TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ModelX Interior lighting

Discussion in 'Model X' started by aagosh, May 27, 2019.

1. aagosh

aagosh Member

I find my Model X interior lighting to be suboptimal especially in dark garage or in open spots in the night. Especially the area of mobile charger and boot well are hard to operate under such a low lighting.

I have bought a couple of Osram LED lights and fixed them at the following places. Thought it may be useful for others who noticed the problem as well. Also looking forward to hearing feedback if there are some other suggestions

OSRAM LED LUMIstixx
    OSRAM Dot it

Attached Files:

• Funny x 1
  2. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Aagosh,

Many in USA use Abstract Ocean replacement LEDs.
    A full set is 12 or 13 pieces, including the red ones on the doors.
    They also sell a tool that helps remove the old lights.
    I installed them everywhere and I am happy with them...

They ship internationally...

Shawn

• Like x 3
  3. aagosh

aagosh Member

Thank you @ShawnA gonna hive it a try!

4. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

I used AO replacement LEDs in both my cars. It makes an incredible difference.

5. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Do the AO replacements look cheesy ? Do you use ultra brights or regular? Anyone have feedback on the puddle lights?

I'm always a bit weary of aftermarket stuff.... very frequently I find it doesn't look as good.... would love to hear some feedback from some OCD folks.

6. MasterT

MasterT Member

No, AO dont look cheesy at all - from the outside they are indistinguishable from the OEM, they are slightly larger in size but swapping them instead of OEM was very easy. Yes, they are bright. Puddle lights work great too - obviously not visible during the day, but at night bright and sharp

7. New123

New123 Member

I used AO ultra bright LED and it was so much better. Also, I used T puddle lights and they were super nice.

8. jlv1

jlv1 Twice as much fun

9. GalaxySurfer

GalaxySurfer Life, The Universe and Everything.

Indeed, abstract ocean. Ive bought the light upgrade then opted for colors.

My one complaint, purple doesnt look purple its white.. only the bulb itself looks purple. (I use it in the trunk)

You might also wanna check out tesla-lights.net
    I got my front/rear lighted t logo from there

10. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Member

Just replaced the trunk light with AO LED. Very happy with the upgrade!

11. Brian's ReX

Brian's ReX Member

LOVE my AO lights! Got the super bright replacements, and the red light in the front doors made a HUGE difference! I wish I would have taken a picture, but when I replaced one side, I opened both doors and stood behind the car. The AO replacement was so much brighter! (I was actually surprised at how 'dim' the Tesla OEM lights were!)

I, too, opted for the 'purple' footwell lights. I noted they look almost white most of the time, with the exception of when it's pitch-black dark outside... then you'll kinda see the purple tint. The blue looked just TOO blue on the website, but maybe they would be a nicer look. I may replace the purple with blue and see.

I went with the "X" puddle lights. They look amazing! They also are mostly visible during daylight with the exception of when it's in direct sunlight.

Overall, I'm so glad I got these! Oh, and they are super easy to swap out. Literally "plug and play".

12. GalaxySurfer

GalaxySurfer Life, The Universe and Everything.

The blue lights are indeed very blue.

13. Daisame

Daisame Member

I am replacing all my lights with Abstract Ocean brights.

Using Blue for the foot-well lights, and white for everywhere else, except the door red lights and then using the "X" puddle lights. I have the lights now, picking up my new Model X tomorrow. Detailer will put in all my lights, so after I get it back, I can see how they will all look, but think they will be great.

• Like x 1
  14. G2019

G2019 Member

Can someone please post some photos?

Also, kindly share the link to the product. Thank you

15. lakemirror

lakemirror Member

LMGTFY

16. G2019

G2019 Member

How much energy does this product draw vs OEM?

• Funny x 1
  17. Daisame

Daisame Member

Considering your foot-well and other lights do not remain illuminated very long, even if they were triple the draw, the difference would probably be nearly impossible to measure in real world use.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. lynnpt2001

lynnpt2001 Cookie Monster MX & M3

$ 100K car and one of the first things one must do is spend $ 150.00 replacing the interior lights because they are too dim. Anyone else see an issue with this?

19. Daisame

Daisame Member

None at all. They are not "too dim". They are just not as bright as some people want them. Many people like to customize their cars. If they were brighter, there would be people buying dim versions just because they don't want brighter lights. I also wanted different colors in the foot-well. Now, there are some cars, that have RGB lighting in the car and it is configurable, which is a very nice option. Maybe future Teslas will have that, but I am not pissed this one does not. I am just hoping as the brand grows, they have more options to personalize the car. :p

• Like x 1
  20. MasterT

MasterT Member

No.
    The OEM is adequate and, from my experience, in line with other car makers - it's just some want something brighter. I've replaced interior lights in my previous GLs but my wife is happy with the lights in her MBs - to each their own.

• Like x 1