Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model YP Delivery: Breakdown after 4 Days- What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new MYP suffered a breakdown 4 days after delivery, and was towed to Tesla Service Center. Diagnosis was Rear Drive Unit failure- not a minor issue, but requiring a major mechanical repair. Our preference is for (another car with) an original factory-installed Drive Unit, and not a Service Center replacement drive unit. Before 10/2020, this situation would have been resolved by Tesla’s Satisfaction Guarantee (repurchase car within 7 days/1000 miles); now, we are at the mercy of “management,” to whom Customer Service advisors told us they have escalated resolution of the problem. Days later, still Crickets from anyone at Tesla. Anyone have a similar issue with receiving a defective Tesla at delivery? Any luck with Tesla providing resolution to your satisfaction?
7F7C7868-C278-43FF-B368-816B4211057D.jpeg

I had both headlights in my Model S replaced under warranty, should I have asked for a new Model S instead of headlights?
Headlights are routine replacement parts, not major powertrain components. I’m afraid you’re attempting “reduction to the ridiculous” by comparing my Drive Unit to a headlight. I’ll admit to having higher expectations of Tesla than you perhaps would, under the same circumstances.

Upvote 0
You can get a do-over, get the car fixed and sell it. Then place an order with Tesla and get a new car in 9-12 months.
Some people are way too entitled. Things break, there’s no car manufacturer with a 0% failure rate.
Yes, there’s that option, of course. And in this crazy market, we’d likely come out even or ahead.
Things break, especially on cars, but things should not be delivered broken, or break within the first 100 miles. That kind of failure rate is 0%, for most manufacturers. That’s a distinction that seems unrecognized here.

Upvote 0
Headlights are routine replacement parts, not major powertrain components. I’m afraid you’re attempting “reduction to the ridiculous” by comparing my Drive Unit to a headlight. I’ll admit to having higher expectations of Tesla than you perhaps would, under the same circumstances.
LED headlights are not a routine replacement part.
I’m comparing your drive unit to any replaceable part on a vehicle. Cars are built to have certain parts replaced if they break, so you don’t need to replace the entire vehicle.
I had 2 new Audis blow a cylinder within weeks of each other. They were fixed under warranty and I was on my way. I didn’t request 2 brand new cars.
Things break, they get fixed, get over it.

Yes, there’s that option, of course. And in this crazy market, we’d likely come out even or ahead.
Things break, especially on cars, but things should not be delivered broken, or break within the first 100 miles. That kind of failure rate is 0%, for most manufacturers. That’s a distinction that seems unrecognized here.
Do you really think that Tesla is the only car manufacturer that has had a mechanical failure with one of its vehicles within the 1st 100 miles?
They are fixing it and it will drive and act like it never happened. What else do you want them to do? If they give you a new Tesla, you’d probably complain about panel gaps or bad paint.

Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0