Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So essentially the Q2 M3P will be slower ? :D
Yes. If Tesla doesnt allow more discharge current, than the already pretty high 1350A, then the Q2 and onwards M3P is slower.
The latest M3P was quicker.
It really wasn't.
  • The LG Performance had super light wheels and sports suspension which gives it at least 0.1s advantage, but it still "only" managed 0-100 times of a stock Panasonic Performance.
  • Even when the LG Performance accelerated first, the Panasonic could always catch up. If the Panasonic was in front, the LG could never catch up and the distance increased noticeably. SoC and Cell temperature being identical on every test.
  • Over different SoC and temperatures the power difference stayed in the region of 15-20kW for the Panasonic.
This is a chart that is still in the making and missing some data, but it shows peak power at different SoC.
Orange is the Q1/2022 Panasonic and blue is Q2/2022 LG.
1660169752574.png

Yes. If Tesla doesnt allow more discharge current, than the already pretty high 1350A, then the Q2 and onwards M3P is slower.

It really wasn't.
  • The LG Performance had super light wheels and sports suspension which gives it at least 0.1s advantage, but it still "only" managed 0-100 times of a stock Panasonic Performance.
  • Even when the LG Performance accelerated first, the Panasonic could always catch up. If the Panasonic was in front, the LG could never catch up and the distance increased noticeably. SoC and Cell temperature being identical on every test.
  • Over different SoC and temperatures the power difference stayed in the region of 15-20kW for the Panasonic.
This is a chart that is still in the making and missing some data, but it shows peak power at different SoC.
View attachment 839361
I was referring to the 0-60 which was a little quicker. Regardless differences were minute. That extra torque from the motor was confirmed at least.

Rather than battery output the wheel power output vs SoC may be more interesting. It would need to be on a dyno for that though.

From your link
Panasonic
4B2B2552-A307-45B2-9AD3-69E5D932BC08.png

LG
9032D547-9935-4A7C-9670-B811DDF77798.jpeg

E013DBE2-4296-44F7-8C3C-6E6AEB3338BA.png

The differences are so tiny!

Last edited:
I was referring to the 0-60 which was a little quicker.
Check the top right corner of those Dragy runs. It says "invalid due to low satellites". I've pointed this out in the post. This screenshot was just there to explain why there was no solid Dragy data for the Panasonic Performance. On other runs it said 5.0 seconds while accelerating next to the (modified) LG performance with 3.4#s stimes. Björn Nyland did similar test with a bone stock Q1/2022 Panasonic Performance. In his videos you will see 3.4#s.
That extra torque from the motor was confirmed at least.
Yes. Though we were looking for extra 16kW of Power on the LG, which just couldn't be found. The torque comparison chart shows a Panasonic @ 93% while the LG is at 99%. So the LG is given the advantage (again) like in the acceleration tests. Still, the 20Nm of extra torque seem to always be there, across the SoC range. This advantage turns at around 70kph, where the Panasonic has up to 30Nm more torque. This is also in the description below the chart. All in German, I know.

The LG is no slouch and I am looking forward to getting mine in about one weeks time, but personally...living in Germany with the unrestricted Autobahn...the lower Power/Torque at Highway/Autobahn speeds is disappointing. The Panasonic was already on the slow side, once you were going past 150kph. At these speeds any lightly modified 2.0 turbo car can keep up and pull away.

Reactions: delta0

It really wasn't.
View attachment 839361
That's just bloody typical! For the the rolling speed is more important than from 0.....

My car is being delivered in 1-2w time I guess it has the LG batteries.

Thanks for the input

Check the top right corner of those Dragy runs. It says "invalid due to low satellites". I've pointed this out in the post. This screenshot was just there to explain why there was no solid Dragy data for the Panasonic Performance. On other runs it said 5.0 seconds while accelerating next to the (modified) LG performance with 3.4#s stimes. Björn Nyland did similar test with a bone stock Q1/2022 Panasonic Performance. In his videos you will see 3.4#s.

Yes. Though we were looking for extra 16kW of Power on the LG, which just couldn't be found. The torque comparison chart shows a Panasonic @ 93% while the LG is at 99%. So the LG is given the advantage (again) like in the acceleration tests. Still, the 20Nm of extra torque seem to always be there, across the SoC range. This advantage turns at around 70kph, where the Panasonic has up to 30Nm more torque. This is also in the description below the chart. All in German, I know.

The LG is no slouch and I am looking forward to getting mine in about one weeks time, but personally...living in Germany with the unrestricted Autobahn...the lower Power/Torque at Highway/Autobahn speeds is disappointing. The Panasonic was already on the slow side, once you were going past 150kph. At these speeds any lightly modified 2.0 turbo car can keep up and pull away.
could be that Tesla needs to tweak the mapping/software with the new battery. Maybe some improvements might come or let's hope at least :)

Reactions: delta0
My car is being delivered in 1-2w time I guess it has the LG batteries.
Yes, absolutely sure. Tesla has completed the full transition to LG 5L in all EU/Asian Model 3 and Y (except RWD).
So, what Tesla told me about the Q1 M3P being a unicorn (with the 3D6 and 3L) was correct.
The combination 3D6+Panasonic was also delivered in Q3/2021. It was a mix with the 3D1 motor back then. The Q1 is indeed a unicorn, as it also has the 2022 changes like MCU3.
Wonder how it compares to the Polestar 2 Perf with 476 at speed as that car has higher tourque and specfically 60/70-140km/H. On the other side the P2 weighs more
I've seen some Racebox results with the optional Performance upgrades. The 2022 LG Performance should be about 1s faster in the 100-200kph run. Especially in the 70-140km/h run, as this is were the M3 Dual Motor power curve is at its highest.
could be that Tesla needs to tweak the mapping/software with the new battery. Maybe some improvements might come or let's hope at least :)
Don't keep your hopes up on that. The LG is a proven battery since Q4/2021 and the current limits are already very high. Also they cant do anything about the high voltage drop in this pack, so expect the power to be as it is.

The LG shouldnt be a showstopper in any way, as the car drops in power with every % of SoC. So basically the LG at 90% drives like the Panasonic with maybe 82%. You wont be able to distinguish them while driving, when you dont focus on performance numbers from specialized tools.

You will notice it positively during regen, as it is a bit higher with the LG (when not using AP or Track Mode).

You will notice it negatively when you charge at a V3 SuC as the LG cant to the 250kW pleateau. This means you can have up to 5 minutes more waiting time on each charging stop.

Yes, absolutely sure. Tesla has completed the full transition to LG 5L in all EU/Asian Model 3 and Y (except RWD).

The combination 3D6+Panasonic was also delivered in Q3/2021. It was a mix with the 3D1 motor back then. The Q1 is indeed a unicorn, as it also has the 2022 changes like MCU3.

I've seen some Racebox results with the optional Performance upgrades. The 2022 LG Performance should be about 1s faster in the 100-200kph run. Especially in the 70-140km/h run, as this is were the M3 Dual Motor power curve is at its highest.

Don't keep your hopes up on that. The LG is a proven battery since Q4/2021 and the current limits are already very high. Also they cant do anything about the high voltage drop in this pack, so expect the power to be as it is.

The LG shouldnt be a showstopper in any way, as the car drops in power with every % of SoC. So basically the LG at 90% drives like the Panasonic with maybe 82%. You wont be able to distinguish them while driving, when you dont focus on performance numbers from specialized tools.

You will notice it positively during regen, as it is a bit higher with the LG (when not using AP or Track Mode).

You will notice it negatively when you charge at a V3 SuC as the LG cant to the 250kW pleateau. This means you can have up to 5 minutes more waiting time on each charging stop.
I have a dragy and drive hard and fast :p,

Charging issue is not a major problem for me as such as I seldom do longer trips.

I do have a P2 Perf on order as well and still contemplating which way to go.

Thanks for the input

I have a dragy and drive hard and fast :p,

Charging issue is not a major problem for me as such as I seldom do longer trips.

I do have a P2 Perf on order as well and still contemplating which way to go.
Taking all this in the equation then maybe opt for a used Q1/2022 car and get some KW or Öhins coilovers with light wheels.

That is probably the best package from a pure performance standpoint.

The choice between P2P and M3P is primary personal taste, but this is a topic for a different thread, really.

Taking all this in the equation then maybe opt for a used Q1/2022 car and get some KW or Öhins coilovers with light wheels.

That is probably the best package from a pure performance standpoint.

The choice between P2P and M3P is primary personal taste, but this is a topic for a different thread, really.
At the moment there are only 2021 cars for sale here in Sweden and they cost almost as much as the new 2022 I have on order :( and they have got their 70000sek bonus which no longer is paid out for the model 3 perf

Just to be clear on the 250kW. The LG will hit that as I have done that with a charger. I suspect you meant it drops down from 250kW earlier.

Just to be clear on the 250kW. The LG will hit that as I have done that with a charger. I suspect you meant it drops down from 250kW earlier.
I said the LG can't do the 250kW plateau. Were the Panasonic will keep 250kW from 0 to 18% (give or take), the LG will hit 250kW at very low SoC, but only hold it for a couple of seconds max. It then progressively drops. The two charge curves meet somewhere around 50% and are then basically even.

Eivissa do you have any further info on the rumors about a Berlin Model Y SR using BYD LFP blade cells? I heard 55kWh which seems weird as the Model 3 SR with CATL LFP cells is 60kWh.
Yes. I've released information about this car about six weeks ago. Here:

That's the thread were is post all new information about M3/MY for Europe.

Reactions: RVAC
Thank you, if I'm reading it correctly the weight is the same as the Model Y LR?

Would be cool if you could post the same stuff on here in the future as well for those of us that don't know German.