Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had put a hold on my order via online chat. I chatted first week of November and the hold was effective until January 1. I would try going that route.
Yep okay. I did similar, was on hold till Jan 1 but auto released around that time frame. I was assigned a VIN Jan 10th. Made up some excuses of travel but they are like "no problem, we will hold the car till you are back."

Looks like it's possible that the new processor requires the upgraded low voltage battery. Has anyone seen any pictures of a model 3 delivered with rear laminated glass? I'm still yet to see it. Also, just an observation but the fact that there's a mix of processors would surely mean that the Atom processor stock has already depleted and that all new builds would be Ryzen, surely. Why wouldn't they run the old stock to 0 before switching over, unless there's stock shortages...

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Looks like it's possible that the new processor requires the upgraded low voltage battery. Has anyone seen any pictures of a model 3 delivered with rear laminated glass? I'm still yet to see it. Also, just an observation but the fact that there's a mix of processors would surely mean that the Atom processor stock has already depleted and that all new builds would be Ryzen, surely. Why wouldn't they run the old stock to 0 before switching over, unless there's stock shortages...
It does seem the new low voltage battery and MCU3 go hand-in-hand. Makes sense for minimizing the number of build configs they need to test and support. Does not bode well for an official MCU3 retrofit ever happening.

As for depleting stock, there can be reasons to not do a hard cutover all at once. Building a small batch early and doing field tests is a common practice. Hopefully Tesla did this internally first before any customer deliveries. Then starting customer builds with a small batch is not a bad idea, even if it seems unusual for a product that's already in mass production. Customers will always stress your product and find issues beyond your internal testing. If nothing terrible percolates up from those initial customers then let the floodgates loose!

Also are there are multiple 3/Y assembly lines at Fremont? If so they might cut them over at different times, no real need for them to precisely deplete their MCU2 stock at the same exact time on all lines.

I imagine this would be different if Tesla operated like a traditional car maker where improvements like these are advertised/promised in advance by model year.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Possibly there were wire harness changes for both updates. So a car can only get both or neigther.

Does anyone have any information on FSD2 or HW4.0? Elon said that it was about two years away, two years ago and the report linked below says 2022 for mass production. I assume everything is delayed though with COVID ect. It would suck to get delivery to find out that the car doesnt have the new FSD computer that is supposed to be 3 times as powerful and draw less power. Ive also read that they are waiting for the cybertruck to launch FSD2 or HW4.0 so i guess that it would be 2023 or 2024?

Even for us M3 folk, it should be encouraging to see the rapid change in MY deliveries after 1/11. Hopefully an equally rapid transition will happen in the next few weeks with the M3s. 👍

Or we could be unlucky and Tesla has decided that the Ryzens go to the Model Ys only for the near future because the Model Y costs more and Tesla makes more profit from them. Could be a way to help persuade Model 3 buyers to pay the extra $8k for a Y instead.

Or we could be unlucky and Tesla has decided that the Ryzens go to the Model Ys only for the near future because the Model Y costs more and Tesla makes more profit from them. Could be a way to help persuade Model 3 buyers to pay the extra $8k for a Y instead.
For some tiny upgrade, hell no. It's over 35 000$ more with the incentives compared to a RWD where I live.

I can live without Intel Atom, heated wipers and a Lithium 12v battery.

Model Y in my country (Canada) is $20,000 more than the Model 3 when you factor in that it doesn't qualify for any EV incentives.

Edit: $25,000 more, sorry.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
Do performance model 3s in China already have all the new upgrades? Ryzen, lithium battery, rear dual glass, LG battery, hairpin motor, new brake pads, etc? What would be the pros/cons of the new LG battery and hairpin motor and is it worth waiting for? If those features aren't in China yet then it will be a while for the US
Hairpin motor should be more efficient... i'm hoping it will output more power.
make it faster than the 3 then maybe.