Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why there haven't been any range estimate changes in the US as a result of the new AMD CPU like what was reported in Australia. Has anyone in the US received the notice that the range will be lower? Is it different battery chemistry that's being effected by new AMD chip?
A Ryzen that consumes 54W at full load would need 18 hours to consume 1kWh (about 4.5 miles of EPA range). It is unlikely that normal use would have it running at full load for 18 hours, since that would affect responsiveness, and the software still needs to run on the older Atom as well.

It could be that the "Ryzen increased power consumption" is a cover story for changing to slightly less aggressive range and efficiency ratings, if even hypermiling customers had difficulty achieving the rated range and efficiency.

Reactions: milesr3 and Sporty
A Ryzen that consumes 54W at full load would need 18 hours to consume 1kWh (about 4.5 miles of EPA range). It is unlikely that normal use would have it running at full load for 18 hours, since that would affect responsiveness, and the software still needs to run on the older Atom as well.

It could be that the "Ryzen increased power consumption" is a cover story for changing to slightly less aggressive range and efficiency ratings, if even hypermiling customers had difficulty achieving the rated range and efficiency.
Atom much less but Tesla run it 100% usage or their code is very bad.

It could be that the "Ryzen increased power consumption" is a cover story for changing to slightly less aggressive range and efficiency ratings, if even hypermiling customers had difficulty achieving the rated range and efficiency
Makes sense. I thought it was weird that there appears to be no impact to US models.

Are you saying Tesla is making things up and only in Australia? Hmm, that is a big accusation but probably correct? There’s no other logical explanation for the quoted range drop from 567km to 547km for an M3P with Ryzen vs Atom

What do we think about the new battery for the Performance model? Is it a new unit capable of more output or maybe more output on low soc and cold battery? I'm not loving my 2021 m3p with the Panasonic 82kwh battery in cold weather. From what I have read only the 3P gets this battery...

Just called customer support and confirmed Intel. 😒

Haven't made any changes yet, but will probably place on hold. I'm dying for the car, but the reality is this is not really the optimal time to receive a new car in Colorado and I have another vehicle to use in the meantime. What's another month or so for a few upgrades at this point... Ugh...
You say that now then in a month they will add the heated windshield wipers, then you hold again then it will be the cooled seats. Then you hold again and it will be the new batteries, and you will just never get the car because they are always adding something new.

What do we think about the new battery for the Performance model? Is it a new unit capable of more output or maybe more output on low soc and cold battery? I'm not loving my 2021 m3p with the Panasonic 82kwh battery in cold weather. From what I have read only the 3P gets this battery...
Genuinely curious, why don’t you like it? Is there a performance drop? Or is it the drop in range only?

Eh, I would argue the Ryzen is a more significant upgrade than literally all of the other changes the model 3 has received since its inception. 4680s might be the next big one, but so far that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon.

If you need a car, you need a car. But I totally get why one would want to have the newer computer if they plan on keeping this car a while.
Has it even been proven to be a true upgrade yet or is it more of a side step. Meaning they couldn't get the atoms any more or the price went up on them so they found an alternative which makes netflix load a little faster at the cost of losing range in your battery

Has it even been proven to be a true upgrade yet or is it more of a side step. Meaning they couldn't get the atoms any more or the price went up on them so they found an alternative which makes netflix load a little faster at the cost of losing range in your battery
Has been and is still widely discussed in this thread here: