Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s no guarantee the updated MCU will land in the first Q of ‘22. Infact, you could be waiting several quarters.

Tesla don’t do model numbers or yearly releases. What’s happened here is they’ve filled papers for upcoming changes with zero indication of when they are likely to land.

Equally, it’s likely a retrofit will be offered.

People with existing orders are likley to get the current MCU until the stock is depleted and the manufacturing line is altered, and they’ll likely only do that once production of the new MCU is at full scale.

There’s no indication when those changes will land. It’s likely they will be drip fed in, like the new batteries on the SR+ and LR.

Yes I was told by multiple reps that I would have HW 3.0 but 2.5. Only problem I experience is slowness w/ infotainment

I wonder if retrofit will be offfered 2.5->3_>?

For reference, this is a 0-200kph pull of a M3P 2021 showing battery power, front power and rear power.
  • The orange front motor has its peak power later, but quickly drops afterwards
  • The grey rear motor peaks early, but then pulls very linear. This curve should be 16kW higher in 2022.
  • The blue line is battery power, which shows that peak combined power is highest at around 90kph.
1a41378dbc7a3e62147bce786fd50546f60e3d12.jpeg
Looking at this graph, the peak power of the front and rear motors is higher than 158kW and 239kW respectively. Combined there is about 420kW of power.

A guy on reddit took delivery yesterday, VIN 139XXX and did not have the Ryzen chip but did have the new 12v battery and front camera housing. Seems at the moment it's like playing the lottery as to whether or not the chip will be in the car. Hopefully in the next couple of months it becomes standard as they exhaust the old Intel Atom infotainment systems.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
Nope. The "hairpin wound" has to do with the windings on the stator. It uses square copper instead of copper strands so you get a tighter packing of more copper in a smaller space making it more efficient, and don't need to tie/stitch it in place. (This is something the Sandy Munro was wondering why Tesla hadn't adopted this yet, as other OEMs had already.)

An example of hairpin windings:

2-Figure5-1.png

Oh … that’s nice looking. I don’t know if the math shows if that’s a better motor or not, but I want one!

Hi

I've placed an order for a model 3 LR, with an estimated delivery of June 2022.
That being said, i'm quite confused about the current "state" of the changes. What upgrades will my M3 have, compared to a 2021 or 2020 Model 3?
If new stock comes in, i was thinking of buying now instead of waiting for June. Would i be missing out on some upgrades that i'd be sure to have in the June Model?
I live in Switzerland, if that should be relevant.

Yes, i've been reading about the new 12v battery and Ryzen. I did a test drive with a 2021 LR 2 weeks ago, and while the Infotainment was fine while driving, it was extremely slow when trying to use the browser, youtube etc.
I'd definitely want to get one with the Ryzen. So far, i haven't found any confirmation of someone getting the Ryzen in EU.

Yes, i've been reading about the new 12v battery and Ryzen. I did a test drive with a 2021 LR 2 weeks ago, and while the Infotainment was fine while driving, it was extremely slow when trying to use the browser, youtube etc.
I'd definitely want to get one with the Ryzen. So far, i haven't found any confirmation of someone getting the Ryzen in EU.

Take a look through this thread I moved your post to. It includes a discussion on the changes.

I'm pretty sure they just used old pictures. I've watched a few yt videos of people picking up the 2022 version in December. All of them had the upgraded interior (so no piano black anymore). That's just what i saw in the videos tho. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny.

Reactions: tm1v2