Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a black/white M3P on 2/5 and already got my VIN today (169,***). EDD is 2/14-2/20. I'm wondering what 2022 upgrades it will have...should I take delivery or pass and wait for the next one?
We know from Model 3 Delivery with AMD Ryzen [if you received one please post here] that many are reporting VINs 16xxxx as having the new AMD Ryzen infotainment processor.

However, since they did not want reports from those getting the old Intel Atom processor in that thread, it is not clear how much of an overlap range in delivery dates or VINs there was when a car could have either. I.e. we do not know the beginning delivery date or VIN where only AMD Ryzen infotainment processors were in cars.

The part numbers should be different.

The old part numbers for the M3P front spring/damper were originally:
LH Damper: 1044363-04-B
RH Damper: 1044368-04-B
Spring: 1044379-04-B

My '22 M3P does have revised part numbers (-C). This probably changed around the time of the refresh.
LH Damper: 1044363-04-C
RH Damper: 1044368-04-C
Spring: 1044379-04-C

The original LR AWD had different part numbers. I'm not sure if these are still current or have been revised since the refresh.
Front LH Damper: 1044363-00-F
Front RH Damper: 1044368-00-F
Front Spring: 1044379-02-D

Despite the M3P's revised part numbers, I found numerous members measuring the front height back in 2018 and their measurements match my '22 M3P.
Front fender to center of wheel hub: 15.75"
Front fender to ground: 28.25"

Of course, RSymons RSEV measurements shows variation of ~5mm between year/models (71.5 vs 72.0cm). Tire pressure, tread depth, tire brand/specifications, vehicle weight/distribution, floor levelness, etc. will all introduce some margin of variation. It would be better to measure from the center of the wheel hub to the fender arch to eliminate the tire differences at least. Using his measurement technique, my '22 M3P is ~71.8cm.

The stretched Pirelli tire profile certainly makes the wheel gap appear larger due to less vertical sidewall. The 235 width tire is too narrow for the 9.0" rim. The rim looks like it's practically sitting on the ground. While the 235/35R20 tire is rated with a sidewall of 3.2" (unloaded), the actual rim is < 2" from the ground once the tire is installed on the car, loaded with the vehicle's weight, and the sidewall angle is accounted for due to stretched nature of the narrower tire on a wider wheel (235mm tire on 9.0" wheel). Since the outer edge of the tire has less vertical sidewall and the peak diameter of the tire sits further in the fender well, the tire sidewall appears smaller making the wheel gap appear larger. Less light makes its way deeper into the fender well which further exaggerates the optics of the wheel gap due to the dark shadows. I tried to capture this in these pictures.

View attachment 766902

View attachment 766894
I don’t think that wheel tyre combo looks great, disappointing those big wheelarch gaps on a M3P, which is what I’m getting, maybe look better in real life, that was Really the only thing that made me go for a P over the LR the better looking wheels and lowered suspension/stance of the whole car, very confusing why they’ve changed the suspension and tyre set up?

View attachment 766670
And here’s a side-view.
EA7478DB-AA61-4DA4-98A2-220391D77CF8.jpeg
Heres the side view image from the website -definitely looks lower than the other photo above it.

Have any cars came with the rear acoustic glass yet? How about the airbag addition? Haven't heard much about those features, all Ryzen...

I sold our '18 3LR too early and had to take delivery in Jan and got an Intel car which honestly has been fine and the 22 car is quite an upgrade from the 18 but I'm considering selling the 22 to get another if values hold as I've determined the rear acoustic glass would really be nice to have. Somewhat considering changing to a Y so I can get bioweapon defense filter setup (really wish the 3 had that).

Have any cars came with the rear acoustic glass yet? How about the airbag addition? Haven't heard much about those features, all Ryzen...

I sold our '18 3LR too early and had to take delivery in Jan and got an Intel car which honestly has been fine and the 22 car is quite an upgrade from the 18 but I'm considering selling the 22 to get another if values hold as I've determined the rear acoustic glass would really be nice to have. Somewhat considering changing to a Y so I can get bioweapon defense filter setup (really wish the 3 had that).
@HeatproofGenie Sounds like you're seeking low NVH. Be sure to test drive a 2022 Y back-to-back with your 2022 3 before placing a Y order.

When I tested 2021 cars the Y had much worse NVH - much louder wind noise at highway speeds, and a busier/bumpier ride. Of course Tesla is making changes all the time, so quite possible that what I experienced last fall is already outdated!

Reactions: Jree
Just quickly skimming through the most recent posts and wanted to say that my December delivery 22 M3P doesn't have lowered suspension.

I know for certain when I clicked the purchase button on Tesla is stated it was lowered, and now with the recent Tesla app update you can scroll to the bottom and view additional information about your vehicle, and mine doesn't say lowered suspension.

Its what like an inch difference between the two suspensions right? So I definitely didn't get what I paid for but what recourse do I have?

When I ordered the page still said "lowered suspension" as well. Honestly, I might have been a bit upset if the car sat higher than the 2021 models, but so far it seems that nothing has been changed since last year. I watched tons of 2021 M3P Youtube videos and the height of the car never bothered me, and I still went ahead and placed an order. So if I were to get upset about my 2022 being the same height, that would just be silly manufactured dissatisfaction on my part. If Tesla hadn't removed the wording from their website, I don't think anybody would even be discussing this on a large scale.

Reactions: Camryguy
On Tesla's website when switching between the dual motor and M3P the car would lower.
Yes, but it was a rendering the car rather than an actual photo. Has anyone measured an older M3P with lower suspension?

Also wondering if the two brand-spanking new M3Ps found to be taller hadn’t ‘settled’ on their springs.

Don’t get me wrong though; I too ordered a M3P with lowered suspension and if it turns out to be jacked up higher than the RWD/LR then I’ll be asking why. I’m taking a tape measure to my collection.

I keep saying this but I feel like it needs repeating - 99% of the P's better handling over the LR was always just the stock tires. Nothing more. There's a reason Tesla only described the suspension as "lower" and didn't call it "high performance" or anything like that.

If you tested an LR and wanted a better suspension the P suspension was never it. You didn't miss out on anything and you would need to go aftermarket anyways. I'm not saying the stiffness was exactly the same, I don't know that, just overall the 2021 LR vs P handling felt pretty much identical besides the wheel+tire difference...whatever handling upgrade you are seeking over the LR, the lower P suspension wasn't it. Still junky damping, and approximately the same overall stiffness as best I could feel from the driver's seat.

And if you're just after the visual appeal of a lower car with less wheel gap, the P was barely lower...again you'd still want to go aftermarket if that was your goal. My 2021 P has plenty of wheel gap. I'm putting coilovers on mine but just for a handling upgrade, not going to lower it at all, I need some ground clearance.

It would be nice if Tesla fitted the M3P with a high end sporty suspension from the factory, but the old "lower suspension" wasn't it.

I keep saying this but I feel like it needs repeating - 99% of the P's better handling over the LR was always just the stock tires. Nothing more. There's a reason Tesla only described the suspension as "lower" and didn't call it "high performance" or anything like that.

If you tested an LR and wanted a better suspension the P suspension was never it. You didn't miss out on anything and you would need to go aftermarket anyways. I'm not saying the stiffness was exactly the same, I don't know that, just overall the 2021 LR vs P handling felt pretty much identical besides the wheel+tire difference...whatever handling upgrade you are seeking over the LR, the lower P suspension wasn't it. Still junky damping, and approximately the same overall stiffness as best I could feel from the driver's seat.

And if you're just after the visual appeal of a lower car with less wheel gap, the P was barely lower...again you'd still want to go aftermarket if that was your goal. My 2021 P has plenty of wheel gap. I'm putting coilovers on mine but just for a handling upgrade, not going to lower it at all, I need some ground clearance.

It would be nice if Tesla fitted the M3P with a high end sporty suspension from the factory, but the old "lower suspension" wasn't it.
Thats a good explanation and sounds like its coming from personal experience, I’m still going to enjoy my P, at the end of the day my test drive was in a much older version, so my new ‘22 model will be everything and a lot more. Cheers

Reactions: Benzz
@gslaw2995 Yup it's from experience test driving 2021 M3LR and M3P on the same roads. And I've not come across anything on these forums to make me question that assessment.

I have come across multiple reports here that older Model 3 had stiffer suspensions. But those reports don't correlate with LR vs P, e.g. owners of 2018-ish M3LR have reported 2021 M3P feeling softer. We may have missed out on a stiffer, sportier suspension from years ago, but not because of P vs LR from what I've seen.

Edit: I'll also mention (probably repeating myself here too :)) that the P's Track Mode and better brakes are very real improvements over the LR for fast driving. The brakes are legit better, and Track Mode is legit useful. The P is the better car for driving fast even besides its extra low speed acceleration. Not trying to justify the P's value, that's a really personal decision, just don't let me turn you off from the P...I'm super happy I got the P even though the suspension is basically the same and I immediately ditched the stock wheels+tires.

The drop was so insignificant that I didn't even think to bust out the tape measure until today, and still the only problem is that I feel like I paid for something I didn't get. I went back and looked at my confirmation email and sure enough it doesn't say its lowered there so I'm def not going to try fighting this, but any reasonable person would conclude that we were misled.

Also, on the topic of lowering the car. I would never dream of lowering this one. I bet if I lowered this car and I hit something that damaged the battery pack Tesla wouldn't cover it, and rightfully so. They have to protect themselves from users slamming the car on the ground.

Reactions: gslaw2995 and tm1v2
The drop was so insignificant that I didn't even think to bust out the tape measure until today, and still the only problem is that I feel like I paid for something I didn't get. I went back and looked at my confirmation email and sure enough it doesn't say its lowered there so I'm def not going to try fighting this, but any reasonable person would conclude that we were misled.

Also, on the topic of lowering the car. I would never dream of lowering this one. I bet if I lowered this car and I hit something that damaged the battery pack Tesla wouldn't cover it, and rightfully so. They have to protect themselves from users slamming the car on the ground.
Tesla will never cover the battery pack for something you hit lowered or not, your insurance company will be on the hook for that.

@HeatproofGenie Sounds like you're seeking low NVH. Be sure to test drive a 2022 Y back-to-back with your 2022 3 before placing a Y order.

When I tested 2021 cars the Y had much worse NVH - much louder wind noise at highway speeds, and a busier/bumpier ride. Of course Tesla is making changes all the time, so quite possible that what I experienced last fall is already outdated!
Good input. I will indeed try to drive a Y. Yes I do appreciate a quiet car. Just leads to a much calmer, nice experience.

Apology if it has been asked but I cannot find a definitive answer so far...

Does the Model 3/Y with AMD infotainment system (MCU3?) have a dedicated GPU as the new 2022 Model S/X? We know S/X has RDNA2 GPU with similar performance as PS5. What about the new 3/Y? If not the same GPU, does it have another kind (weaker) of GPU?