Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model year 2017 - when is Model X officially a 2017 model year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When is the Model X officially manufactured as a model year 2017. All of the car magazines/reviewer refer to the current (as of June 2016 at least) as a 2016 Tesla Model X. Most other manufacturers start producing model year 2017 vehicles starting in July-Sept timeframe. So when is the Model X going to officially be declared a 2017 model year? Anyone know?

When is the Model X officially manufactured as a model year 2017. All of the car magazines/reviewer refer to the current (as of June 2016 at least) as a 2016 Tesla Model X. Most other manufacturers start producing model year 2017 vehicles starting in July-Sept timeframe. So when is the Model X going to officially be declared a 2017 model year? Anyone know?
Your question is the very reason that Tesla doesn't use model years. If they did people would wait to order when it was close to the next model year. It institutes updates when they are ready, as a tech product would rather than a car.

When we got our new Model S P85 in early 2014, I asked the same question. I told them I wanted a Model S with a 2014 Vin Number, this is important. Do some research on how to decode Tesla Vin Numbers. Even though we ordered it in November of 2013 we specified a Model year of 2014 and were willing to wait. Our 2014 Model S was delivered on February 11, 2014. In January of 2014 they were still delivering left over 2013 models.

Tesla does not use the traditional "model year" approach that all other car companies use, where for example in the 2016 fall timeframe they start to sell cars that they call "2017 model year" cars. Tesla does not do that. As far as Tesla is concerned, cars they build starting on January 1, 2016 are cars built in 2016. Cars built starting January 1, 2017 are cars built in 2017. That is all.

When we got our new Model S P85 in early 2014, I asked the same question. I told them I wanted a Model S with a 2014 Vin Number, this is important. Do some research on how to decode Tesla Vin Numbers. Even though we ordered it in November of 2013 we specified a Model year of 2014 and were willing to wait. Our 2014 Model S was delivered on February 11, 2014. In January of 2014 they were still delivering left over 2013 models.
In January 2014 Tesla was delivering cars built in late 2013. They were not 2013 "models" in the sense that a car built on December 31, 2013 was in any way different than a car built on January 1, 2014. There were no differences between the cars other than the VIN code showing the year they were built.

Tesla introduces changes to their cars when they feel the changes are ready to go into production vehicles. Tesla does not follow a "model year" approach and introduce a bunch of changes at once in the fall timeframe, or in any particular timeframe. It varies.

This topic has been discussed many many times on TMC but the car buying public is so used to the traditional auto model year approach of starting to sell new/revised car models several months before the end of the calendar year that many people have a hard time understanding that Tesla does not use that approach.

To further confuse things, many car magazines and car websites that publish reviews frequently make errors by describing a Tesla as being a certain "model year" in the traditional way. They are incorrect.

Digit 10 of the VIN is the Model Year:

C = 2012
D = 2013
E = 2014
F = 2015
G = 2016

From my understanding, up to 2015 this digit corresponded correctly with the actual year the vehicle was made. However, starting in late 2015 cars were given a "G" even though they were built in 2015. I could be incorrect in this regard, but I recall people posting that here. I think Tesla was forced to make this change because a lot of people where holding out for the changed VIN letter that it caused a lull in production at year's end.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.