Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model YP Delivery: Breakdown after 4 Days- What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new MYP suffered a breakdown 4 days after delivery, and was towed to Tesla Service Center. Diagnosis was Rear Drive Unit failure- not a minor issue, but requiring a major mechanical repair. Our preference is for (another car with) an original factory-installed Drive Unit, and not a Service Center replacement drive unit. Before 10/2020, this situation would have been resolved by Tesla’s Satisfaction Guarantee (repurchase car within 7 days/1000 miles); now, we are at the mercy of “management,” to whom Customer Service advisors told us they have escalated resolution of the problem. Days later, still Crickets from anyone at Tesla. Anyone have a similar issue with receiving a defective Tesla at delivery? Any luck with Tesla providing resolution to your satisfaction?
7F7C7868-C278-43FF-B368-816B4211057D.jpeg

Our preference is for (another car with) an original factory-installed Drive Unit, and not a Service Center replacement drive unit.
It doesn't really matter what your preference is, the only thing you are owed is for them to repair it. (And what is to say that the next one wouldn't have even more problems?) Not to mention if you purchased via a loan/lease having to unwind the whole transaction and apply for financing again, at likely a higher rate now. (Most banks will not let you switch the collateral out on an existing loan/lease.)

One option is to start filing a complain under the Florida Lemon law customer protection.
I'm not aware of any lemon laws that would cover something before a repair has even been attempted...

Upvote 1
It doesn't really matter what your preference is, the only thing you are owed is for them to repair it. (And what is to say that the next one wouldn't have even more problems?) Not to mention if you purchased via a loan/lease having to unwind the whole transaction and apply for financing again, at likely a higher rate now. (Most banks will not let you switch the collateral out on an existing loan/lease.)

I'm not aware of any lemon laws that would cover something before a repair has even been attempted...
Well, our expectation for a new Tesla is that it will be a vehicle of sufficient production quality that there would be an infinitesimal chance of catastrophic failure during the first 100 miles. If it were another make of luxury car, I would expect the same; as I wouldn’t want a 100mile BMW with a blown engine repaired, or failed transmission replaced, I would pursue a repurchase/replacement. Replacement of major drivetrain components in the field is never equivalent to factory-original quality and reliability; for many buyers who inspect the subsequent Carfax report, the vehicle history would diminish the value of the car. I hope you never find yourself in similar remorse, requesting resolution that the manufacturer is quite capable of providing to defend its reputation for quality of product and customer service, and no, is not “owed” to you.

Upvote 0
Replacement of major drivetrain components in the field is never equivalent to factory-original quality and reliability;
That may generally be true for ICE vehicles, but I don't think it applies to Teslas. They will likely use a factory fresh drive unit.

for many buyers who inspect the subsequent Carfax report, the vehicle history would diminish the value of the car.
I doubt anything is going to show up on Carfax. I have never seen Tesla report anything to them.

Upvote 0
Well, our expectation for a new Tesla is that it will be a vehicle of sufficient production quality that there would be an infinitesimal chance of catastrophic failure during the first 100 miles. If it were another make of luxury car, I would expect the same; as I wouldn’t want a 100mile BMW with a blown engine repaired, or failed transmission replaced, I would pursue a repurchase/replacement. Replacement of major drivetrain components in the field is never equivalent to factory-original quality and reliability; for many buyers who inspect the subsequent Carfax report, the vehicle history would diminish the value of the car. I hope you never find yourself in similar remorse, requesting resolution that the manufacturer is quite capable of providing to defend its reputation for quality of product and customer service, and no, is not “owed” to you.
MP3Mike's objectivity is compromised at best, looking out for consumers takes a back seat to looking out for the corporation when you're a shareholder

Upvote 0
MP3Mike's objectivity is compromised at best, looking out for consumers takes a back seat to looking out for the corporation when you're a shareholder
I may be a shareholder, by my objectivity isn't compromised. I call Tesla out for things that they do wrong. For example how they are handling the PCS failures in some Model 3s. I have encouraged people to file arbitration claims against Tesla because they should be covering it under the battery warranty and are not. (The arbitration fees will cost Tesla more than just replacing the PCS would have, and they will likely end up having to replace the PCS under warranty as well.) My hope is that after a couple arbitration cases are resolved in favor of the consumer that Tesla will change their policy and do the right thing for everyone.

Upvote 0
A drive unit failure occuring within the first hundred miles, and four days of ownership, stranding the driver and passenger, definitely entitles the consumer of ANY new car to a do-over. It’s something that simply shouldn’t happen, in 2022. Period.
I’m sorry you were stranded (terrible experience) l, but it feels like you’re equating “EV drive unit” with “ICE engine” here. They’re apples and oranges. It’s a replaceable part. Say you had a new ICE car and we’re stranded due to a radiator leak — would you expect a replacement car?

Upvote 0
A drive unit failure occuring within the first hundred miles, and four days of ownership, stranding the driver and passenger, definitely entitles the consumer of ANY new car to a do-over. It’s something that simply shouldn’t happen, in 2022. Period.
You can get a do-over, get the car fixed and sell it. Then place an order with Tesla and get a new car in 9-12 months.
Some people are way too entitled. Things break, there’s no car manufacturer with a 0% failure rate.

Upvote 0