Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y's in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see those pics!

Can we keep it simple though...
Tell us-
Model/options,
Date Ordered,
Date Delivered,
What Island it's on,
Favorite thing about your 'MY'!

Try not to clog up the thread with questions, etc.
And NO COVID DISCUSSIONS!
We want to be happy!

Reactions: Akikiki
Bumping an old thread with more details for the Hawaii folks waiting on a Y.

Checked with online chat to make sure there was nothing else I needed to do with my account for my Y order. I asked if there had been any deliveries in Hawaii yet and was told no, but there is a Model Y on display at the Honolulu store and one at the Waikiki store.

Got excited that I could at least see one in person — but called first since I wasn’t sure if they were open by appointment only. It was a good thing I did, as the Ala Moana store rep said there wasn’t one at either location and that the chat reps sometimes assume that all Tesla stores are the same.

The Ala Moana rep mentioned that there was only one Y delivery he was aware of, that it happened pre-shutdown, and it was to an individual on Maui.

I'm waiting on VIN and delivery date for my 2/1/20 order. I was contacted a couple of times in April and May by representatives just checking in on my order and if I had any questions. I've also finalized my trade-in offer on my 3, but I suspect the offer will expire before I can take delivery. Hopefully the value doesn't drop otherwise I'm postponing delivery. I was pleasantly surprised by how much they offered me for my 3.

PS - Too bad we can't cross-post or link this back to the Hawaii forum.

Ordered my MY in March. MSM AWD Performance (not PUP) with 19' Gemini (would've totally went for the induction if available when I ordered), all black interior, no FSD. VIN found in source code on the first of June, 11xxx. Contacted the delivery center in Kaka'ako and Angelo said the vehicle had just come off the line and was ready to ship. He said to plan for delivery/inspection at the end of June! I'm sure some of your MYs will be arriving soon too!

Just finalized my financing and currently waiting on VIN and final purchase agreement. Mainland advisor via email said likely delivery end of June early July. Hopefully my M3 AWD trade in value holds until delivery. My Y is a 2/2/20 order, MSM LR AWD, All black, FSD, 19" Gemini wheels.

Also, the advisor said the new eligibility for Model Ys under the referral program is only for prospective reservations/orders, not applicable to existing orders (in case anyone was thinking about it)

Can’t believe it but...
The wait finally is over! Up until yesterday we kept checking for assigned VIN but still remained blank. Husband received text the day before from Tesla (unbeknownst to me) asking to confirm delivery. After phone call with Angelo, they coordinated Appt. Just took delivery of mine’s (Pearl White Perfomance with upgrade) yesterday 6/11/20 @ 3pm at Kakaako service center. Date ordered February 2020. Husband tricked me into thinking we were just stopping there yesterday to get air in tires for the model 3.
- Favorite thing about my MY: significant driving height boost compared to 3. Also these ubertine wheels are sharp!

Hope you all get yours sooner than you expect too!

Attachments

• 1B8793F4-B234-49E0-911F-A7F9BB8E5FFE.jpeg
    1B8793F4-B234-49E0-911F-A7F9BB8E5FFE.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 253
Congratulations to those taking delivery! Can’t wait to see these on the street.

A friend who took his Model 3 in for servicing at the Kakaako SC this morning said he saw a white LR AWD with 19” wheels in the customer delivery area, ready to go with temporary plates.

Just confirmed delivery for Tuesday afternoon at the Service center! I was totally surprised by an email this morning asking me to confirm my trade in value and make final payment (which I did). On the order page, I noticed it actually said my delivery appointment was Sunday at 5pm, which I knew was strange. According to Angelo, they have vehicles that are made and shipped out and get matched to the first available order that is ready and done. I got VIN 668X. I forgot to ask/remind Angelo to not mount the front plate and to put the safety check on the plate, not the bumper. @Nightfury808 - Was your front plate already mounted when you got it? I left a message for Angelo; I hope he gets it before they do it.

The one my friend saw at the Kakaako SC was also in the VIN 6XXX range, so that must have been the batch for the first shipment to Hawaii. A service center rep said about 30 - 40 Model Ys were in the shipment.

Last I checked, my 11XXX VIN was still in California and it looks like that's where I'll stop tracking it. I've made the decision to give up the VIN and defer. Main reason is that I've really cut down my driving due to working from home and it looks like that will continue through year-end. I have a vehicle that works fine, so there's no pressing deadline that I'm working within.

I will admit -- the quality issues are a concern for me. I know, as others have pointed out, that this is the norm for Tesla, that most of the issues are correctable at the service center, and that the negatives tend to be amplified on these forums. I knew some of this when I ordered, but I figured I would be so far back in the queue (I ordered in February 2020) that most of the "new model" pains would be worked out by then. I didn't think I'd be taking delivery so soon and with the additional chaos of a factory shut-down mixed in. So perhaps a little more time before taking delivery will help.

Lastly, the 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime caught my eye, and I've been reading more about it. Seems like it will be in really short supply when it arrives in the fall. Full driving impressions will go live on July 1, but the previews from Alex on Autos and TFL piqued my interest. It goes 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, will go up to 40 miles on pure EV, has a ~500 mile range in "hybrid mode," qualifies for the $7,500 federal tax credit, and has a spare tire.

Before the tax credit, a fully loaded one (XSE with all options) will be about $7,500 less than my Model Y, as configured (LR AWD, White, Black, 20" wheels). The tax credit doubles the difference to almost $15k. I know we're not talking apples-to-apples, but not an insignificant difference.

Last edited:
I took delivery yesterday of my 5/20 build VIN 668x. My vehicle had the similar issues that others are reporting (misaligned tail light assemblies, misaligned rear seat back, charge port doors not flush), and I also have a couple of deep gouges and scratches on the door hinges, dirty fingerprint marks on two pieces of headliner trim, and tape residue on the center console. Overall, I think I'm most disappointed in the fingerprints and tape residue, since that's an indication of lack of care/attention to detail on the part of the factory assembly team and local center QC inspection process.

I had worse issues when I took delivery of my 3 (they had the wrong wheels on the car (!) and there were serious paint defects on two door panels), but I was still pleased overall.

Reactions: myMY808
Great looking car! Any issues with the quality at delivery?
Same issues as others have mentioned in other forums, mostly to do with paint quality. We noted a paint chip on passenger side windshield pillar, a paint pimple on the driver side windshield pillar, aaand slight sandpaper feel to body paint near spoiler. We too were surprised at the multiple dirty finger prints on the headliner trim. None of which takes away from the excitement of finally taking delivery - we’re still very stoked overall about our MY

Just confirmed delivery for Tuesday afternoon at the Service center! I was totally surprised by an email this morning asking me to confirm my trade in value and make final payment (which I did). On the order page, I noticed it actually said my delivery appointment was Sunday at 5pm, which I knew was strange. According to Angelo, they have vehicles that are made and shipped out and get matched to the first available order that is ready and done. I got VIN 668X. I forgot to ask/remind Angelo to not mount the front plate and to put the safety check on the plate, not the bumper. @Nightfury808 - Was your front plate already mounted when you got it? I left a message for Angelo; I hope he gets it before they do it.
Hope you are pleased with taking delivery of your MY - congrats! Nice driving isn’t it? Oh p.s. - They did not mount my front plate

I'm pleased with the MHY. The vehicle had similar issues to what everyone else reported, but overall it's a great car and definitely refined compared to my 2018 M3 AWD. Reminds me a lot of how driving my X used to feel, except smaller and more nimble.

I managed to catch them in time before they mounted the front plate, however they did affix the safety check to the bumper because they don't do the license plate mount plate anymore. :mad: Good thing I'm getting it wrapped and the detailer has a way to remove it and affix to the license plate.

Reactions: HAWX 12
I managed to catch them in time before they mounted the front plate, however they did affix the safety check to the bumper because they don't do the license plate mount plate anymore. :mad: Good thing I'm getting it wrapped and the detailer has a way to remove it and affix to the license plate.

They reportedly stopped doing the license plate safety check bracket by default last spring or summer — cost cutting was what the Ala Moana store mentioned.

Won’t help you since it already happened, but FYI for others: If you want them to stick the safety check on a bracket, you have to coordinate with your delivery advisor and/or the local delivery team. You need to buy the bracket ($15-20, most auto parts stores have them) and drop it off at the service center when told to do so.

This is how a friend of mine got his installed on a bracket last summer and was how I was preparing this time around...so now I have an unused bracket but deferred the Model Y.

On a side note: test drove a RAV4 Hybrid and am leaning towards the RAV4 Prime, if I can get my hands on one. Deferred my Model Y order until December and will hopefully have made a final decision by then. I’m in no rush, so the additional time will allow me to (eventually) test drive a Model Y and (hopefully) there will be some improvement in Tesla delivery quality.

Reactions: HAWX 12
I’m not the first but one of the only black model Ys

Was originally going to get white but had to take advantage of blacked out trims.

Received lot of compliments on the black so far.

Slight panel issue with the rear trunk and charger. Thus otherwise everything else is pretty minor.

Attachments

• 2C97A416-5B1D-4313-B547-B5EC395D6D25.jpeg
    2C97A416-5B1D-4313-B547-B5EC395D6D25.jpeg
    660.5 KB · Views: 162
  • BA93534A-148E-4F95-A83A-A76F5C6FB047.jpeg
    BA93534A-148E-4F95-A83A-A76F5C6FB047.jpeg
    590.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 21DAFCA7-953F-4655-AD02-1AA35419538D.jpeg
    21DAFCA7-953F-4655-AD02-1AA35419538D.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: HAWX 12 and gmtom1