Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see Bjorn Nyland has tested the 0-60 of the MYP. It’s running at 3.88s. Looking at US tests they are also 3.88-3.91s. Basically the same.
I've asked him to do this test at lower SoC as well, as that is when it gets more noticeable, but he seemed reluctant.

I am getting my M3P 2022 with LG battery pack in August (received my VIN yesterday) then I can test it side by side with my 2022 Panasonic Performance.

His acceleration tests still show the main difference between the battery pack / BMS behavior:

Model Y Performance LG vs. Model 3 Performance Panasonic:
1658825472089.png
1658825560063.png

• LG with high voltage drop, but high current. Absolute peak is around 415kW.
  • Panasonic with low voltage drop, but lower current. Absolute peak is around 435-445kW.
  • The additional power of the Panasonic is mostly sent to the front motor. (speed is not exactly the same).
  • Both cars are 2022 models with 3D3 front motor and 3D6 rear motor.
Source MYP
Source M3P

I've asked him to do this test at lower SoC as well, as that is when it gets more noticeable, but he seemed reluctant.

I am getting my M3P 2022 with LG battery pack in August (received my VIN yesterday) then I can test it side by side with my 2022 Panasonic Performance.

His acceleration tests still show the main difference between the battery pack / BMS behavior:

View attachment 832909View attachment 832910
  • Panasonic with low voltage drop, but lower current. Absolute peak is around 435-445kW.
  • The additional power of the Panasonic is mostly sent to the front motor. (speed is not exactly the same).
Source MYP
Source M3P
I have seen a combined motor output of 448 KW out of my 2022 Model 3 Performance. That 448 KW was combining the real-time front and rear motor power values and not from the “Battery Power” or “Max Discharge” value.

I saw a Max Discharge value of 462 KW this past weekend. However, the track had a delayed opening so I couldn’t run at that value. The most I have ever been able to run at is 459 KW for max discharge.

I was able to do 9 separate 1/4 mile runs in a row from 97% down to almost 80% this weekend. I did rolling dyno graphs for each run. Lots of great data there that I will do a video on.

946A4134-8F75-4FF5-A2AC-C08851440F1F.jpeg

3EEAB28A-9C04-4361-9FDC-6BBC54AE0C2A.png

I have seen a combined motor output of 448 KW out of my 2022 Model 3 Performance. That 448 KW was combining the real-time front and rear motor power values and not from the “Battery Power” or “Max Discharge” value.

I saw a Max Discharge value of 462 KW this past weekend. However, the track had a delayed opening so I couldn’t run at that value. The most I have ever been able to run at is 459 KW for max discharge.

I was able to do 9 separate 1/4 mile runs in a row from 97% down to almost 80% this weekend. I did rolling dyno graphs for each run. Lots of great data there that I will do a video on.

View attachment 832934
View attachment 832935
I think it is worth that you do these measurements with Scan My Tesla (Android / Non-Beta) and log the peak values. To get to your reported power you would need higher Bat Current limits than we seem to get in Europe. At high SoC 1240'ish Amps seems to be the end. This current gets higher with low SoC to compensate for low voltage. Would be very interesting what kind of current limits your American car is allowed to pull.

Something like this:
1658843947408.png

I think it is worth that you do these measurements with Scan My Tesla (Android / Non-Beta) and log the peak values. To get to your reported power you would need higher Bat Current limits than we seem to get in Europe. At high SoC 1240'ish Amps seems to be the end. This current gets higher with low SoC to compensate for low voltage. Would be very interesting what kind of current limits your American car is allowed to pull.

Something like this:
View attachment 832937
I only have Apple phones and ScanMyTesla doesn’t seem to work well with Apple. I can’t figure out how to adjust the fields with ScanMyTesla and my iPhone.

Here is what the S3XY buttons were reporting when I hit 448 KW combined output. Car was pulling like crazy and set the record for Model 3 trap speed in the 1/4 mile at 121.79 mph. I could really feel that this run was pulling harder than I have ever felt it pull. Top end power was as much as 13% higher than when I had a 432 max discharge value.
3C462CE4-5036-4BDB-907E-40C913B1A340.jpeg

9FA8C6DB-AA89-4F37-9CE5-91D0C00175E1.png

The S3XY buttons don’t report amps. I might ask them to try to add that. That would be useful information.

Reactions: tm1v2
The S3XY buttons don’t report amps. I might ask them to try to add that. That would be useful information.
Yes, exactly. I use both S3XY Buttons and Scan My Tesla as part of a small project I call Teslatab

It launches Scan My Tesla first, which then logs in the background and then launches S3XY buttons for its aesthetics and button feedback (chill/sport).

That looks really cool. Any way to get an English speaking version of that?
When I have the spare time I might write a small tutorial how to set it up. A friend of mine has designed the custom mount for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, but he might ship internationally too. I will have to ask him.

It is not very complicated. Just a small tasker routine which I still need to release in that thread actually. Google translate and expanding all the small topics might be quite informative already. It is a bit outdated as the animations all show Scan My Tesla Beta. This setup has changed a fair bit since.

View attachment 832909View attachment 832910
Source MYP
Source M3P
Despite the difference in battery output the acceleration is not impacted. Lower SoC will be interesting. Really he needs to have 2 cars with each battery and test them back to back. At least you will be able to do this now.

Despite the difference in battery output the acceleration is not impacted.
Did you check out the Dragy database?
US MYP do sub 3.8s runs were there is none that I could find in any Dragy database or Youtube Dragy run from the European side.

I agree that a side by side is the most telling comparison, but with the current data I disagree that acceleration is not impacted.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Did you check out the Dragy database?
US MYP do sub 3.8s runs were there is none that I could find in any Dragy database or Youtube Dragy run from the European side.

I agree that a side by side is the most telling comparison, but with the current data I disagree that acceleration is not impacted.
There’s limited data on the European side to be conclusive. I looked at some similar YouTube videos using dragy, on a road rather than a track or drag strip. They were all between 3.88 and 3.91s on normal roads. Back to back (or side to side) is the only way we are going to ever know which one is very slightly quicker than the other.

New cameras, new BYD LFP pack, maybe new LG battery pack, maybe 4680's out of GF4...in descending order oder likelihood.

A recent report said that CATL was ready to deliver their new M3P / LMFP battery pack in Q1/2023.

In regards to new "enemies" like the EV6 GT, BYD Seal and Ionic 6 I am hoping for technical improvements in the suspension and front motor, but there is nothing that indicates anything in that direction.

Reactions: MrT3
@Jan Kowalski Tesla no longer says the M3P is lowered in the US website. That changed earlier this year. To be sure you'd need to get out your measuring tape and compare with an LR. Tesla doesn't publish many hard specs for these cars, so they have wiggle room to keep building M3P's with the lowered suspension, even if they no longer advertise it on the order page. (Nothing they publish says it won't be lower!)
I had a 2021 and 2022 M3P simultaneously while waiting to sell the 2021. Not very scientific but I did a do a little check with a twig to see what all of the fuss was about. White M3P is the 2021. It does seem like the 2021 is a little lower. Granted I had 4,000 miles on the tires of the 2021 while the 2022 was fresh off of the lot. One thing I noticed pretty obviously was that the 2022 was smoother but the 2021 felt faster. Again, it's all anecdotal. I didn't do any scientific measurements. The seating position of the 2022 did not go as low as the 2021 also. It definitely sits higher.

Attachments

• 20220223_121401.jpg
    20220223_121401.jpg
    975.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220223_133327.jpg
    20220223_133327.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220223_133345.jpg
    20220223_133345.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
There’s limited data on the European side to be conclusive. I looked at some similar YouTube videos using dragy, on a road rather than a track or drag strip. They were all between 3.88 and 3.91s on normal roads. Back to back (or side to side) is the only way we are going to ever know which one is very slightly quicker than the other.
I've had the chance to compare the 2022 Panasonic and LG cars on the German Autobahn. Here is a short summary. I suggest using Google translate as it is written in "Krautsprache" aka German ;-)

Reactions: delta0
I've had the chance to compare the 2022 Panasonic and LG cars on the German Autobahn. Here is a short summary. I suggest using Google translate as it is written in "Krautsprache" aka German ;-)

Great detail. So the motors with the LG 5L are putting out more despite the battery not providing more power. Also supported by the quicker 0-60mph time in the LG until aero effects take over like you mention and the slipstreaming vehicle benefits. However we are talking such minuscule differences between them.