Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3 with French motorway tag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey wonderful people.
There are a few entries about the emovis tag for the French motorways, but I just need to quickly check before I head off to France....

They say that the tag should be attached to the shaded/dotted part of the windscreen next to the mirror. OLDER cars don't have that shaded part as their windows are not athermic.
I thought all new cars nowadays have athermic windows?! So, where is the uncoated part for the tag, or does the M3 have uncoated windows in general?

I can't answer the question re French tags, but I have a tag for the M6 Toll, which IIRC also instructs you to place it in the shaded area. I just placed it as normal for any other car (immediately to the right of the rear view mirror) and it's not given me any problems.

Hey wonderful people.
There are a few entries about the emovis tag for the French motorways, but I just need to quickly check before I head off to France....

They say that the tag should be attached to the shaded/dotted part of the windscreen next to the mirror. OLDER cars don't have that shaded part as their windows are not athermic.
I thought all new cars nowadays have athermic windows?! So, where is the uncoated part for the tag, or does the M3 have uncoated windows in general?
Let me know how you get on, I need to mount my tag for a French trip in July too :)

I drive to France once a year ... have often through about a toll tag but never done it. Half a dozen, at most, stops (each way) at the toll to flash a credit card ... not a big deal (from my perspective). But maybe I'm missing the point?

If I was on my own I'd want one, and sometimes I have to wake my passenger for toll-duty ...

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I live in France and have a badge (as it's called here) attached to the top of my screen next to the mirror, not on a shaded bit - although my wife has hers on the dotted part. We've used them like that for nine years without any problem.
A lot of French drivers don't mount it - they just hold it up to the window. The readers are normally to the left of the péage barrier. Most are on a pole and square - as long as the badge points in that general direction it will work.

I live in France and have a badge (as it's called here) attached to the top of my screen next to the mirror, not on a shaded bit - although my wife has hers on the dotted part. We've used them like that for nine years without any problem.
A lot of French drivers don't mount it - they just hold it up to the window. The readers are normally to the left of the péage barrier. Most are on a pole and square - as long as the badge points in that general direction it will work.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I recall, from 2005 when you needed to go and buy them in person, that placing them behind the shaded part of the windscreen was for security reasons to hide them from an opportunist thief spotting them rather than a technical reason.

It amazes me how many French people get in peage queues on busy days for the small price of a badge. Such a bonus to have one.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I recall, from 2005 when you needed to go and buy them in person, that placing them behind the shaded part of the windscreen was for security reasons to hide them from an opportunist thief spotting them rather than a technical reason.
You've got me there, I hadn't heard of that one. I took a look at some French forums to see if the subject was discussed - it was with gusto in 2006-2009. Thermal windscreens, blocked radio transmissions, they all played their part in determining where was best to stick them over what seems like hundreds of posts :eek:

I think they're so common now, they don't bear discussion anymore....

It amazes me how many French people get in peage queues on busy days for the small price of a badge. Such a bonus to have one.
Long may it continue...so I can breeze through :D

I could be wrong, but the dotted or shaded part of the windscreen is free of the filaments for a heated screen. The tags don't work quite so well behind these filaments. As the Tesla doesn't have them, you can put the tag anywhere... however, high up and favouring the left hand side will work best.