Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody. Posting old information as new.
Tesla don’t have made any retrofits for last 2 years.
They were still offering MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades as of last year, I'm guessing those are still available at least until MCU2 inventory runs out. They've also told us repeatedly they would consider retrofitting nav into our old S, but they would need to tear it apart to see how feasible and costly that would actually be, they don't really know what parts are in the old cars until they take things apart and look. 😅

But 3/Y are so high volume, I also doubt they will offer MCU3 retrofit anytime soon. In these chip shortage times they're going to prioritize building new cars, not risk any parts inventory for unnecessary upgrades. And service centers are really overwhelmed these days, it doesn't make sense to give them a potentially huge number of upgrade appointments when they can barely handle current volume of more essential repairs and maintenance.

New factories coming online only makes these factors more extreme. I would bet money (not all my worth, just some :)) we won't see an official MCU3 upgrade in 2022, and probably not 2023 either. Maybe eventually we will if all these circumstances change enough. Just my best guess!

I've seen some reports of the new Model 3's having info in the owner's manual regarding ventilated seats and heated windshield wipers. Has anyone got a 2022 with those features actually installed? My new LR AWD should be arriving soon and I'm hoping for the ventilated seats....would be a huge benefit as my old 3 seats got a wee bit warm in the summer while driving.

Last edited:
You mean other than the Infotainment Upgrade and the Pedestrian Warning Speaker? So yes, they do retrofits, just not a lot of them.

(There are also the AP3 computer and upgraded cameras for people with AP2 vehicles, but those are linked to paying for FSD.)
Those are old chips, there is old stock.
Elon said on Twitter that they can do camera updates but how many is done? Zero.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
If anyone takes delivery of M3 with laminated rear glass in next few days/weeks, please post here.
Found this tracking spreadsheet on Twitter. There appear to be at least 4 reports of laminated (dual pane) rear windows. Many responded that they didn't know. 2022 Tesla Updates Tracker (Responses)

2022-01-07.png

Tesla makes most of their US deliveries at the end of each quarter so almost everything coming off the line between now and March will be sent overseas.
Any US deliveries this week are likely to be December builds that had a delivery rejection or were delayed at the factory for rework.
Does Fremont ship 3/Y cars overseas? I thought MIC supplied the rest of the world and (soon Germany for Europe) while Fremont supplied North America.

Giga Shanghai exports 70% of its production to 10 European countries and a few Asian countries.
Fremont exported about 50% of it's 2021 production. They produced about 600,000 cars and made 300,000 US deliveries with the remainder going to Canada, Mexico, Middle East, and other European countries.
I understand Fremont exports the Model S/X and that China exports its Model 3/Y (as I said above). You seemed to state below that the US Fremont made Model 3 are being exported overseas. I was just asking if that was the case bc my understanding is that all M3 coming out of Fremont don’t get exported overseas and are all for the North American market.

Tesla makes most of their US deliveries at the end of each quarter so almost everything coming off the line between now and March will be sent overseas.”

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlThompson
I understand Fremont exports the Model S/X and that China exports its Model 3/Y (as I said above). You seemed to state below that the US Fremont made Model 3 are being exported overseas. I was just asking if that was the case bc my understanding is that all M3 coming out of Fremont don’t get exported overseas and are all for the North American market.

Tesla makes most of their US deliveries at the end of each quarter so almost everything coming off the line between now and March will be sent overseas.”
They changed about Q3 2021 that EU cars (3) come from China. Then Q4 2021 first Model Y was sent from China to EU. Before that those was coming from USA, Fremont.

S and X are currently made in Fremont and that will stay as only place where those are made.

They changed about Q3 2021 that EU cars (3) come from China. Then Q4 2021 first Model Y was sent from China to EU. Before that those was coming from USA, Fremont.

S and X are currently made in Fremont and that will stay as only place where those are made.
Yeah that was my understanding as well. I just didn’t know if Gauss Guzzler knew something I didn’t.

Reactions: CarlThompson