Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, because the WLTP range is based on vehicles Wh/km which doesn't change. The LR with 5L is rated 147Wh/km and the M3P with 3L 165Wh/km. The difference is mostly down to the 20" überturbine wheels on the M3P.

I was surprised to be able to achieve 155Wh/km in my M3P a couple of times now when taking it steady but not driving excessively slowly.

That's pretty good, my 2022 RWD gets 155 Wh/km most of the time. However, I got it in the winter and it's never experienced weather above 10 deg celsius yet, so I hope it does better once it warms up. :)

That's pretty good, my 2022 RWD gets 155 Wh/km most of the time.
This vehicle continues to amaze me with its combination of effortless power and efficiency. We went out for a leisurely drive in the countryside yesterday and when I got home I saw 222 Wh/mi (138Wh/km). Co-incidentally 100% charge would achieve the 352 miles WLTP range, so I must have perfectly reproduced a test cycle :)

IMG_1373.jpeg

they would lose grip though, isnt that correct?
It is not a *given* that a tire with better rolling resistance will have less grip. It is often the case but there isn't any physical law making that so. Rolling resistance isn't *caused* by stickyness. But, when trying to build a tire and optimize two things at once, it is rare you manage to get both.

But yes the best CRR tires right now are definitely not super grippy. There are tires that are pretty good at both though, like the Pilot Sport 4 (non S)

It is not a *given* that a tire with better rolling resistance will have less grip. It is often the case but there isn't any physical law making that so. Rolling resistance isn't *caused* by stickyness. But, when trying to build a tire and optimize two things at once, it is rare you manage to get both.

But yes the best CRR tires right now are definitely not super grippy. There are tires that are pretty good at both though, like the Pilot Sport 4 (non S)
Actual stickiness has got to contribute directly to rolling resistance, no? If the tread is literally sticking to the road, that's going to resist rolling.

Your overall point definitely makes sense though, and one street tire can have more cornering grip than another without being appreciably stickier. I just can't fathom how a tire that's truly sticky, like road racing tires, could ever have comparable efficiency to a street tire (non-winter, non-offroading).

Actual stickiness has got to contribute directly to rolling resistance, no? If the tread is literally sticking to the road, that's going to resist rolling.

Your overall point definitely makes sense though, and one street tire can have more cornering grip than another without being appreciably stickier. I just can't fathom how a tire that's truly sticky, like road racing tires, could ever have comparable efficiency to a street tire (non-winter, non-offroading).
That is a common belief, that I once believed myself, but that does not actually contribute to rolling resistance, at least not in any meaningful way (perhaps with Hoosier autocross tires up to temperature it would a little bit!). The energy lost is due to deforming the tread as you roll. As each new inch of tire rolls down to the road it squishes and deforms, and that takes energy, quite a bit! Lower rolling resistance tires use materials (or less material!) so that it takes less energy to deform.

Edit: maybe a good way to think of this is think about how easy it is to flick a few pebbles stuck to a sticky race tire off the tread surface, vs how hard it would be to squish the whole sidewall and flatten the tread surface by hand.

Last edited:
Hi. I recently orded a RWD M3 since the resale of my 2018 MR is so crazy high. It will be a while until it appears so I have some time to think and reconsider. I have some question about features I did not find ...

-- first - is there a place where these sorts of details are listed?

-- otherwise...
.. Does it come with the Ryzen CPU ? Is that CPU 3.0 or what (my 2018 is 2.5) ?
.. Does RWD get the fancy Tesla neural chip ?
.. heat pump or the old type ?
.. heated wiper ?
.. 12V Lithium battery ?
.. Full navigation or still lacking the traffic as in the original SR? Satellite images?
.. includes the J1772 adapter ?
.. includes the 14-50 plub ? This is currently sold out on the Tesla page.
.. includes the newer, thicker, less noisy side windows?
.. does it have any subwoofer or just not as much as the AWD?

Thanks for any help.

Hi. I recently orded a RWD M3 since the resale of my 2018 MR is so crazy high. It will be a while until it appears so I have some time to think and reconsider. I have some question about features I did not find ...

-- first - is there a place where these sorts of details are listed?

-- otherwise...
.. Does it come with the Ryzen CPU ? Is that CPU 3.0 or what (my 2018 is 2.5) ?
.. Does RWD get the fancy Tesla neural chip ?
.. heat pump or the old type ?
.. heated wiper ?
.. 12V Lithium battery ?
.. Full navigation or still lacking the traffic as in the original SR? Satellite images?
.. includes the J1772 adapter ?
.. includes the 14-50 plub ? This is currently sold out on the Tesla page.
.. includes the newer, thicker, less noisy side windows?
.. does it have any subwoofer or just not as much as the AWD?

Thanks for any help.

1. Probably -- check the SR+ waiting room thread to see what people are reporting. HW 3 is not the ryzen chip, you are mixing up the autopilot hardware and the hardware that powers the screen. Your 2018 is hardware 2.5 if you never bought FSD. A new one will come with HW 3.0, whether it has the amd ryzen chip or the current intel atom chip (which, again, powers the screen)

2. No idea what you mean by "fancy tesla neural chip". Any new model 3 is going to come with the same hardware for FSD as every other model 3 (and every other new tesla produced at that time)

3. Heat pump

4. No idea on heated wiper on SR+. Check SR+ waiting room thread to see what peoples SR+ are coming with.

5. If it comes with the AMD processor it will have the new lithium 12v battery.

6. Full navigation in the context you are asking it ("lacking the traffic") is a result of not having premium connectivity. No premium connectivity, no showing of traffic on the nav system (regardless of which model 3). Note that it will supposedly use traffic just not show it. Buy premium connectivity, you get to see traffic (on your current model 3 as well)

7. yes, it comes with the J1772 adapter.

8. No it does not come with a 14-50 or any other adapter for the mobile connector other than the 5-15 (standard 120V outlet)

9. Check the SR+ waiting room thread for whether its coming with double glazed windows. I think in the rear but I am not sure. People in that thread likely know.

10. No idea if it has a subwoofer or not, but the people in that thread or the one I moved your post to will likely have more information

Reactions: theocguy
Thanks. I knew i was not correctly quoting compute hw but plowed ahead - it's been a few years since i thought about these details. Regarding the Neural question, Tesla designed custom NPUs for inference in FSD, but if the FSD hardware is the same then it's all good. I'm glad to hear there are not two tiers of compute power.

For the traffic question, that was neither autonpilot nor FSD related but rather historical -- the original SR had restricted nav features, it was a big deal at the time.

In general, it looks like feature difference have greatly narrowed, down to 7.6 and 170 KW charging, no fog lights (I have never actually used mine), premium audio, floor mats, ... but over time all models gained several good features as well. Seems like good progress.

Some other questions are recently discussed in the waiting room thread, but unanswered so far.

Thanks again.

For the traffic question, that was neither autonpilot nor FSD related but rather historical -- the original SR had restricted nav features, it was a big deal at the time.

The only restriction in nav features I am aware of comes from premium connectivity, and I dont think that has changed. I have been following this since not too long before I got my own model 3 (vin 106,XXX) in Dec of 2018. I dont remember any difference in navigation features at all, only whether you had premium connectivity or not.

LR / P at the time came either with premium connectivity for life of the vehicle (pre sept 2018) or 1 year of premium connectivity included. LEMR (limited edition mid range) model 3s also came with premium connectivity for a year. SR /SR+ came with premium connectivity for 30 days. Premium connectivity is what drove whether you saw traffic, satellite view etc, not any difference in hardware between the two (SR and LR/P).

Now, all model 3s come with 30 days of premium connectivity, but the requirement is still the same to have premium connectivity if you want traffic view on the nav.

@jjrandorin - check link below it looks like NAV was software limited in the beginning, independent of the connectivity options. Fortunately irrelevant now! .

Tesla finally launches base Model 3 for $35,000 with shorter range and new interior

Electrek is not a definitive source, but there isnt anything in there that disputes what I said. The 35K SR ended up being a software limited SR+ as far as range goes. The difference of "standard maps and nav" and "satellite view with in car navigation" was the difference in having premium connectivity or not.

So I know there's been some controversy about the M3P suspension since Tesla took out the 10mm language- I just happened to be reading through the Chinese Owner's manual, and notice that it shows the non-performance as 2mm different. If you max out the margin of errors, then you can get to 10mm. Very well could be that they took out the language since a 2mm difference is pretty meaningless.

I just happened to be reading through the Chinese Owner's manual, and notice that it shows the non-performance as 2mm different.
That's an interesting find. The Performance wheel/tyre combo is taller, so the for ride height to be lower the Performance springs must be shorter and of higher spring rate. I still think the 'lowered suspension' was a misnomer, based on fitment of shorter springs.

Also browsing around the CN-EN manuals, the motor specs are listed
Motor Specs from CN-EN Manual.png

Confirming that the (2022 M3P) 3D6 has higher power and torque than the (2021 M3P) 3D1 rear motor. Out of curiosity, I also checked the specs for the 3D6 in the Model Y and it is identical to the above, not the 16kW higher power cat.3 version.

Last edited: