TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Modeling cargo box in EV Trip Planner

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Wuggado?, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Has anyone ever attempted to model a cargo box in EV Trip Planner? It seems to me best approach would be to add additional wind to the equation. The question would be how much wind to add. I just picked up a Thule Motion XT XL Limited (new to the market) which is supposed to be more aerodynamic than all their older boxes.

I was thinking of going with +15 mph, but would love to hear thoughts on whether that is too much or not enough.

Thanks!

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

On ABetterRoutePlanner.com, you can indicate the Wh/mile. If you do a test ride at 65 mph, you could see the consumption and then plug that number in on the site.

3. Marcboy

Marcboy Member

My non scientific test showed me this summer that a Yakima skybox 16 was adding 15% more consumption on the battery. I have a 60, so it was adding some anxiety. Highway speed, no speeding.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

with no headwinds depending on the profile of your box you should probably deduct 15-25% of your range if driving at the legal highway speeds, reduce your usable range more if climatic conditions are unfavorable.

5. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Thanks for the idea. I have yet to take a multi-charge trip, so I don't have practical experience with either planner, but the concern I have with ABetterRoutePlanner is it doesn't seem to take into account variables that would affect range such as wind, payload, cabin temp, and outside temp. I definitely don't have enough experience with the car to take all those variables into account myself and predict the Wh/mile.

6. Wuggado?

Wuggado? Member

Thanks for all the previous ideas. Wanting to have some way to model a cargo box nicely within EV Trip Planner (so the multiple stops are all accounted for with each other stop in mind), here's how I decided to go about it:
    • Do a range test, with and without the cargo box, on a 40 mile round trip, one right after the other so the conditions were as close to the same as possible.
      • Speed +9 freeway/+5 city
      • Outside temp - 64 degrees F
      • Cabin temp - off
      • Wind - calm
    • Result was 21% more kWh used with the cargo box
    • Played with headwind in EV Trip Planner until kWh used was 21% more. This was done for several distinct segments of a multi-day journey and using an 18MPH headwind pretty consistently showed around a 21% range hit.
    I will use this on the actual journey in a couple of weeks and try to remember to report back how it went.

BTW, yes I realize that varying different aspects of the journey (such as actual wind speed, outside temp, speed, etc) could yield a different range hit, but I just didn't have the time or patience (or control of some of the variables), to gather data points for all possibilities. I will probably bump the wind speed up to 20MPH just to give a margin for error.