Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2022-02-06 211546.jpg

Parents had a 3LR delivered yesterday so I compared it side by side to my 2021 3P making the following observations:
2022 Model 3 LR2021 Model 3 Performance
PaintFlawless black, mild orange peelRed with multiple minor flaws, fisheyes, polishing marks from factory and/or delivery prep, and mild orange peel
Body panel alignmentExcellent, all gaps are reasonable, consistent, and all panels are well aligned. All doors close with minimal effort. Headlights overhang bumper by ~1mm. Trunk lid sits ~3mm above rear window.Poor. Doors are slightly misaligned in every axis, relying on strikers for final alignment and requiring a firm slam to close. Headlights overhang bumper by ~10mm. Trunk lid sits ~4mm above rear window. Frunk gap noticeably inconsistent around perimeter and also misaligned vertically with bumper and fenders. Tesla had a local collision repair shop try to fix some of the issues.
Window alignmentFlawlessPoor. Vertical gaps between panes differ by +/- 1/4" and are noticeably crooked
GreenhouseFlawlessWindshield, roof, and rear window are 3 different widths and only align along the driver's side gutter. Passenger side is badly misaligned. Vertical alignment and curvature match is marginal between panels.
InteriorBlack, flawless, wood is slightly darker and slightly rougher to the touch.Black, some misaligned headliner panels and dirty handprints. C-pillar trim is so misaligned that it's visible thru the rear window.
Exterior door handlesSlightly sunken in front, badly sunken in rearSlightly sunken in front, more badly sunken in rear
Side repeater glareBadWorse
WheelsUglyUglier

This car had the Ryzen, 12V Lithium, and illuminated door pockets (unlike my 2021).
It did not have:
- Laminated rear windows
- Far side airbag
- Heated wipers
- Pedpro frunk hinge
- Passenger lumbar

I don't know about 2nd row restraint changes, foam trim, hairpin motor, battery type, or much else. Sorry can't comment on driving performance or sound system, etc.

But wow, the Ryzen is freakin' night and day better than the Atom. It truly takes the whole UI from adequate to instant. Navigation is so fast, even cross country routes with lots of charging stops and stuff it's just bam! all plotted out almost before you've even finished telling it where you're headed. The sentry clip viewer comes up instantly and clips play instantly (scrubbing is still flawed but fast). The 2021 sentry viewer takes 15 seconds just to launch.

YouTube is fully loaded in 4 seconds on the 2022 compared to 24 seconds on my 2021. Videos play *instantly* and you can jump to any position instantly. I'd say YouTube on the 2022 is 50% faster than my kickass gaming desktop, 150% faster than my iPhone 13, and 500% faster than the 2021. I compared the cars back to back on the same WiFi network, both without YouTube logins, and both after launching/closing/relaunching YouTube to equalize any caching and both were on V11, albeit slightly different versions.

I'm sure there'll be another 10 pages of people saying they don't use YouTube / it doesn't matter / he didn't test it right / whatever but the bottom line is that a 2022 Tesla has processor performance that is on par with a modern cell phone such that it could easily become your default choice when Googling/Yelping/Tiktoking/etc. from the car and that's a really big deal because this is the first time any car has ever offered anything like this.

There you go Rownder.
View attachment 765869
Parents had a 3LR delivered yesterday so I compared it side by side to my 2021 3P making the following observations:
PaintFlawless black, mild orange peelRed with multiple minor flaws, fisheyes, polishing marks from factory and/or delivery prep, and mild orange peel
Body panel alignmentExcellent, all gaps are reasonable, consistent, and all panels are well aligned. All doors close with minimal effort. Headlights overhang bumper by ~1mm. Trunk lid sits ~3mm above rear window.Poor. Doors are slightly misaligned in every axis, relying on strikers for final alignment and requiring a firm slam to close. Headlights overhang bumper by ~10mm. Trunk lid sits ~4mm above rear window. Frunk gap noticeably inconsistent around perimeter and also misaligned vertically with bumper and fenders. Tesla had a local collision repair shop try to fix some of the issues.
Window alignmentFlawlessPoor. Vertical gaps between panes differ by +/- 1/4" and are noticeably crooked
GreenhouseFlawlessWindshield, roof, and rear window are 3 different widths and only align along the driver's side gutter. Passenger side is badly misaligned. Vertical alignment and curvature match is marginal between panels.
InteriorBlack, flawless, wood is slightly darker and slightly rougher to the touch.Black, some misaligned headliner panels and dirty handprints. C-pillar trim is so misaligned that it's visible thru the rear window.
Exterior door handlesSlightly sunken in front, badly sunken in rearSlightly sunken in front, more badly sunken in rear
WheelsUglyUglier

This car had the Ryzen, 12V Lithium, and illuminated door pockets (unlike my 2021).
It did not have:
- Laminated rear windows
- Far side airbag
- Heated wipers
- Pedpro frunk hinge
- Passenger lumbar

I don't know about 2nd row restraint changes, foam trim, hairpin motor, battery type, or much else. Sorry can't comment on driving performance or sound system, etc.

But wow, the Ryzen is freakin' night and day better than the Atom. It truly takes the whole UI from adequate to instant. Navigation is so fast, even cross country routes with lots of charging stops and stuff it's just bam! all plotted out almost before you've even finished telling it where you're headed. The sentry clip viewer comes up instantly and clips play instantly (scrubbing is still flawed but fast). The 2021 sentry viewer takes 15 seconds just to launch.

YouTube is fully loaded in 4 seconds on the 2022 compared to 24 seconds on my 2021. Videos play *instantly* and you can jump to any position instantly. I'd say YouTube on the 2022 is 50% faster than my kickass gaming desktop, 150% faster than my iPhone 13, and 500% faster than the 2021. I compared the cars back to back on the same WiFi network, both without YouTube logins, and both after launching/closing/relaunching YouTube to equalize any caching and both were on V11, albeit slightly different versions.

I'm sure there'll be another 10 pages of people saying they don't use YouTube / it doesn't matter / he didn't test it right / whatever but the bottom line is that a 2022 Tesla has processor performance that is on par with a modern cell phone such that it could easily become your default choice when Googling/Yelping/Tiktoking/etc. from the car and that's a really big deal because this is the first time any car has ever offered anything like this.

Reactions: DVM3P
View attachment 765869
WheelsUglyUglier

It did not have:
- Laminated rear windows
- Far side airbag
- Heated wipers
- Pedpro frunk hinge
- Passenger lumbar

Plug a game controller into the New LR with the Ryzen and let me know how that goes. How fast does Sonic and Cuphead load?

View attachment 765869
WheelsUglyUglier

It did not have:
- Laminated rear windows
- Far side airbag
- Heated wipers
- Pedpro frunk hinge
- Passenger lumbar

Is that a local Tesla car club gathering or something or does everyone on the street drive a Tesla?

The only USB port in the car that interacts with the infotainment center is the USB-A port in the glovebox. Thats the only port that can be used for sentry mode, dash cam, game controllers, light show. 1 port for 1 function at at time. Locked away in the glove box.
While it is hardly ideal that there is only one USB port with data now, it can be somewhat worked around by using a USB hub, such as https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-essentials-4-port-usb-2-0-hub-black/6453994.p (this one is both inexpensive and compact enough to be smaller than many kinds of gloves, so it will not consume too much of the space in the glove box). Using such a hub, the dashcam stick still records dashcam videos, while a stick with music is now able to have the music played on the audio system at the same time.

Or you can simply put music, dashcam, track mode, light show, and boombox files all on the one USB stick it comes with. That's what I do and it works fine.

But yeah, kinda stupid that Elon is so obsessed with gaming yet he didn't provide any place to plug in a controller. And even if you did get one plugged in, Tesla doesn't provide a list of compatible controllers and each game requires a different type.

(Note: my 2021 lets me use the front console ports for dashcam, music, etc. but it's my understanding that 2022's have that removed due to chip or brain deficiencies. I verified that all 4 ports on the 2022 would charge my phone but didn't try data.)

While it is hardly ideal that there is only one USB port with data now, it can be somewhat worked around by using a USB hub, such as https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-essentials-4-port-usb-2-0-hub-black/6453994.p (this one is both inexpensive and compact enough to be smaller than many kinds of gloves, so it will not consume too much of the space in the glove box). Using such a hub, the dashcam stick still records dashcam videos, while a stick with music is now able to have the music played on the audio system at the same time.

From earlier in the thread. Coming soon! USB data ports

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
Some users report that glovebox usb hubs have caused system issues. I don’t know for sure. But it’s only USB and it’s going to split data and power between all the connected devices plus it’s own overhead.

The issue isn’t really as much as how to defeat and work around Teslas design decisions rather what their intention is to begin with. Why are they crippling the computer?

Or you can simply put music, dashcam, track mode, light show, and boombox files all on the one USB stick it comes with. That's what I do and it works fine.

But yeah, kinda stupid that Elon is so obsessed with gaming yet he didn't provide any place to plug in a controller. And even if you did get one plugged in, Tesla doesn't provide a list of compatible controllers and each game requires a different type.

(Note: my 2021 lets me use the front console ports for dashcam, music, etc. but it's my understanding that 2022's have that removed due to chip or brain deficiencies. I verified that all 4 ports on the 2022 would charge my phone but didn't try data.)
Seems there’s lots of conflicting information around these boards, I’ve read many times that dashcam and lightshow must be on separate drives. Issue with music etc…. Some people have gotten around by using dual partitions. I guess information ages and Tesla makes changes and updates. I’ll have to try it myself to see for sure.

Yes partitions need to separated but Windows 10 or Mac can do it all natively with no 3rd party apps.
  • Create an exFAT partition named TESLADRIVE with folders named TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode
  • Create an exFAT partition named whatever with folders Music and Boombox
  • Create a very small FAT32 partition (can be <<100Mb) with a folder named LightShow

I just had a very long and interesting chat with Emma (Tesla UK), who had to refer my questions to her manager. I simply asked which battery my assigned car has.

To begin with she said it was the 'old variant' but did have the 'new 16v battery and AMD Ryzen'. I asked if the variant was E3LD but she could not see this, only that it was 'old'. Emma then went on to say that it was a unicorn car with the longer range.

I stated that I did not wish to have an old variant with the 352 mile range because I had ordered a vehicle with 340 mile range, as shown on the website since December. I asked when a vehicle with 340 mile range would be available.

After some time Emma said they were not currently available but would be in March. This is where she checked with her manager and came back to say that my vehicle is due to arrive in March and therefore will be the 'new version'. I challenged whether this info was based on delivery date or VIN and she stated that her manager can check the spec based on VIN and that it is the 'latest specification, as currently show in the Design Studio'.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 11.27.54.png
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 11.27.43.png
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 11.27.20.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JOL1
Yep so took delivery of my '22. Compared to my '21 thing sits noticeably higher. Sucks big time. Put in a service request as changing this after I ordered is unacceptable. Thought the foggy passenger taillight would be my only worry.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Yep so took delivery of my '22. Compared to my '21 thing sits noticeably higher. Sucks big time. Put in a service request as changing this after I ordered is unacceptable. Thought the foggy passenger taillight would be my only worry.
Meanwhile I'm thinking of raising my 2021 a little when I put my coilovers on it. 😆

I'd happily swap my OE springs with you but we're not close enough for that to make sense.

How do you know, did you measure? The 2021s did not sit low, even compared to LR and SR from the same model year, as shown in the video linked earlier in this thread.