Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Motor Production Plant: Giga Texas
Production Date: 9th of December 2022
Unique Motor identifier: 000HYB

The new 4D1 and 4D5 are permanent magnet motors as all previous rear motors in the Model Y.

It's weird that they didn't use the 4D5 Motor in your car, as that would have been the correct Long range base motor of the latest generation.

What's your VIN letter that identifies it as a performance motor in the US?
My VIN is 7SAYGDEF4PA049XXX and the F in position 8 identifies the motor as "Dual Motor - Performance Model Y."

Reactions: eivissa
My VIN is 7SAYGDEF4PA049XXX and the F in position 8 identifies the motor as "Dual Motor - Performance Model Y."
I should also add, position 11 is an A, which means it was an Austin build. As I understand, Austin doesn't even build any Performance vehicles, just LR and AWD. Perhaps Austin received some of the new 4D1 Performance motors and decided to just install in the LR and limit via the software?

Also, you previously asked about Scan My Tesla" app, what additional details would that provide?

This is how we in Europe decode the VIN as there is a leaked official VIN decoder in the type certificate.
1674460145019.png

The US VIN structure is obviously not "up to speed" yet, as you are getting an "F", which is a "Wire Winding Performance Motor".
Although it is certain, that the 4D1 has a Hairpin Winding stator:
1674460306186.png

Perhaps Austin received some of the new 4D1 Performance motors and decided to just install in the LR and limit via the software?
Yes, most likely. The motor itsself doesnt need to be limited actually, but in the Long Range the Battery Power will be. A long range without boost caps at 970-980 Amps. This power is then split between the two motors. So, although the motor is not able to go to its full potential (with more Amps), we might still get a glimps at its characteristics with Scan My Tesla.
Also, you previously asked about Scan My Tesla" app, what additional details would that provide?
SMT with an Android device can log Power and Torque curves vs. Speed. which would tell us a lot about the characteristics of this Motor. All current generation motors, be it Wire Winding or Hairpin (3D1, 3D5, 3D6, 3D7) go up in power with speed until reaching around 80km/h and then they drop again. The Plaid for example is so powerful, because it holds its power pretty much steady after reaching its maximum power.

The main limiting factor in the Model 3 and Y dual motor is the 3D3 front motor as it drops in power significantly with speed, so a change there would be the biggest deal (as done with the Model S 2021 Refresh!).

Still, the 4D1 is currently the biggest wildcard and most interesting new Tesla motor out there, so any data is much appreciated!

Just to give you an example of power and torque measurements with Scan My Tesla...
This is data from when I measured one of the first MYP out of Giga Berlin (Nr.15 signed by E.M.) with the LG M50 Battery Pack and the (then) newest generation 3D6 Hairpin rear motor:
177dafa748297541718af71284afdee3c5ad9477.jpeg

cf3892ec19296c6d1c8cd2e43fb22068dcbbdd61.png

3ba222510a1b76cd2ec92e5c5dac2598c2767d94.png

Source

The main limiting factor in the Model 3 and Y dual motor is the 3D3 front motor as it drops in power significantly with speed, so a change there would be the biggest deal (as done with the Model S 2021 Refresh!).

Still, the 4D1 is currently the biggest wildcard and most interesting new Tesla motor out there, so any data is much appreciated!
This is great info, thanks for sharing. I just checked my front motor and confirmed I have the 3D3 (see attached). In regards to the "Scan My Tesla" app, can I gather any info through Bluetooth or do I need to buy some adapter cables?

Attachments

• IMG_20230123_075545631.jpg
    IMG_20230123_075545631.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 152
THANKS! has anyone driven the M3P or MYP with the new hairpin motor and noticed a difference?
This is only like the second spotting of this new Performance motor, but in a power limited Long Range.
Also is the 3D1 motor the new hairpin motor for the M3P?
The 3D1 ist the old main motor (Model 3/Y/S/X), which was introduced in 2018 I beleive. The 4D1 is the first real successor in the US market.
So ATX cars only?
For far only spotted out of Austin, yes and only production of the last weeks.
I ordered a 7 seater so those are all Fremont right?
Thats too spedific for me to know from oversees ;-)
hairpin rear motors advantages?
These Drive Unit Cat 4 motors are still unknown, but when I switched from Drive Unit CAT 1 (Wire windings) to Drive Unit Cat 2/3 (Hairpin Windings) I could measure more power at higher speeds, more torque and better efficiency. The significantly higher 30 minute power of the Drive Unit Cat 4, must surely translate into real world power that people notice.

It might need the usage in a Performance model or buying the boost in a LR for that.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
eivissa, I started another thread in the Model Y forum asking which motor their new car has. People are starting to respond and some others do have the 4D1 motor. Most are MY LR from Austin with F in the 8th digit, but there is at least one MYP from Fremont with the 4D1. Just to clarify, the the RD07 code you are showing should translate into the 4D1 motor?

The other thread can be found here: What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

The placard photo actually shows it being the 3D1 motor, which also has hairpin windings and is typically used in a Performance vehicle (equal to the 980 wire winding)
The 4D1 is the very first US motor with a hairpin stator. 3D1 (980) and 3D5 (990) are both wire windings.
to clarify, the the RD07 code you are showing should translate into the 4D1 motor?
Yes Option Code RD07 means 4D1 Performance Motor. Soon there will probably also be RD08 for the 4D5 Long Range / Base rear motor.

It's the same general area but behind the front tire. I would suspect almost all vehicles have the 960/3D3 motor (it's the rear motor that contributes to most of the power). This is a pic of my front motor placard...
Looks to be the 960/3D3 as suspected so no mystery there!

Attachments

• FAEA65B2-9989-48DB-8B47-94B43FC96012.jpeg
    FAEA65B2-9989-48DB-8B47-94B43FC96012.jpeg
    578.2 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: JCLJorgenson