Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3 Driver's Side Headlight Failure....Replacement not working either.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bloodstripe_M3

Supporting Member
May 31, 2022
Virginia Beach
2018 Model 3 with the driver’s side headlight that stopped working (visible condensation inside the housing) a couple weeks ago. I took it to Tesla Service in Norfolk to get it looked at and they told me they can’t touch it because of the aftermarket parts (LiOn 12v battery, electric frunk/trunk) that were installed by the previous owner. Totally understand that this is Tesla’s policy although it would have been nice to have at least gotten a diagnostic.

So I went home and ordered a driver’s side headlight to do it myself and installed it this morning.

I've plugged the headlight back into the connector but it's not coming on. The new headlight seems to be getting power as I am hearing a buzzing from the headlight but the light is not turning on.... I also used a multimeter to test the connector and I am getting ~14v. I'm wondering if maybe it has something to do with the headlight driver not being the original or if it is something that Tesla has to do to update a new headlight....

I also attempted both soft and hard resets with no luck.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am located in Virginia Beach so if anyone happens to know a place that will work on a Tesla or a Tesla technician that is looking for a side gig please point me in that direction.

Tino

The headlight has nothing to do with those other mods so they should have been able to replace the headlight. You can't replace the headlight yourself because the car needs to be updated so it can talk to the headlight. You can't just buy a light and plug it in.

I know because I had to have my driver's side headlight replaced (under warranty), but they had to connect to the car after plugging in the new headlight and update the car.

I’m with you on the headlight having nothing to do with the other mods. The car is still under warranty but Tesla Service told me they wouldn’t touch it unless I removed “everything” aftermarket. I asked what everything meant and he just repeated, “everything”.

Good to know about the update. Thank you for that info.

About two weeks prior to this appointment, I actually had Tesla Mobile Service come out and replace (for free) a torn front undercarriage aero cover, and the guy at the Tesla service center then told me the tech shouldn’t have done that repair and that he should have charged me for it….but that they wouldn’t charge me because the work had already been done.

I might call them and see if they can give me some clarity on what everything means…if it’s just the battery, then I’ll throw a lead acid one in there and have them replace the headlight.

Apparently you have to turn on "SERVICE MODE" and request software reinstall before removing the old one and perform the SW reinstall after you've installed the new one:
https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-FF5D0BE4-B85F-4616-B3B6-0908123A45F4.html
https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-1295FB92-F7BD-4CF2-AA5B-C7D23A978AB2.html
You might have to register to get access to the service docs, I believe it is free (used to be).
This worked! Thanks so much for the info and the resources. It was a little nerve warm king waiting to see if it was going to work.

Was also able to see and confirm (in service mode) a comms error with my wipers which have been acting up.

Reactions: XPsionic
Apparently you have to turn on "SERVICE MODE" and request software reinstall before removing the old one and perform the SW reinstall after you've installed the new one:
https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-FF5D0BE4-B85F-4616-B3B6-0908123A45F4.html
https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...UID-1295FB92-F7BD-4CF2-AA5B-C7D23A978AB2.html
You might have to register to get access to the service docs, I believe it is free (used to be).
These don't go any where for me. @bloodstripe_M3 did you already have access to service docs to make those links work? If not, how did you get access to the service manual? I could really use a copy of it for the work I'm doing as well.

@Jstar97 did you try to create and account? That should give you access to the online service documentation, and it should be free.
@rtanov I see what you mean now, and I just did sign up for the free subscription which gave me access to most things except the "X" items (see screen shot). Maybe that will come with time and I do have access to the parts catalog now. Is there some trick to accessing the service manual and diagrams?
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.10.51.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.11.40.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 12.11.40.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 99
Not sure. I seem to have access to the items you have crossed. I signed up when this came out earlier this year, maybe they changed the free subscription options.
https://insideevs.com/news/587165/tesla-service-manuals-now-free-of-charge-grab-them-while-you-can/#:~:text=Tesla's%20service%20manuals%2C%20which%20used,for%20the%20entire%20vehicle%20lineup.
Tesla changed their minds: I bet that’s exactly what happened. Sigh. I guess I’ll try to find them in the gray market or something. Geez

This worked! Thanks so much for the info and the resources. It was a little nerve warm king waiting to see if it was going to work.

Was also able to see and confirm (in service mode) a comms error with my wipers which have been acting up.
Did you reinstall the old headlamp temporarily? or just ran reinstall software in service mode with new headlamp installed?