Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model3 FSD or autopilot for 300 miles commute one way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any other options? to do this long commute

Please don't expect Autopilot or FSD to drive for you. These are driver *assistance* features, they're not going to drive you there while you work or sleep.

One man watched a movie while using FSD and it drove under a tractor trailer at high speed, slicing the top of the car off and decapitating the driver. They were not able to reattach either of them.

I really like my Model 3, and find that I arrive feeling less fatigued after a long road trip than with other cars... but I second what others have said, this commute is unrealistic.

Perhaps your employer would allow you to work remotely but come into the office 2 consecutive days every 2 weeks. Then you can drive there early Monday morning and drive home Tuesday night just twice a month, staying in a hotel overnight each time. Perhaps some arrangement like that could actually be sustainable.

I'm a little surprised the employer wasn't curious about his plans when he took the job. I know if I were the employer I'd want to make it clear what the expectations were for in-person attendance, and I'd also (as the employer) expect the employee to quit within maybe two months if he were really doing six hour commutes(occasionally becoming TEN hour commutes in the winter, which is even more obviously unsustainable).

Last edited:
Can you charge at work for free? If I let my car charge all day at the 6kwh charger I can get around 60%. That would be beneficial in saving the gas and supercharger fees. Also, Autopilot is amazing for long drives!

I have an employee in the same situation. His commute is 150 miles one way 3-5x a week for an 8hr shift. When I hired him, I knew the situation and so did he. It has been over a year now and he's still driving the same car (ford focus) doing the same commute.

I drive 30m a day and that is the cutoff for me! Good luck and download some audiobooks.

I just got my model 3 with EAP and my commute is about 60 miles one way, 2-3x a week. Think autopilot is more than sufficient. 200 miles is a long way though, as long as you're able to charge at work, I think you'll be fine. Definitely would suggest asking if working remotely and coming in as needed is possible, should have asked that during the interview process.

NO car is going to make that situation a viable commute. But, if you ever do get a Tesla, opt for EAP if it's available. FSD just isn't ready yet, but I love having the auto lane changes with EAP. As others have said, you have to remain engaged with the car and the steering wheel, but just having EAP makes long miles so much less tiring.

Yes. If your Model 3 LR is rated at 358 miles, you can do 200 miles driving conservatively in summer, but you might barely make it for sub-zero winter.

My rule of thumb is to get 100 more miles on the battery.

That means when I need to drive 200 miles, I won't leave until the battery gauge is 300.

In your case, you need a charger at work to fill it up to at least 300 miles for the 200-mile trip home.

Sounds good to me.

I would say Autopilot is good enough for highways.

FSD adds Navigation on Autopilot so it can change lanes on its own but I don't use it because it can make irrational lane changes. More work for me to monitor and correct its mistakes.

---
Some doctors drive from Los Angeles and Orange County to work in my small town (200 miles away.) Not daily, but maybe twice a week or just weekly on ICE.
Plenty of superchargers on that route.

And let's get back to the weather. Some of the most miserable winter weather in the country is in that corridor. The army uses Watertown as their arctic training facility, Syracuse gets more snow than Buffalo on average, and we all know what it does in Buffalo, I-81 fogs up frequently, lake effect snow off Lake Ontario is guaranteed. And a border crossing, although a relatively easy one. And he'd have to cross this bridge in all this weather:

Thousand Island Bridge

I've driven this in pieces and it is one of my least favorite drives.

Start with basic AP.

If that doesn’t work for you, try the FSD subscription for a month to see if that gets you closer to what you want.

I have FSD but mainly just use basic AP on the highway.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Thank you for all the replies. I just talked to the hiring manager, he agrees that I can drive to Binghamton on Monday (arrive around noon), and rent a room in Binghamton, stay till Thursday noon, and drive back to canada to do the remote work on Friday. So basically,
Monday morning: Drive from Kingston to Binghamton 200 miles.
Tuesday: stay in Binghamton
Wednesday: Stay in Binghamton,
Thursday afternoon: drive back to canada
Friday: remote work in Canada
Saturday: in candada
Sunday: in canada

So, basically, two drives each week. 4 days in Binghamton, 3 days in Canada.

Is this sustainable? any comments?

Reactions: GSP and XPsionic
Thank you for all the replies. I just talked to the hiring manager, he agrees that I can drive to Binghamton on Monday (arrive around noon), and rent a room in Binghamton, stay till Thursday noon, and drive back to canada to do the remote work on Friday.

So basically,

So, basically, two drives each week. Each drive 200 miles. 4 days in Binghamton, 3 days in Canada.

Reactions: XPsionic
It is sustainable, but you know it will suck in winter. AP is good enough, did thousands of miles on AP. I rented FSD and almost no benefit for me.

Tesla makes it an easier commute but I'd probably just buy a Prius Prime for that commute. AWD as well and better in the winter for efficiency.

I used to do 375 miles on Monday, back on Thursday for a year. Then I moved and drove 1100 miles every weekend (one way) while moving and did that for 6 months in a Ram truck while towing a trailer.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and XPsionic
Thank you for all the replies. I just talked to the hiring manager, he agrees that I can drive to Binghamton on Monday (arrive around noon), and rent a room in Binghamton, stay till Thursday noon, and drive back to canada to do the remote work on Friday. So basically,

So, basically, two drives each week. 4 days in Binghamton, 3 days in Canada.

Obviously better, and 3 nights in a hotel every week is fine for a season. It's very difficult for longer - I did it for an 18 month stretch very early in my career before I was married (actually while we were planning the wedding) but I don't think this is sustainable for much longer than that. It caused a lot of problems in my relationship with my very-understanding wife. It will drive you to develop two separate worlds - one at home and one during the days and evenings you're away. After awhile you'll develop some friendships away because nights in a hotel room alone are very lonely. For even the most communicative person, It's hard to describe the daily happenings with those unknown relationships to your wife. Knowing what I do now, if I had it to do over again, I would not do it. I still see this as a bad mid-to-long-term plan.

Reactions: GSP
It is sustainable, but you know it will suck in winter. AP is good enough, did thousands of miles on AP. I rented FSD and almost no benefit for me.

Tesla makes it an easier commute but I'd probably just buy a Prius Prime for that commute. AWD as well and better in the winter for efficiency.

I used to do 375 miles on Monday, back on Thursday for a year. Then I moved and drove 1100 miles every weekend (one way) while moving and did that for 6 months in a Ram truck while towing a trailer.
"I used to do 375 miles on Monday, back on Thursday for a year. " How did you feel in that one year? Too much drive? tired? or it's ok? do you think it's sustainable for 20 more years? I may end up at the new job till retirement,

That is a good point, so, there is a risk of some relationship. I'm not very young, already close to 40, maybe less risk.
Obviously better, and 3 nights in a hotel every week is fine for a season. It's very difficult for longer - I did it for an 18 month stretch very early in my career before I was married (actually while we were planning the wedding) but I don't think this is sustainable for much longer than that. It caused a lot of problems in my relationship with my very-understanding wife. It will drive you to develop two separate worlds - one at home and one during the days and evenings you're away. After awhile you'll develop some friendships away because nights in a hotel room alone are very lonely. For even the most communicative person, It's hard to describe the daily happenings with those unknown relationships to your wife. Knowing what I do now, if I had it to do over again, I would not do it. I still see this as a bad mid-to-long-term plan.