Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
Leaving my current job next week and have to give back my Model S P100d back on Friday.

My next job has a car benefit rather than company car scheme. I ideally wanted a Model X Performance but can’t really justify the cost without the tax benefits as it’s just me and the better half (twice the price nearly)

I am thinking about getting a Model 3 performance instead with the Black and White interior and full self driving.

I’m scared it will feel like a downgrade in terms of size, performance (slightly), range (slightly) and a hatchback boot. However, I will get the faster MCU which supports theatre mode and is super fast compared my old tegra based MCU and full self driving (I had enhanced auto pilot before), so hopefully it feels not too bad.

Has anyone gone from the Model S to Model 3? Do you regret it ? I’m scared on a decision.
What’s a realistic range for Model 3 Performance ? I average 250 miles in my P100D. Does Model 3 Performance come with unlimited supercharging or a number or credits ? Model X and S is still unlimited but can’t see anything on on Tesla’s website for Model 3.

My new car allowance is £1000 per month so about in the middle of the model 3 and model x performance cost.

I’m writing off another Model S as the cost isn’t much difference to a Model X so would rather go X.

It’ll admittedly feel slower but it’ll take sustained hammering a lot more gracefully than a pre-raven SPD.

It’s a physically smaller car also but makes really great use of that space. Range should be very similar if you swap the 20” for a nice light set of 18’s.

Finally test drove the Model 3 Performance today. Small hit on performance but not in real world scenarios compared to my S. The biggest thing I'll miss is the hatch-back boot, but in terms of the space I need it will be fine, so I can live with that. Small Niggles around manual boot open/close, no heated steering wheel, ride slightly firmer (as I have air suspension on my S) but I can't justify the extra £600 pm for those. I'm happy with my choice.

I'm going to get my Model 3 Wrapped, Windows Tinteted and De-Chromed similar to the below. I really like the white interior but not sure if the bright inside and dark outside will clash.

ec7e0624445fbf7c38811fa35eab78ce.jpg

I made the switch from a Performance S to a Performance 3 over a year ago. I wrote at length about the differences between the cars HERE.

The 3 is a lot slower at launch so I was disappointed a bit at first, but I got used to it and am happy with the 3's acceleration now.

The 3 is more fun around town, but the S is a nicer car for long trips. Given that my wife has an X that we take on trips, switching to a 3 made a lot of sense for me.

If my car was our only Tesla, though, I would have kept the S for it's extra space, range, comfort, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdubya3
Finally test drove the Model 3 Performance today. Small hit on performance but not in real world scenarios compared to my S. The biggest thing I'll miss is the hatch-back boot, but in terms of the space I need it will be fine, so I can live with that. Small Niggles around manual boot open/close, no heated steering wheel, ride slightly firmer (as I have air suspension on my S) but I can't justify the extra £600 pm for those. I'm happy with my choice.

I'm going to get my Model 3 Wrapped, Windows Tinteted and De-Chromed similar to the below. I really like the white interior but not sure if the bright inside and dark outside will clash.

ec7e0624445fbf7c38811fa35eab78ce.jpg
Don’t you wanna know about the HEPA filter?