Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Bjorn videos drop is about 40-50V. Is that bad then? Or something that battery can’t provide? And normal user should be worry about it?
It is normal behaviour that the voltage drops under load. The terminology is "Voltage sag".

Cell chemistry, cell temperature, load (current / amps) are all factors on how much the voltage will drop.

Power (P) = Voltage (U) x Current (I)
-> A pack that is prone to drop a lot, like the LG packs, should generate less power. Tesla is compensating with higher current, which also leads to more drop in Voltage. There are more factors in play, but I will try to put that into a chart later.

Anything changed with suspension in M3P? Is it still lowered?
@Jan Kowalski Tesla no longer says the M3P is lowered in the US website. That changed earlier this year. To be sure you'd need to get out your measuring tape and compare with an LR. Tesla doesn't publish many hard specs for these cars, so they have wiggle room to keep building M3P's with the lowered suspension, even if they no longer advertise it on the order page. (Nothing they publish says it won't be lower!)

Anything changed with suspension in M3P? Is it still lowered?
Part numbers are still different between LR and P. It does not appear appreciably lower than an LR to me, but I've also parked next to early M3Ps and the height looks the same there. I think Tesla's claims of 10mm was always overly optimistic, and suspect the wording and picture change on the website was to reflect reality.

It is normal behaviour that the voltage drops under load. The terminology is "Voltage sag".

Cell chemistry, cell temperature, load (current / amps) are all factors on how much the voltage will drop.

Power (P) = Voltage (U) x Current (I)
-> A pack that is prone to drop a lot, like the LG packs, should generate less power. Tesla is compensating with higher current, which also leads to more drop in Voltage. There are more factors in play, but I will try to put that into a chart later.
Very keen to see this. Has anyone collected any real world performance (0-60 etc.) data on the latest M3P with this battery and 3D6 cat iii?

Very keen to see this. Has anyone collected any real world performance (0-60 etc.) data on the latest M3P with this battery and 3D6 cat iii?
We have started to compare performance data here:

I didn't get my hands on one myself yet (expected delivery of my second 2022 Performance is in August).

Some observations - nothing final - not 100% certain:
  • 0-100kph here the two perform similar, but the Panasonic gets the same results with 10% less SoC. Both did 3,75s, but the Panasonic was at 40% and the LG at 50%.
  • 100-200kph here the one tested LG wasnt able to do any times below 10 seconds, where the Panasonic did sub 10s down to 45'ish%
Again, no head to head comparisons yet and only one LG driver who did some Dragy runs.

We have started to compare performance data here:

I didn't get my hands on one myself yet (expected delivery of my second 2022 Performance is in August).

Some observations - nothing final - not 100% certain:
  • 0-100kph here the two perform similar, but the Panasonic gets the same results with 10% less SoC. Both did 3,75s, but the Panasonic was at 40% and the LG at 50%.
  • 100-200kph here the one tested LG wasnt able to do any times below 10 seconds, where the Panasonic did sub 10s down to 45'ish%
Again, no head to head comparisons yet and only one LG driver who did some Dragy runs.
Good to know. Having experienced the previous vehicle and now the new one I can’t tell any difference between them. Seems like it is so subtle that we probably wouldn’t even see a difference in a drag race. More data points for the LG would be very useful especially in the same conditions, road etc.

Good to know. Having experienced the previous vehicle and now the new one I can’t tell any difference between them. Seems like it is so subtle that we probably wouldn’t even see a difference in a drag race. More data points for the LG would be very useful especially in the same conditions, road etc.
Its probably mostly noticeable in Germany with our unrestricted Autobahn. The M3P has always been pretty stable on acceleration up to 60kph. After 60kph you can feel the SoC reduction, but you have to pay attention. Acceleration from 120-130kph upwards (and this only really matters in Germany or on a track) changes a lot with SoC and Cell Temp.

Reactions: delta0
Its probably mostly noticeable in Germany with our unrestricted Autobahn. The M3P has always been pretty stable on acceleration up to 60kph. After 60kph you can feel the SoC reduction, but you have to pay attention. Acceleration from 120-130kph upwards (and this only really matters in Germany or on a track) changes a lot with SoC and Cell Temp.
Do we know yet what was actually changed between the 3D6 cat. ii and cat. iii?

Changing both battery and electric motors at the same time and only allow the new battery to be used with the new electric motor was not a coincidence.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Do we know yet what was actually changed between the 3D6 cat. ii and cat. iii?
There are no indications that there is any difference between the two "hardware-wise":
  • Same Motor Part Number
  • Same Inverter Part Number
  • Same Motor Revision
  • Same Maximum Current
  • Same Operating Voltage
  • Same Maximum Power RPM
  • Same 90% Power RPM
  • ...I could go on.
The only noted difference is the declared maximum rear power 219kW (CAT 2) and 235kW (CAT 3). Though the DU CAT 2 already peaks at just below 260kW full throttle in Scan My Tesla. When I tested the Model Y Performance with DU CAT 3 the rear power stopped just below 250kW. Around 10kW less on the same motor.

Check out my leaked technical documentation about the motors and drive units here:
TFF Motorwiki

Changing both battery and electric motors at the same time and only allow the new battery to be used with the new electric motor was not a coincidence.
Well, the new 3D6 motor (Q = Drive Unit Cat 2) was already introduced in July 2021 and paired with the CATL LFP and Panasonic NCA battery packs. Only the pairing with the LG and limited to Z = DU CAT 3 came much later.
This exclusive pairing with one Drive Unit wasn't the first time. This happened already with the LFP60 standard range and also with the Model Y Long Range. Both were DU CAT 2 exclusive. Later this was taken back with a new type certificate allowing the old DU CAT 1 to be used too.

So, this limit to DU CAT 3 can be taken away at any time. I've just received the new V24 of the type certificate, which I will publish later today, but I can already report, that there will be no change in this regard.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and delta0
There are no indications that there is any difference between the two "hardware-wise":
  • Same Motor Part Number
  • Same Inverter Part Number
  • Same Motor Revision
  • Same Maximum Current
  • Same Operating Voltage
  • Same Maximum Power RPM
  • Same 90% Power RPM
  • ...I could go on.
The only noted difference is the declared maximum rear power 219kW (CAT 2) and 235kW (CAT 3). Though the DU CAT 2 already peaks at just below 260kW full throttle in Scan My Tesla. When I tested the Model Y Performance with DU CAT 3 the rear power stopped just below 250kW. Around 10kW less on the same motor.

Check out my leaked technical documentation about the motors and drive units here:
TFF Motorwiki

Well, the new 3D6 motor (Q = Drive Unit Cat 2) was already introduced in July 2021 and paired with the CATL LFP and Panasonic NCA battery packs. Only the pairing with the LG and limited to Z = DU CAT 3 came much later.
This exclusive pairing with one Drive Unit wasn't the first time. This happened already with the LFP60 standard range and also with the Model Y Long Range. Both were DU CAT 2 exclusive. Later this was taken back with a new type certificate allowing the old DU CAT 1 to be used too.

So, this limit to DU CAT 3 can be taken away at any time. I've just received the new V24 of the type certificate, which I will publish later today, but I can already report, that there will be no change in this regard.
Do we know the torque and power vs rpm curves for these motors?

There must be a physical difference somewhere. They wouldn’t have changed from a cat ii to cat iii without some kind of difference.

Is the 260kw the output from the shaft or the consumed power value?

Do we know the torque and power vs rpm curves for these motors?

1657133075712.png

MYP - DU CAT 3
1657133143114.png

M3P - DU CAT 2
1657133195722.png

Both are overshooting their stated torque in the papers. The MYP a little more than the M3P. Though the M3P was at around 90%, where the MYP was at 97% SoC.

They wouldn’t have changed from a cat ii to cat iii without some kind of difference.
You could question why there have been no performance changes when there was a switch from DU CAT 1 (3D1 Wire Winding) to DU CAT 2 (Hairpin Winding). Although it says the 3D6 has more torque there have been no changes in acceleration times for example.

Is the 260kw the output from the shaft or the consumed power value?
This is all only reading Scan My Tesla values. So the same method and assumed error in electrical losses on both. On top also Dragy measurements as they translate better into real life comparison.

Regarding Maximum Motor Power in the papers:
From all the Tesla's, that I have connected my testing equipment to, there has been only one car that was exactly on the spot with all numbers, when compared to the registration documents and type certificate.
The Model 3 Standard Range from 2020-2021 with the LFP55 and LFP60 in combination with the 3D1 (DU CAT 1) motor. This car is stated to have 239kW and thats the power you saw in Scan My Tesla on every launch.
One car showed less power in SMT, the LFP55/LFP60 Model 3 SR with the 3D6 Motor. That one fell just short a couple of kW, but had better power at high speed.

All other Teslas showed higher values in Scan My Tesla. Some actually quite a lot more, like the Model 3 SR 2021 with the Panasonic 1L battery pack. 208kW -> 240kW and the Model 3 Performance with Panasonic. 377kW -> 435kW!

But then what is the point, when we know how much errors there were in the paperwork. Wrong battery capacities, wrong battery type designator, wrong wheel options, wrong type certificate revision...you name it. It might turn out that DU CAT 2 should have been declared as 393kW all along and that might be the answer or that the DU CAT 3 is a low voltage / high current layout...its all guessing.

All other Teslas showed higher values in Scan My Tesla. Some actually quite a lot more, like the Model 3 SR 2021 with the Panasonic 1L battery pack. 208kW -> 240kW and the Model 3 Performance with Panasonic. 377kW -> 435kW!
I have seen the reported combined Rear and Front motor output be 448 KW in my Model 3 Performance. That was when I ran 11.271 @ 121.79 mph. Thing was pulling hard the whole way. That was at 99% battery and I maximized preconditioning.

Max HP 448 KW.jpg

IMG_6937.JPEG

I have seen the reported combined Rear and Front motor output be 448 KW in my Model 3 Performance. That was when I ran 11.271 @ 121.79 mph. Thing was pulling hard the whole way. That was at 99% battery and I maximized preconditioning.

View attachment 825451
View attachment 825450
Where do you read those 448kW? I see 400kW combined in the s3xy buttons app.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd