Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model YP with disabled front motor - Still a great experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My front motor went out about a week ago ("Power reduced - Ok to drive - Front motor temporarily disabled"). I made an appointment two weeks out. Luckily, nothing else has gone wrong or was indicated. Interestingly, it's not a bad driving experience. The Chill/Sport still works, and you save a ton of range by adjusting your driving habits and not ripping it everywhere you go. In Chill mode with just the rear motor, the charge was definitely extended (though I didn't take notes on kW consumption), and in Sport, the rear-only set up actually boogies pretty well when needed - it still impressed some newbie Tesla passengers. The power reduction is a bit noticeable taking 90% turns from a stop, and of course there's no AWD to help out.

The worst of it is that it takes about 10 seconds from when you step on the brake to start the car for the "Power reduced" warning to pop up, so you need to be patient every time you get in to go somewhere. I suspect its trying to get a diagnostic feedback on that front motor and times out before tripping the warning.

This may be what the standard range will feel like when they start shipping those. Not too shabby.

Last edited:
This is a known issue in firmware 2022.8.3.5, according to my chat with Tesla support, as well as my SC in Virginia. I got the same error 4 weeks ago (only once), had it monitored by Tesla support, had an appointment last week, and no issues found. I had my A/C pressure switches replaced and upper ball joints resealed per the 2 outstanding TSBs that hasn't been performed.

Took delivery of my MYP in January and with 1250 miles on it, front motor went out. Same experience as OP.

Service has treated me well and has had the vehicle close to 2 weeks now. Fingers crossed I don't need to start researching lemon laws in my state. Assuming it gets fixed once and fixed correctly, then not the end of the world to me. However, the wife will probably not be so forgiving if this thing ends up back in the shop again

My front motor went out about a week ago ("Power reduced - Ok to drive - Front motor temporarily disabled"). I made an appointment two weeks out. Luckily, nothing else has gone wrong or was indicated. Interestingly, it's not a bad driving experience. The Chill/Sport still works, and you save a ton of range by adjusting your driving habits and not ripping it everywhere you go. In Chill mode with just the rear motor, the charge was definitely extended (though I didn't take notes on kW consumption), and in Sport, the rear-only set up actually boogies pretty well when needed - it still impressed some newbie Tesla passengers. The power reduction is a bit noticeable taking 90% turns from a stop, and of course there's no AWD to help out.

The worst of it is that it takes about 10 seconds from when you step on the brake to start the car for the "Power reduced" warning to pop up, so you need to be patient every time you get in to go somewhere. I suspect its trying to get a diagnostic feedback on that front motor and times out before tripping the warning.

This may be what the standard range will feel like when they start shipping those. Not too shabby.
Has there been a resolution?