Y which seemed to suggest that the Model Y is a Model 3 with a bigger body. It was also clear that whilst the Model Y is not being sold in the UK yet it is being sold in other countries. I went into the Tesla web site and changed it to Germany and sure enough I could buy a Model Y for delivery in November AND . . . . after converting the Euros to pounds it came out at exactly the same price as a Model 3!! I then went to buy a German Model 3 and they are cheaper there than here!! Why???

Maybe worth some research into different taxation rates and availability of grants in differing countries. Different counties will always have different on the road prices.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that as a non-resident in the EU, you're probably not allowed to buy a car anyway. Even if you did, you'd have to pay UK VAT at 20% the moment it touches British soil.

The Y will come here eventually. We'll just have to wait a touch longer

A while back you could order a right hand drive in say the Netherlands and bring it back into the UK. Saved about £6k on a BMW 320i at the time. I am pretty sure I had to pay tax then and also get the car dvla inspected. Even with all that it was a great saving and myself and my girlfriend made a holiday of it all.

Doubt you could get Tesla in Europe to order a right hand drive. Guess we will all just have to be patient whilst the giga factory comes online and Tesla decide it’s time for us lowly Brits to be honoured by the appearance of the model Y.

First ever Post.

I am looking at a M.3 L.R to use as a Private Hire Taxi in Liverpool but I always preferred the M.Y from a looks point of view, plus its a bit bigger. I have also seen the M3 on the Tesla German Website is 41,990 Euro which given the exchange rate of £1/1.15E surely the UK Standard M.3 should be 41,990 * 0.85 = Around £35,000. Why are we in the UK having to pay so much over the odds for these cars. It looks like Germany doesn't offer subsidies on Tesla Cars as well.

Given the below figures can we expect to be ripped off again by Tesla when the Model Y is released. I've noticed that the Tesla Website now says order here on the Y instead of 'kept informed' surely this Y can only be a matter of weeks away.

USA - M.Y Price - $49,990 $/£ = $1.37 - £1.00 - We can ignore this difference as import and other taxes are added.

Germany - M.Y Price Euro 56,990. = Euro 1.15 - £1.00 means the exchanged price should be £48,441 for a UK Model Y - The import taxes to Germany must be the same as the UK because of the EU Single Market. I haven't heard anything about the UK increasing import tax of US or Chinese cars since Brexit. But I can guarantee you when the M.Y is released in the UK it will cost around £54,990 because they are ripping us off.

I do around 30,000 miles per year and with First Year Allowance of 100% it is all tax deductible. Financially, its a no brainer it is cheaper to run month to month than my current Mondeo which drinks £600 of diesel every month.

I wont be very happy if the new M.Y is over £50k. I might just by a used M.3 if that's the case.

Most people dont call it rip off Britain for no reason but yet here we are and it is what it is. This is not just a tesla issue after all. More however you should be aiming this at Teslas PR department imho ;)

Some think we will get the Chinese one which means we would pay 10% import while a German built one would be duty free...
The Government will find some way around that - I dont see that German Factory producing anything for quite a while. Why did he ever go there in the first place., into the belly of the primary competition. No Model Y coming from there until 2023. My expected price for the M.Y once released in the UK is £53,990. I'm maxed out at £49,990 even that is too far for me but I will work harder to have it another £4k is silly. Used Tesla prices are going to plummet once this bottleneck for used cars gets cleared. I reckon we will see a 15-20% drop in a matter of weeks after things clear up. Only an idiot would buy a 2 year old Tesla for the same price as new one.

Once Germany is running this year, they'll only be duty free for a while because of rules of origin around local source for battery components and the deliberate intention of UK gov to blame everything on the EU.

Tesla might not tool up for RHD for a while an additional cost when they will be able to sell every Y they make and it'll be LR/P only.

Can see us getting China cars for 9 months yet.

I am looking at a M.3 L.R to use as a Private Hire Taxi in Liverpool but I always preferred the M.Y from a looks point of view, plus its a bit bigger. I have also seen the M3 on the Tesla German Website is 41,990 Euro which given the exchange rate of £1/1.15E surely the UK Standard M.3 should be 41,990 * 0.85 = Around £35,000. Why are we in the UK having to pay so much over the odds for these cars. It looks like Germany doesn't offer subsidies on Tesla Cars as well.

I can only think that this must be the first time you have compared vehicle prices between countries. This has always been an issue for many many years ... in fact ever since similar models have been on sale in different countries. This includes before, during and after membership of the EU and applies to most/all brands.

Reactions: Js1977 and gangzoom
Status
Not open for further replies.