Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does bleeding edge fab space mean?

To try and generalize... the fabrication plants for making chips are working on smaller processes like 3 / 5 / 7 nanometer and companies like apple etc are buying up as much of the capacity as possible for those smaller processes so they can get chips for iphones etc. As new devices tend to use small nanometer processes those "bleeding edge" fabs are in high demand leaving older nodes like the 14 nanometer one (that can be used to apparently make the MCU3/Z) in lower demand.

With all that said there's still lots of demand for silicon out there, but in the above example Tesla isn't competing with apple / samsung etc for the same space on the smallest fab nodes so things should be better for supply... hopefully.

Could be months before we see these changes in US. New MCU looks good, but Atom CPU speed has never been an issue. I guess it would be nice if it rebooted faster than the current ~20 seconds, but i've only had to reboot the car one time haha.

Tesla fans,

I was online this evening looking at news about the Model 3 Performance because i have one on order (delivery date 12Dec-31Dec) and am quite excited. Anyways, i came across this article that discusses a new performance model 3 coming to Europe 2022. Anyone think this is a legitime source/news? If so, when do you think the new performance model will make its way to the U.S? Also, i know there have been multiple posts about this so i won't go too much into detail but, what is the possibly we see some form of power upgrade for current M3P owners, with the acceleration boost for AWD LR owners it just seems too close.. Thoughts? Lastly, the article also shows updated UI coming as well, could this be the V.11 Software that was promised a year ago? thoughts on this as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-08 202008.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 202008.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 320
FOMO is always strong with buying a new Tesla. Seems like something new and better is always...just around the corner.

Years ago Elon mentioned that people should buy a new Tesla when they need or want one. Do not concern yourself with not getting all the improvements that will be coming "soon". You can only buy the car that is produced and available today, never able to get the coming soon improvements. Drive and enjoy your car, and then trade it in and buy another one when your needs change or there are enough improvements to make the upgrade worth while. Over your ownership experience you will get a bunch of updates and improvements that come OTA. That keeps your car relatively fresh and enjoyable.

Gonna wait till new model year...new computer...better glass...better headlights...improved manufacturing techniques...hopefully an new color...better panel gaps...new seats...the upcoming refresh...a potential tax credit...a state credit...a utility credit...replacement of a worrysome part...floor mats...automatic frunk...air suspension...the new motor...the new battery...softer suspension...firmer suspension...totally finished FSD...the next carpool sticker color...etc. Waiting can always be justified with FOMO!

Moderator: Can this be posted in the "What's Next for the Model 3" thread?

(Moderator notes)

While moderators do check most threads, there isnt a guarantee that we will see something like this, especially in a long standing thread like that one, unless we are also personally following the discussion for our own reasons. If you want to get a moderators attention with a request like this, the best thing to do is use the REPORT function and report the post, and state why you are reporting it.

With that being said, I didnt feel the "whats next for model 3" thread was the best home for this, because someone had already started a thread on these changes (actually a few different people started different threads, and more will likely continue to do so).

I combined them the ones I saw in model 3 and the posts in the thread on 2021 differences that actually were about 2022 differences into this existing thread, and made it a sticky. This thread can be used to talk about this list of changes from 2021 to 2022 etc.

FOMO is always strong with buying a new Tesla. Seems like something new and better is always...just around the corner.

Absolutely!! We bought our Model X in June of ‘20. Had several friends tell me I should wait because “there’s a refresh right around the corner ….”

It’s now December 2021 and I’d still have a huge wait in front of me, if I had done so. That’s a year and a half of transportation, family adventures, road trips, and even buying an RV to tow around that I would’ve missed out on. And, honestly, the yoke steering would likely have been a dealbreaker for my better half.

If you like the current model, buy it. It’s pretty much that simple.

I have a build for next spring March (now considering moving to April or May, if what they are saying is true for my M3P

That third to last one has me interested.

Electrek suggests that Tesla may be planning a 2022 update for the Model 3 and Model Y. The versions of these cars that the company has provided for testing in Europe seem to have features that haven't yet been implemented in current versions of the vehicles.

The information about the potential updates came from a European Tesla forum, as shown

Reports point out that the Model Y and Model 3 cars in question have a 12-volt lithium-ion battery pack, the Model 3 Performance has a new high-performance motor, and, like the Model Y Performance in China, the crossover has the new AMD Ryzen chip.

The 2022 Model 3 is also expected to get the new double-glazed acoustic glass for its rear window. And, finally, Electrek says there's a "Superhorn" feature coming that "combines the horn, alarm, and external speaker."

2a2a937b80e4096fcbadf8b28e8f3a3c0f32a4fd-2-372x500.jpeg

Attachments

• 2a2a937b80e4096fcbadf8b28e8f3a3c0f32a4fd-2-372x500.jpeg
    2a2a937b80e4096fcbadf8b28e8f3a3c0f32a4fd-2-372x500.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 174
It says "hairpin wound" DU. I'm reading that to mean that they're implementing the carbon-wound drive unit similar to MS Plaid, which means M3P with that motor should be capable of noticeably higher performance.
Nope. The "hairpin wound" has to do with the windings on the stator. It uses square copper instead of copper strands so you get a tighter packing of more copper in a smaller space making it more efficient, and don't need to tie/stitch it in place. (This is something the Sandy Munro was wondering why Tesla hadn't adopted this yet, as other OEMs had already.)

An example of hairpin windings:

2-Figure5-1.png

Traditional windings that require stitching to keep the wires in place:
main-qimg-0f78b207c065f42d5f6e56ffa1a5ddeb

Nope. The "hairpin wound" has to do with the windings on the stator. It uses square copper instead of copper strands so you a tighter packing of more copper in a smaller space making it more efficient. (This is something the Sandy Munro was wondering why Tesla hadn't adopted this yet, as other OEMs had already.)
Ah you're right, I remember seeing the hairpin motor w/ square wires in the Sandy Munro video.. thanks

Is there info on the module dimension of HV battery? (especially interested in LFP) I remembered seeing it in a previous version.
Since a couple of months there is no more battery data in the certification documents. I assume this is Tesla realizing, that this information gets leaked. The last time there was data in section 3 was this:
6a601921f3d28c3a7a19de912949b1ac52c2b55c.jpeg

New motor for the model 3 performance? Does that mean the Model 3 Performance gets faster?
Theoretically/technically...yes. The M3P 2021 drivetrain get replaced with the MYP 2022 drivetrain. In the end the only difference is the rear motor and even then the motor is identical, but the power limits are slightly higher in the MYP. The result is a switch to the hairpin stator and 16kW more power. Though it isnt known if that higher power will be unlocked. My guess is yes and in result the 0-100km/h time might be reduced a little further to 3.2s. The latter is pure speculation.

The M3P 2021 had the DPG 3D1 219kW Motor and in Q3/2021 also occasionally the DPQ 3D6 219kW (Hairpin) Motor.
The M3P 2022 will get the DPZ 3D6 235kW (Hairpin) Motor.
As you can see DPQ and DPZ are the same 3D6 Hairpin Motor, but with different power limits.
The 3D3 158kW front motor is the same in all dual motor Model 3 and Model Y. No changes there.
8981415f76bceb290383c88e680b3463bc05c097.jpeg

209c2ac754fd9980a416dd097aa4eb7750c5b26f.jpeg

Last edited:
Since a couple of months there is no more battery data in the certification documents. I assume this is Tesla realizing, that this information gets leaked. The last time there was data in section 3 was this:

Theoretically/technically...yes. The M3P 2021 drivetrain get replaced with the MYP 2022 drivetrain. In the end the only difference is the rear motor and even then the motor is identical, but the power limits are slightly higher in the MYP. The result is a switch to the hairpin stator and 16kW more power. Though it isnt known if that higher power will be unlocked. My guess is yes and in result the 0-100km/h time might be reduced a little further to 3.2s. The latter is pure speculation.

The M3P 2021 had the DPG 3D1 219kW Motor and in Q3/2021 also occasionally the DPQ 3D6 219kW (Hairpin) Motor.
As you can see DPQ and DPZ are the same 3D6 Hairpin Motor, but with different power limits.
The 3D3 158kW front motor is the same in all dual motor Model 3 and Model Y. No changes there.

So if i understand you correctly, if i were to get a 2022 model M3P right now, it would contain an upgraded rear drive train just without the power increase thus no more performance? I am supposed to pick up mine in a couple days. Just wondering.

Any reports of M3LR getting a motor update?

What are the pros and cons of hairpin vs. wound stators?
There are people here who can answer this more thoroughly for sure, but in general...
  • Lower Production cost
  • Possibily higher efficiency
  • Better heat dissipation
Though initial tests (here in Germany) with those new motors didnt show a lower motor temperature or lower consumption. Some SR+ drivers even complained about less mid range punch and high pitched whining noises. I did a power measurement on an early SR+ 62kWh with the new 3D6 Hairpin motor and it did deliver the advertised 239kW at full throttle. Its all pretty anecdotal evidence really.
So if i understand you correctly, if i were to get a 2022 model M3P right now, it would contain an upgraded rear drive train just without the power increase thus no more performance? I am supposed to pick up mine in a couple days. Just wondering.
All my documents are valid for Europe and probably apply to the Asian and Australian market alike. The states do not get these new motors yet, as far as I know. There were some rumors that the Houston factory might implement them first and sooner than anticipated. So I assume that the M3P 2022 doesn't get the new 3D6 Hairpin motor with the 16kW higher power limit from the MYP 2021.
Though, since the US MYP 2021 has the same power limits applied to the old 3D1 Motor, they might just as well unlock that higher power limit for the M3P 2021 (with the same 3D1 Motor) as well. Its not rocket science, but a basic update to the motor limitations. Model 3 and Y are based on the same drive train and motors after all.
Any reports of M3LR getting a motor update?
In Europe and Asia, yes. Same story with a change from the 3D5 base motor (fractional slot winding) to the 3D7 base motor (hairpin winding).
In Q3 all M3LR had this new motor and now in Q4 we see Tesla reverting back to the old 3D5 motor again on most new M3LR. Model Y in Europe is only certified with the new motor, so no changes there. The power limits on the old and new motor are the same, as you can see in the list I posted earlier.

My theory is, that Tesla (China) is holding back the new tech (hairpin motors / new tail lights) in the first weeks of November, as these cars are all still 2021 models and they can have the new tech, but they don't "need" to. From mid November the production shifted to domestic deliveries and to the new N=2022 model year. Those cars should probably all come with the latest changes and to assure this, they've made sure to have a high stock of new parts before making the switch.

It says "hairpin wound" DU. I'm reading that to mean that they're implementing the carbon-wound drive unit similar to MS Plaid, which means M3P with that motor should be capable of noticeably higher performance.

I asked a similar question in a different thread - but, not expecting it to be carbon sleeved. Tesla said the carbon sleeves are mostly to reduce expansion during high rpm to support the 200mph limit. The model 3 will never be cranked up that high, so it's not a concern.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and TechOps