Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ModelS wont supercharge following CCS2 upgrade by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few months ago my brother R hit a wombat on the freeway from Wollongong to Waterfall and damaged the front of his 75D. During the repair he decided to get the CCS2 upgrade so he could use the latest SCs. There is going to be one near his home at Gymea. He was happy with the repairs but couldnt get the SC at Silos to work. On tackling Tesla they said there was something wrong with the charging equipment on the car and quoted $3800 to fix it. The car was SCing before the accident and is about 4 years old with about 80k miles. Since there is probably only switchgear in the car involved with DC charging I suspect Tesla's demand to be excessive unless the accident caused some damage. The car was drivable after the accident but the aircon was not functioning. Any thoughts?

A few months ago my brother R hit a wombat on the freeway from Wollongong to Waterfall and damaged the front of his 75D. During the repair he decided to get the CCS2 upgrade so he could use the latest SCs. There is going to be one near his home at Gymea. He was happy with the repairs but couldnt get the SC at Silos to work. On tackling Tesla they said there was something wrong with the charging equipment on the car and quoted $3800 to fix it. The car was SCing before the accident and is about 4 years old with about 80k miles. Since there is probably only switchgear in the car involved with DC charging I suspect Tesla's demand to be excessive unless the accident caused some damage. The car was drivable after the accident but the aircon was not functioning. Any thoughts?
My understanding is that Model S warranty is for 4 years plus an additional 4 years on the drivetrain. The DC charging component also failed on my car, but within the 4 year warranty period and they replaced the primary charger As my 2014 Model S has the twin charger system. Your 2018 would have the later single charger and they likely are charging you for the complete charging unit, I would push them to see if the DC charging component can be replaced separately.

My understanding is that the on-board charger is AC. When DC charging the traction battery is connected to the supercharger or other highpower charger and control of volts & current is effected from that source. This of course requires a handshake between the two by the aux pins and allocation by switchgear of correct pins to DC charging. My brother's view is that Tesla made a mistake with their CCS2 work & not having a supercharger to test it could not verify their work was good and the fault was only revealed when R tried to charge at a SC. I think Tesla are past masters at getting you to pay for warranty work when they think they can get away with it. My next EV will not be a Tesla. I will keep my ModelS but not use it much. Prob get a Hyundai of some sought. Considered I Pace but they have their own problems and are a bit heavy on the juice

If it was the first attempt at DC charging after the CCS2 upgrade, that does rather suggest the upgrade might be involved. Even if the car itself is out of warranty, the upgrade work itself has at least the statutory warranty.

Reactions: paulp
Sounds to me like regardless of what the cause is, Tesla should be fixing this out of good will as the exact cause is not clear. You can pull the ACCC view that what a reasonable person would expect etc.

Tesla really does have a weird warranty in Australia... I mean 4yrs/80km is really sad coverage for a car that Tesla like to say is the best in the world. 5 years unlimited on the complete car is basically what EVERYONE is offering, I think BMW is the only one left on 3 years, and even that is unlimited. At the current prices of Model 3's 2nd hand, you are probably better of getting a new one every couple of years. The depreciation loss is pretty much the same as keeping it longer. When you think that Kia offered 7 years unlimted to bolster confidence in the brand but has actually kept that now that most rational people would trust that they are decent cars.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like regardless of what the cause is, Tesla should be fixing this out of good will as the exact cause is not clear. You can pull the ACCC view that what a reasonable person would expect etc.

Tesla really does have a weird warranty in Australia... I mean 4yrs/80km is really sad coverage for a car that Tesla like to say is the best in the world. 5 years unlimited on the complete car is basically what EVERYONE is offering, I think BMW is the only one left on 3 years, and even that is unlimited. At the current prices of Model 3's 2nd hand, you are probably better of getting a new one every couple of years. The depreciation loss is pretty much the same as keeping it longer. When you think that Kia offered 7 years unlimted to bolster confidence in the brand but has actually kept that now that most rational people would trust that they are decent cars.
Tesla arent a charity. I agree with Cafz. I’d be going down the path that the upgrade is the issue and ask them to put the old one back in to prove it. Thats assuming it worked of course. My 2018 75d is 4 years warranty with 8 years battery and drivetrain.
ACCC really dont give any concern for one off warranty cases where a reasonable length warranty is given. Tesla would know that by now. Essentially with a split warranty the consumer should be very aware that tesla are suggesting earlier failures.

Tesla arent a charity. I agree with Cafz. I’d be going down the path that the upgrade is the issue and ask them to put the old one back in to prove it. Thats assuming it worked of course. My 2018 75d is 4 years warranty with 8 years battery and drivetrain.
ACCC really dont give any concern for one off warranty cases where a reasonable length warranty is given. Tesla would know that by now. Essentially with a split warranty the consumer should be very aware that tesla are suggesting earlier failures.

I know the ACCC doesn't care, buts its worth using if you don't get your way. Call me a tight arse if you like, but Tesla does promote how reliable their cars are, and telling you to stick it is not good customer service. Anyway, I agree that its probably a fault with the upgrade and the problem will likely be resolved with a satisfactory outcome.

I somewhat agree with the split warranty might be interpreted that the car could be seen to have failures after the first 4 years, but is that really an excuse for poor engineering? I think Tesla, especially with thier limited model lineup should be well beyond silly failures by this stage. They should back themselves with an unlimited 5 year bumper to bumper warranty.