Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deliverys won't start until February, probably? March, as Performance cars usually arrive last.

The 547km WLTP M3P 2022 is always equipped with the LG 5L battery pack and the new Drive Unit Cat 3. Model 3 with rear laminated glass hasn't been spotted anywhere as far as I know.

Not worth waiting for if you ask me. I currently drive a MIC Q4/2021 M3P 2021 and it is very comfortable and quiet.

Reactions: milesr3
Deliverys won't start until February, probably? March, as Performance cars usually arrive last.

The 547km WLTP M3P 2022 is always equipped with the LG 5L battery pack and the new Drive Unit Cat 3. Model 3 with rear laminated glass hasn't been spotted anywhere as far as I know.

Not worth waiting for if you ask me. I currently drive a MIC Q4/2021 M3P 2021 and it is very comfortable and quiet.
do you have the Ryzen chip in yours? I'm reading the MIC models are already on it...

Against better judgment will delay till June. Hopefully rear double laminated windows are standard by then.

REgarding the LG 5L batter pack and Drive Unit Cat 3. I was under the impression that Hairpin motor and LG 50M are still not implemented yet in M3P MYP cars?

I was under the impression that Hairpin motor and LG 50M are still not implemented yet in M3P MYP cars?
In the UK the WLTP figure was revised from 352 to 340 miles sometime in December, to account for the 79kW LG battery in the M3P. My assumption is that, like the lithium iron phosphate battery in the RWD, this is now what you get.

Last edited:
REgarding the LG 5L batter pack and Drive Unit Cat 3. I was under the impression that Hairpin motor and LG 50M are still not implemented yet in M3P MYP cars?
There is only one certified configuration since V19 for the MYP in Europe and that is the DU CAT 3 with the LG 5L.
The Model Y in general can only have the DU CAT 3.
Any other battery pack would need a new certification, but I doubt it, since the 5L is already in the M3LR and it will come in the M3P in Q1/2022 and most likely also in the MYLR. So it is the main battery pack for M3/MY in 2022 until Panasonic/Tesla release the 4680's.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but Electric Consumption (Combined) of 165Wh/km multiplied by Pure Electric Range (Combined) of 547km equals 90.255kWh of energy. How is this possible with a 79KWh battery? At best the LG 5L pack has 4,416 x 18.2Wh nominal = 80.4kWh.
The calculation includes charging loss to give you a close estimate of running costs / 100km.
Charging loss is around 12% in WLTP tests. If you use 12,4% you get a capacity of 79,1kWh.

There is only one certified configuration since V19 for the MYP in Europe and that is the DU CAT 3 with the LG 5L.
The Model Y in general can only have the DU CAT 3.
Any other battery pack would need a new certification, but I doubt it, since the 5L is already in the M3LR and it will come in the M3P in Q1/2022 and most likely also in the MYLR. So it is the main battery pack for M3/MY in 2022 until Panasonic/Tesla release the 4680's.

Only thing that is missing now is rear laminated doors as I belvie the Hairpin motor is included in DU CAT 3?

Seems so, reading on the German M3P delivery thread (translated) below I see that 547km range is now standard in most EU zones (Swiss included)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eivissa
25 d

With the V20, there are now a total of five approved variants of the Model 3 Performance:
  • DU CAT 1 / Panasonic 3 78kWh / 530km
    → only variant 2019 and 2020.
  • DU CAT 1 / LG 5C 75kWh / 514km
    → was never sold in Europe.
  • DU CAT 1 / Panasonic 3L 82kWh / 567km
    → most common variant from the end of 2020 until today.
  • DU CAT 2 / Panasonic 3L 82kWh / 567km
    → were delivered in manageable numbers in Q3 and Q4.
  • DU CAT 3 / LG 5L 79kWh / 547km
    → expected for Q1 / 2022.
With the new 2022 version for Europe, the advantages outweigh (in my opinion):
  • Slightly shorter range thanks to the 3kWh smaller battery, which, depending on the calibration, can be compensated for in everyday life. You won't notice.
  • Lower charging power. It will probably stay that way even after a few updates. We are talking about a maximum of approx. 5 minutes per stop, maybe sooner less.
  • Potentially more homogeneous power output over the SoC curve and a little less reduction when the battery is cold. As a result, a little more performance in everyday life if the conditions are not ideal. This is probably mainly due to the slightly higher voltage curve of the LG NMC.
  • Up to 16kW more peak power of the rear engine through the use of the Drive Unit Cat 3. Unfortunately, this new DU did not demonstrate lower consumption in the WLTP test.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. DU CAT 2/3 have hairpin rear motors.
Motor Power.jpg

If it helps, I took delivery of a M3P on 12/28 with no ryzen chip and no updated battery in the states. From the chart above it looks like I have the DU CAT 1 (based on the 8th digit of my VIN). dumb question but what is MAX SMT? :)
Maximum value that I have logged in Scan My Tesla. That chart should only be regarded as a basic reference to the drive unit. The numbers come from official certifications documents, which doesn't mean that Tesla isn't providing more or less than these values wlcia software updates.

Having received a Model 3 in the states you are about 100% guaranteed to be getting the DU CAT 1 at the moment.