Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Models 3 & Y Gen 4 ECU (necessary for CCS Capability)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
  1. I do not (yet) have this part.
  2. I do not need it.
  3. It is (as of this post date) still available from a local auto dismantler. (Could be sold anytime.) UPDATE: It was sold.
  4. Part # 1537264-00-B. It's the Gen 4 ECU that people with ~06/21-10/21 Models 3 & Y with buggered Gen 4 ECUs need to retrieve CCS capability, I believe? My understanding is that it's "plug-and-play" (or close to it) for those cars (but not for earlier, pre-2020 cars with Gen 3 ECUs).
  5. Used, from a 2021 Model Y. (I cannot guarantee anything about the part or the source, but the claim is that it works OK and it is apparently a genuine auto parts business near me.)
  6. They are asking $255 (so they must know it is sought after). Perhaps will accept less? Update: They accepted $240.

7. Note: My understanding is that these can be ordered (delivery perhaps delayed?) from Tesla Service Centers for less? (~$150?) So everyone should try that avenue first.
  8. A used one like this would only be for someone with the right car who for whatever reason can't get one from Tesla, I guess.

9. If interested let me know your situation, and I can try to buy it and/or pass on the contact info.
I'd like to see this go to someone in need--not to someone who can easily get one from a Tesla SC. (Hopefully no one does need it, and everyone can get a new one directly from Tesla.)

If interested, please PM (private message) me.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 4.02.34 PM.png

I heard from my Tesla SC that they don’t have a solution for my MYP Sep 2021 yet and moved my appt date out about a month. Will let you all know what i hear.
If you can get the part, you can swap it yourself. It takes about 30 minutes.

Though you do have to either have an update pending, or get the vehicle into service mode, so you can update the software. (car will not drive or charge until it rectifiés the hardware/software discrepancy)

If you can get the part, you can swap it yourself. It takes about 30 minutes.

Though you do have to either have an update pending, or get the vehicle into service mode, so you can update the software. (car will not drive or charge until it rectifiés the hardware/software discrepancy)
The part shown above was to address an earlier generation of Model 3/Y from 2018. Do you know the part number required to update the 2021 Sept (refresh) model Y?

I believe that Part Number 1537264-00-B from Original Post #1 above is the correct Gen 4 ECU for 2021 cars that have (or want to have) CCS compatibility. This is the part that people are trying to order from Tesla or buy on eBay. See Post #2.

If a (after February) 2021 Model 3 or Y lacks CCS capability, it was probably manufactured from 6/21-10/21 and outfitted with Part # 1537264-80-B, which lacks a key chip or something.

For 2021 cars I read that it is a relatively simple swap (1537264-00-B replacing 1537264-80-B) plus software update to add CCS compatibility.

Other ECUs were manufactured; for example, the Gen 3 Part #1092755-98-D for older North American Model 3s.

The CCS status can be fixed for those cars (see this), also, but besides the correct ECU it takes the "bundle of wires" and more DIY skills.

Research this carefully before purchasing or doing any work.

The part shown above was to address an earlier generation of Model 3/Y from 2018. Do you know the part number required to update the 2021 Sept (refresh) model Y?

If you have a 2021 Model Y, and it shows in the "additional information" as Not Supported, then you have a stripped ECU, and just need to do the ECU swap, it's the same part, Gen4 Charge port ECU, 1537264-00-B

in your case, all you'll have to do is replace the ECU you have, with the new ECU, do a software update, and you'll be all good to go.

EDIT: You must already have a pending update waiting, OR put your car into service mode, BEFORE switching the ECU.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-30 180449.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-30 180449.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 362
  • CP mismatch.png
    CP mismatch.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Reactions: gigawhat?
I have applied for service for Gen 4 ECU upgrade and am waiting for the reserved date. (for Model Y July, 2021) I don't know if I can get this service from them. Has anyone ever had an ECU upgrade at a service center?

Interesting. I have only read that people are sometimes able to order the ECU with correct CCS-capable chip(s) (Tesla Part # 1537264-00-B) from sales/service, not that they could have it installed.

Please keep us informed of how things turn out for you.

*****​

Concerning the ability of North American cars to use a Tesla CCS adapter, for Models 3 & Y there seem to be at least three scenarios:
  1. "Newer" (early 2020 and later) cars with "correct" Generation 4 ECU (# 1537264-00-B). CCS-enabled and no retrofit required. Ready to use Tesla CCS1 adapter.

2. Newer cars with "stripped" Gen 4 ECU (# 1537264-80-B). CCS disabled. Retrofit (relatively simple ECU swap + car software update) required.

3. "Older" (pre-2020) cars with Generation 3 ECU (e.g., # 1092755-98-D). Not CCS-capable. Retrofit (ECU swap, wiring modification, software update) required.

Last edited: