Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model YP in the snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my wife has a 2022 MYP and we have the Michelin all season tires. Will those be fine for a Michigan winter? How has your experience been?

Attachments

• IMG_9319.JPG
    IMG_9319.JPG
    507.1 KB · Views: 177
You can turn on snow mode or turn down the level of regen.
Neither of those are optional settings on any current model of the Tesla Model Y. You can select Chill mode and this will reduce power to the front and rear drive motors. You can also engage Off-Road mode but this mode disables the traction control.

Tesla removed the option for reduced regenerative braking. Current production Tesla Model Y vehicles as delivered do not have the factory capability for the user to select Low, only Standard regenerative braking. (There are aftermarket smart buttons you can purchase that can enable low regenerative braking.)

The real issue will be the potholes and general poor condition of the roads (not just in winter.) The low profile tires on the Performance Model Y do not stand much chance on Michigan roads in winter. For winter driving you would want 19" or 18" wheels and winter tires, else drive a different vehicle when the roads are snow covered, icy. Even then pot holes year round remain a concern with the OE 21" wheels and factory low profile tires.

Last edited:
In Chicago (much the same as MI) I have had no issues in the winter driving the YP since 2020. Have the same all season tires as you. As for all the fears on winter regen it’s a mute point in my opinion. As soon as it gets that cold the car rarely if ever regens and tells you so. You will likely be a bit more cautious one peddle driving but overall never been an issue here. We have also used the car several times to ski in the UP of MI and no issues.

Reactions: nate704
Neither of those are optional settings on any current model of the Tesla Model Y. You can select Chill mode and this will reduce power to the front and rear drive motors. You can also engage Off-Road mode but this mode disables the traction control.

Tesla removed the option for reduced regenerative braking. Current production Tesla Model Y vehicles as delivered do not have the factory capability for the user to select Low, only Standard regenerative braking. (There are aftermarket smart buttons you can purchase that can enable low regenerative braking.)

The real issue will be the potholes and general poor condition of the roads (not just in winter.) The low profile tires on the Performance Model Y do not stand much chance on Michigan roads in winter. For winter driving you would want 19" or 18" wheels and winter tires, else drive a different vehicle when the roads are snow covered, icy. Even then pot holes year round remain a concern with the OE 21" wheels and factory low profile tires.
I highly doubt that the majority of the Michigan drivers use all season tires that came with the car during the winter driving. As the poster above mentioned, it it will be totally fine with 21s.

Here's the fun fact: when I had a VW Golf R with factory 19s, people said it was too dangerous to drive with the 19s and 17s are must for winter driving. Do you see where I am getting at here? =)

Highly suggest snow tires. I live in MI during half of the winter and on my 5th winter. I look at snow tires keeping me out of the bump shop. Switch over on December 1 and back to all season April 1.

Do you need them? I guess maybe not. All user subjective. Some people see snow and freak. Some blast through the drifts and drive big miles in the winter. I drive in almost all conditions outside of ice that I am aware of at the time. Roads in Michigan are horrendous. I have 18 inch forged on my 3 and stock 19's on my S.

Slip start is used at the moment. Not at every time. From manual:

Although Slip Start is automatically disabled the next time you start Model 3, it is strongly recommended that you disable it immediately after the circumstances that required you to enable it have passed.

Reactions: ClaytonW
So all people in Vernon or Michigan drive with snow tires? I’m assuming most won’t.
People can choose to drive their cars with bald tires too. Doesn’t make it a good idea.

I’m not sure what point it is you are trying to make. If it’s that Tesla delivers all vehicles to all regions with adequate tires; that is demonstrably false.

If it’s that most Tesla owners in winter clients just assume it’s okay to drive on whatever tires come stock on the vehicle; that is also false. Winter tires exist for a reason.

Go troll elsewhere, please.

when snows a lot, people do not go out/drive. So, it should be fine. You can turn on snow mode or turn down the level of regen.
I think that depends heavily on where you live. If you live in a snowy region where roads are covered in some form of ice and/or snow basically from Dec to Apr, it takes a whopping storm to keep people off the roads. Life must go on. If you'll be driving on cold roads, snow or ice = winter tires.

Hi all, my wife has a 2022 MYP and we have the Michelin all season tires. Will those be fine for a Michigan winter? How has your experience been?
What did you do with your previous cars? I would do the same. The only caveat would be with the width of the tires, they would tend to ride over the snow rather than cutting through.

I have the Geminis with Conti all-seasons on mine and the one time we had serious snow here in NJ this past winter, I went out and played around with all of the various settings and found leaving it in my 'normal' settings (Standard for driving, Sport for steering) worked just fine for me.

Vermont- going to ski areas all the time, always when it is snowing the most- it does really well in the snow [vredenstein snow tires] I would use Chill mode in slippery conditions, but really never needed the slipstart/offroad modes. I do better than the other MYPs though because I went for the non-performance tires for the ride in the summer and the traction in the winter.