Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not a push for anyone to/not to wait. But I can understand the rationale, as I'm considering selling the car I'm about to pick up (I can't unmatch) and place a new order. Crazy? Maybe. I also don't NEED a car as I live in a city and haven't had one for months.

My personal rationale is that I'm a huge techie - I love the newest and fastest things. When I make large purchases, I always go for the nicest technology, within reason, because I value the capability and response.

With regards to the statement of this never being brought up until the new CPU, I'd disagree. One of my biggest complaints with my 2020 was the response on the MCU. Loading up sentry / dashcam footage was a nightmare, and I found myself sitting in parking lots way too long checking the alerts. That may not be important for some people, but an extra 5-10 minutes after leaving a busy place, that's a lot of time.

I think we can all agree on the rationale to wait. And the debate is nearly a non issue because in a month or so. No one will have a choice to make, Ryzen will be the only option.

However, you are very much wrong on the rationale about getting the “latest and greatest and newest tech”. As a “techie” you should realize that you are not getting the same AMD chip that Elon said you can play Cyberpunk 2077 on. That AMD chip is ONlY on the S and X. The 3 and Y are not getting that same chip. They are getting a 2017-2018 AMD Ryzem chip. People keep calling it an “upgrade” when it is much much closer to a lateral substitution than it is an upgrade.

Reactions: thinger
People keep calling it an “upgrade” when it is much much closer to a lateral substitution than it is an upgrade.
You should really stop commenting this misinformation all over these threads. Yes, the 3/Y do not include the GPU portion of the APU in the S/X, however the CPU portion is the same. While it's still speculation, the CPU is estimated to be a Ryzen 2400G, which scores 6-8x higher than the Intel Atom in performance tests.

Video comparison of the “improved performance” with the “new” AMD Ryzen:

That’s your 2022 Model 3 with the new AMD Ryzen chip. Also note, this demonstration is done on a 300 mbs wifi connection. You’re not going to find anything much faster than that.

Pay attention to him opening up Beach Buggy Racing 2. From 2:35-2:52. 17 seconds from launch to completely loaded for this impressive new chip.

Compare that to ANY 2 year old video showing Beach Buggy 2 demo. Here’s one, posted in June 2019. That’s 2.5 years ago.

Watch the software load from start to finish. 1:18-1:35.

Wait, that’s the same 17 seconds as the Ryzen. The 2019 Intel Atom is showing the same performance, how can this even be?!?! Easy, you’re not getting a new Ryazan chip, it’s an old ryzen chip.

Last edited:
You should really stop commenting this misinformation all over these threads. Yes, the 3/Y do not include the GPU portion of the APU in the S/X, however the CPU portion is the same. While it's still speculation, the CPU is estimated to be a Ryzen 2400G, which scores 6-8x higher than the Intel Atom in performance tests.
These are generic performamce benchmarks, not having anything to do with the software on Tesla vehicles. Show me a demonstration where the “new” ryzen shoes improved performance over the atom, because I posted video evidence they are fairly the same. Show your sources

These are generic performamce benchmarks, not having anything to do with the software on Tesla vehicles. Show me a demonstration where the “new” ryzen shoes improved performance over the atom, because I posted video evidence they are fairly the same. Show your sources
not trying to insert myself into this debate (I don't care), but I think what started the debate is this video from a MIC Model 3 and Y comparison.

I personally never found the intel slow on my 2020 model 3. But I also don't play any games on my car...

not trying to insert myself into this debate (I don't care), but I think what started the debate is this video from a MIC Model 3

I personally never found the intel slow on my 2020 model 3. But I also don't play any games on my car...
Right, this video is controversial in tbd sense that it was shot under different times, cars and conditions as noted by the timing and lighting. This video was BS, and that was followed by major “fake news” just rushing to print click bait assuming it’s the Same as the recent AMD system launched on the S/X. Expectations are incorrect. I’m just stating the facts.

You think the Tesla software will alter the fact that the Ryzen is 6-8x faster than the Atom in performance tests? That's like saying an i7 isn't definitively more powerful than an i3 because one is installed on a Windows PC and one on a Linux PC. Not many people, reviewers, etc. have their hands on 3/Y with the new processor yet, so there aren't going to be an abundance of "sources" available, but for now you can look at the video sightman posted and refer to this thread.

You think the Tesla software will alter the fact that the Ryzen is 6-8x faster than the Atom in performance tests? That's like saying an i7 isn't definitively more powerful than an i3 because one is installed on a Windows PC and one on a Linux PC. Not many people, reviewers, etc. have their hands on 3/Y with the new processor yet, so there aren't going to be an abundance of "sources" available, but for now you can look at the video sightman posted and refer to this thread.
Not to mention, even if the difference isn't super pronounced right now (which it may well not be), the Ryzen will obviously be more future proof as Tesla's software will inevitably grow more complex and require more computational resources. The early S/X MCUs were fine in the beginning, but are borderline unusable now.

Reactions: DVM3P
Please watch the two videos I just posted above and explain to me how the video from June 2019 shows the same performance on Beach Buggt Racing as the new Ryzen chip. Show me where I am wrong about that and I’ll clearly admit my mistake.

Folks, can we stop with trying to prove one way or another. So what if Ryzen is better, so what if it's not. Let people have their choice. We live in a free country for crying out loud, just because I believe Jeeps are piece of junk, doesn't mean I go to my friends owning jeep and tell them how unreliable they are. If people want their Ryzen, let them have it. If people want to take the car now, it's still heck alot better than virtually anything else in the market.

BESIDES, this is a WAITING ROOM.
This isn’t a discussion about what it what not to get. Who cares what you buy. This is about discovery of a new technology and getting the facts correct so people can make the best informed decisions. There’s obviously some misconceptions about what the new chip is or isn’t, don’t you think it’s valuable to know the facts for yourself?

Reactions: Paul4343
Please watch the two videos I just posted above and explain to me how the video from June 2019 shows the same performance on Beach Buggt Racing as the new Ryzen chip. Show me where I am wrong about that and I’ll clearly admit my mistake.
I mean your videos demonstrate a single specific scenario where a user is opening a single specific game. This is hardly a good demonstration on the differences a user would notice in day-to-day use interacting with all aspects of the touchscreen, cameras, apps, Sentry, etc.

Not to mention, even if the difference isn't super pronounced right now (which it may well not be), the Ryzen will obviously be more future proof as Tesla's software will inevitably grow more complex and require more computational resources. The early S/X MCUs were fine in the beginning, but are borderline unusable now.
Exactly! Ask any Legacy S/X owner about their experiences with MCU1 and I doubt any of them would encourage you to settle for the Atom right now when AMD is right around the corner.

Reactions: tm1v2
Exactly! Ask any Legacy S/X owner about their experiences with MCU1 and I doubt any of them would encourage you to settle for the Atom right now when AMD is right around the corner.
Yep, my dad has a 2016 S, and the interface is god awful to use these days. He has a new X on order, otherwise probably would have broken down and gotten the MCU2 (which itself will be outdated pretty quickly)

I disagree with your logic. The Intel atom chip is around a million Tesla vechicles, probably 80 of the current worldwide fleet in existence is running this chip. Tesla will not break the functionality and the AMD chip is not any more future proof tech than the atom chip. They are roughly the same generation and performance. Both completely lack a seperate GPU which is where future te h is headed (and already exists on the new S/X)

I mean your videos demonstrate a single specific scenario where a user is opening a single specific game. This is hardly a good demonstration on the differences a user would notice in day-to-day use interacting with all aspects of the touchscreen, cameras, apps, Sentry, etc.
C‘’ Mon. Seriously? You really think this AMD chip is going to show an improvement in day to day function when in 2022 it can’t bear the Intel performance from 2019? It’s not just this one game. It’s everywhere on the system, You can’t show me a single video showing improvement. We also have word directly from Tesla that the chip uses more energy and decreases range.

I disagree with your logic. The Intel atom chip is around a million Tesla vechicles, probably 80 of the current worldwide fleet in existence is running this chip. Tesla will not break the functionality and the AMD chip is not any more future proof tech than the atom chip. They are roughly the same generation and performance. Both completely lack a seperate GPU which is where future te h is headed (and already exists on the new S/X)
They won't "break" functionality overnight. But it will get clunkier and clunkier with future software updates. That's how software tends to go.

Ryzen and atom might be roughly the same generation (really even if they launched at the same time, the Ryzen was a ground up design while the atom was an iteration of a longstanding product), they are nowhere near the same performance. That's like saying a Model S P100D and a Nissan leaf built in the same year are of the same generation and performance.

Just because the S/X Ryzen might have a different GPU (which I'm not entirely convinced of, the teardown comparisons don't seem to show a different GPU), doesn't mean the one in the 3/Y isn't significantly more powerful than what the atom systems get.

Reactions: RVAC and DVM3P
C‘’ Mon. Seriously? You really think this AMD chip is going to show an improvement in day to day function when in 2022 it can’t bear the Intel performance from 2019? It’s not just this one game. It’s everywhere on the system, You can’t show me a single video showing improvement. We also have word directly from Tesla that the chip uses more energy and decreases range.
I mean somebody else sent a video, and I linked a thread. Both of which you are seeming to ignore and dismiss as "BS." I also already explained why there aren't many videos comparing the two right now, but I'm sure there will be in the future. You seem to be entrenched in the (incorrect) opinion that the two chips are similar in performance, despite what anyone else says. The concept of futureproofing is somehow foreign to you, despite history teaching us that old hardware (MCU1) can prove to be problematic as software updates continue to roll out and stress out older hardware. I am convinced that Elon himself could explain the benefits of faster hardware to you, and you would somehow find a way to refute him.

Do a few searches online and you will find endless forum posts of users complaining about slow Youtube, slow Netflix, slow browser speeds, camera lag, camera blackouts, etc. I'm sure you'll come back and say the issues will still be there with the Ryzen, since you're so convinced they're the same performance, but I'd bet a ton of money that you'll be proven wrong in due time.

So why do you think Tesla is going through all the work to make this change if there are no tangible improvements, just for fun?

Reactions: montanaco

exactly this. I see no reason why someone would not want the new chip in their vehicle. I would be very curious to know if the backup camera lag/UI lag with V11 is present on these new chips. I believe it was speculated, maybe confirmed?, to be a memory leak, but I would love to know.

Reactions: tm1v2