Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ModelX heading out of warranty - any tips or suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find any direct references..

Like most early adopters of the ModelX in Australia mine will be out of the 4 year 80k warranty in a few weeks. Any tips or suggestions from older ModelS owners who have trodden this path?

A couple of questions;
1. What happens to Tesla roadside assistance? Can you purchase an extension to this as the small print says it will end when the warranty does.
2. I have a request for quote in to Marsh for extended warranty, is this likely to be a cost effective option in people’s opinion? It usually isn’t for white goods and normal cars...

I have my car booked in for a service in a couple of weeks, so will be getting the eMMC issue and a few others dealt with then, just trying to make sure I am prepared as I sail into the unknown.

Cheers forum friends..

...1. What happens to Tesla roadside assistance? Can you purchase an extension to this as the small print says it will end when the warranty does...

It will transition to and be covered with Extended Service Agreement if you bought it.

If you don't have Extended Service Agreement or standard new car warrant then Roadside Assistance will cost you extra with each service.

...It usually isn’t for white goods and normal cars...

I wouldn't call Tesla products "normal". They are new which can be "beta" or not on the market that long to be durable enough.

eMMC issue is an example that we thought should never happen but it does.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn’t find any direct references..

Like most early adopters of the ModelX in Australia mine will be out of the 4 year 80k warranty in a few weeks. Any tips or suggestions from older ModelS owners who have trodden this path?

A couple of questions;
1. What happens to Tesla roadside assistance? Can you purchase an extension to this as the small print says it will end when the warranty does.
2. I have a request for quote in to Marsh for extended warranty, is this likely to be a cost effective option in people’s opinion? It usually isn’t for white goods and normal cars...

I have my car booked in for a service in a couple of weeks, so will be getting the eMMC issue and a few others dealt with then, just trying to make sure I am prepared as I sail into the unknown.

Cheers forum friends..
My tip......sell it and get a new one

Reactions: msm859
The NRMA has or had a service where they will inspect your car just before it goes out of warranty. They provide a report on what you should have addressed by the manufacturer

not sure if this is still a thing.

A couple of questions;

Cheers forum friends..

My wife’s car also about to come out of warranty. Is the eMMC replacement a “no questions asked” agreed thing?

The eMMC warranty replacement is separate from the regular warranty.

You have to be experiencing issues, but if you are I would suggest it is a no questions asked thing. Here is the text from the email I received..

(Full details and FAQ here https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/warranty-adjustment-program. )

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S or Model X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no‑cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Centre for 8 years/160k km from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

Last edited:
The eMMC warranty replacement is separate from the regular warranty.

You have to be experiencing issues, but if you are I would suggest it is a no questions asked thing. Here is the text from the email I received..

(Full details and FAQ here https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/warranty-adjustment-program. )

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S or Model X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no‑cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Centre for 8 years/160k km from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.

Very helpful. Thanks.

I've got MX2017 (75D).
Extended warranty quoted me:
$3860 for 2 years (24 Months / 120,000 kms) or $7035 for 4 years (48 Months / 160,000 kms)
Not sure yet I'm gonna use it.... a bit more expensive than I hoped

I've got MX2017 (75D).
$3860 for 2 years (24 Months / 120,000 kms) or $7035 for 4 years (48 Months / 160,000 kms)
My previous German ICE cost $1k / yr to extend the warranty so yep this seems expensive.

Given the crazy demand for used cars in general and the popularity of Teslas, now is a good time to sell and buy new again.

I've got MX2017 (75D).
Thanks @dmitrii.Z that’s good intel. I am still waiting on the quote to come back. Do you know if the warranty follows the car to a new owner? If so that might be a reason to buy it if you are planning on selling during the term, much easier to sell a car that is under warranty

My 2014 Model S had a problem with the Bluetooth module back in late November, so I rang Tesla and they resolved the problem remotely.
They then contacted me to say the Bluetooth module needed a firmware update to be done at Alexandria at a cost of $60.00 so I booked it in for today.
In early December I noted a thump coming from the back of the car so I logged into the app and added a Squeak/rattle issue to the existing appointment. The thump became a click noise, mainly as I accelerated from a stop, over the last few weeks so have been driving like a grandmother to prevent breaking anything that was coming loose.
When I arrived this morning they confirmed the $60.00 charge and said it would be $120 ‘plus tax’ for the diagnostic fee. One of the mechanics came for a ride in the back whilst I drove and the first time I accelerated it made the click noise and he said, yes that’s probably loose drive shaft bolts, so I did a U turn and we were back in under a minute.
It turned out that he was exactly right and they removed, re-greased and reinstalled the RH rear drive shaft.
Total bill for everything was $176.90 which was mainly labour plus a special nut and washer.
So long as you don’t need to replace anything the service fees are pretty reasonable. Last year they thought a rattle on the front was a lower control arm issue and quoted circa $1500 for it, but in the end it was just loose brake pads that was resolved with copper grease on the back.
So just my recent experience with a car out of warranty, but of course there is still a drivetrain warranty until it’s 8 years old.

My 2014 Model S had a problem with the Bluetooth module back in late November, so I rang Tesla and they resolved the problem remotely.
They then contacted me to say the Bluetooth module needed a firmware update to be done at Alexandria at a cost of $60.00 so I booked it in for today.
In early December I noted a thump coming from the back of the car so I logged into the app and added a Squeak/rattle issue to the existing appointment. The thump became a click noise, mainly as I accelerated from a stop, over the last few weeks so have been driving like a grandmother to prevent breaking anything that was coming loose.
When I arrived this morning they confirmed the $60.00 charge and said it would be $120 ‘plus tax’ for the diagnostic fee. One of the mechanics came for a ride in the back whilst I drove and the first time I accelerated it made the click noise and he said, yes that’s probably loose drive shaft bolts, so I did a U turn and we were back in under a minute.
It turned out that he was exactly right and they removed, re-greased and reinstalled the RH rear drive shaft.
Total bill for everything was $176.90 which was mainly labour plus a special nut and washer.
So long as you don’t need to replace anything the service fees are pretty reasonable. Last year they thought a rattle on the front was a lower control arm issue and quoted circa $1500 for it, but in the end it was just loose brake pads that was resolved with copper grease on the back.
So just my recent experience with a car out of warranty, but of course there is still a drivetrain warranty until it’s 8 years old.
Is the drive shaft not part of the drive train?

Yes, that is under consideration. I have the guaranteed buy back option which I could take advantage of..
`
If it is about to go out of warranty (like mine) it sounds like you were one of the unfortunate souls who bought the car at the peak of Tesla pricing. My Model X P100D was north of $300k drive away. If you have a guaranteed buy back deal the price you get to hand it back is likely to be substantially higher than the market value of the car. The constant reductions in new retail pricing by Tesla have absolutely decimated the retained value of the older used cars. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to go for a guaranteed buy back; but if I did I would hand the car back, take the money and run.

Would I buy another as a replacement? I'd really, really love to say no as I think Tesla as a company sucks and I absolutely detest the "no service" model that Tesla has devolved to. Unfortunately they still make the best EV's available when you consider the entire product ecosystem and I'm not sure anyone else will catch up anytime soon. So I'm reluctantly forced to say that I would probably replace it with another Tesla of some description.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj