Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modely Y LR7 vs Performance and general "Is this is a good idea?" Help :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. So I've just moved to Wisconsin from Europe and was originally planning to buy something big car wise like you can do in the USA, but also something big to help get through the snowy winter months we have here. Was looking at a Jeep for example, but realised that wouldn't be comfortable as a daily driver, and not much room to accommodate 2 kids.

So anyway I decided to order a Tesla Model Y. On Feb 19 I went online and saw that the Y LR 7 seater was a April - June delivery but a performance was March - April. Like many other people in this situation that I've read about, I decided to order a black exterior black interior Performance. Looks really nice and I was happy when yesterday they said delivery available on March 27th.

I was checking the existing Inventory daily as cars come and go it seems every hour. Last night I saw one in the exact spec I was originally looking for. Black/black 7 seater. I quickly paid the 250usd, and now have 2 Tesla"s on order....

Here's my concerns and where my brain is thinking about everything too much.
I thought the 7 seater would be handy for when we have visitors from abroad and I can put my 2 kids aged 1 and 4 in the extra rear seats, and have friends using the middle row. I imagine this would be super useful but perhaps only used a handful of times throughout the year.

The performance doesn't offer such options, but when I see how the performance looks, being lowered and bigger wheels, which I love, it makes me question whether I really need the 7 seats and marginally better range. They're both priced at 62k.

Obviously the handling in the snow is a big question. Am I completely stupid to get a Tesla in Wisconsin where it snows a lot over winter? Obviously I'd buy good snow tyres but is it still stupid of me?

Another issue is the supposedly soon to be released HW4. I would hate to spend 62k and then a month later all Model Y"s get an upgrade. Obviously no one knows when that will be released, but I'm hoping we get more insight on March 1st at the Tesla event.

I'm sure people have been in similar situations and thought they might be able to shed some light or help me lean one way or the other.

Big thanks and sorry for boring you with such a long post.

Sounds like you will regret not getting the MYP. Go for it...I sort of regret not getting it as I swapped for full winters off of my stock AS tires anyways (and I rarely see snow) so I could have done the same and ran the sporty 21" throughout the spring, summer, fall. Now that the MYP has track mode where I could tweak winter handling I'd be even more inclined to go MYP.

I could make use of a 7 seater once or twice a year also but I can work around that (I went 5 seater LR anyways). Sounds like you can work around that also. Heck, just rent a 3rd row SUV when you have visitors or deal with driving 2 cars when they are visiting.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi. So I've just moved to Wisconsin from Europe and was originally planning to buy something big car wise like you can do in the USA, but also something big to help get through the snowy winter months we have here. Was looking at a Jeep for example, but realised that wouldn't be comfortable as a daily driver, and not much room to accommodate 2 kids.

So anyway I decided to order a Tesla Model Y. On Feb 19 I went online and saw that the Y LR 7 seater was a April - June delivery but a performance was March - April. Like many other people in this situation that I've read about, I decided to order a black exterior black interior Performance. Looks really nice and I was happy when yesterday they said delivery available on March 27th.

I was checking the existing Inventory daily as cars come and go it seems every hour. Last night I saw one in the exact spec I was originally looking for. Black/black 7 seater. I quickly paid the 250usd, and now have 2 Tesla"s on order....

I thought the 7 seater would be handy for when we have visitors from abroad and I can put my 2 kids aged 1 and 4 in the extra rear seats, and have friends using the middle row. I imagine this would be super useful but perhaps only used a handful of times throughout the year.

The performance doesn't offer such options, but when I see how the performance looks, being lowered and bigger wheels, which I love, it makes me question whether I really need the 7 seats and marginally better range. They're both priced at 62k.

Obviously the handling in the snow is a big question. Am I completely stupid to get a Tesla in Wisconsin where it snows a lot over winter? Obviously I'd buy good snow tyres but is it still stupid of me?

Another issue is the supposedly soon to be released HW4. I would hate to spend 62k and then a month later all Model Y"s get an upgrade. Obviously no one knows when that will be released, but I'm hoping we get more insight on March 1st at the Tesla event.

I'm sure people have been in similar situations and thought they might be able to shed some light or help me lean one way or the other.

Welcome to Wisconsin! What part of the state are you in?

I live north of Milwaukee and am on my second model Y. I drive about 2000 miles per month, mainly to Madison and back for work. I have not had issues with the snow, but I don’t use the stock 19” tires. The performance comes with Michelin all season tires that do better in the snow.

Southern Wisconsin really doesn’t get that much snow any more. I say that as I write this from our cabin in northern Wisconsin where there is more than 2’ of snow on the ground.

Parts of the state don’t have great charging infrastructure (SW WI and Northern WI), but the urban areas and the interstate corridors besides HWY 53 have super chargers on them.

I live in MN and have MYP. We got the MYP to ensure delivery in DEC for the incentives then. And, our kids are older so didn’t need 3rd row.

Honestly, the MYP is a little more responsive when starting out and ultimately faster overall, but the LR is no slouch. The LR is not a slow car by any means.

I have to keep P is chill mode when roads are snowy/icy to avoid slipping/ sliding all over the place. And this is with winter tires. Also, chill mode helps ensure winter tires last more than one season. You wont have to think about any of this in LR.

Remember, you are buying a utility vehicle to transport your family, kids, relatives, and kids friends around so 3rd will come in handy from time to time. We bought a Honda pilot in 2010 for that reason when kids were young.

What you have to think about is the quality of the roads here. Let’s face it, they suck most of the year. The LR with the 19’s is the way to go for best ride. The ride will be a more important factor daily than the added responsiveness of the P, believe me. And tires will be less expensive.

Also, at purchase, LR less expensive and has more range.

The P is fast, but the ride is not super stable in comparison to a M3P for instance. When I use the power, the ride is not up to the task to support the power at least not on our shitty roads. Read the Car and Driver review of the MYP to find out more about this.

If you want performance, get second Tesla eventually: M3P after the refresh and HW upgrades. At least that’s my plan.

The question about HW4 is an entirely different matter. No one knows when this will be in MYs and everyone is waiting for 3-1 update. My guess is it will be in your LR by the time you take delivery APR-JUN.

If you are concerned about HW4 upgrade, don't be! Have you considered possibly selling MY Performance in the near future if there's Model Y upgrade?
With current $7,500 tax credit you'll come out ahead and possibly able to sell MYP for the same price you paid for minus $7500!
If you do the math, car price+destination charge+tax+registration fee+loan interest+accessories+etc minus $7,500, you'll be surprised to find out that to break even on your MYP, you'll have to sell it for around $58K~$60K. I think MYP will hold its value and it's possible future MY with HW4 might be decently priced because Tesla is manufacturing these MYs like crazy. Eventually, there will be surplus of Model Y available due to production ramp up. Buy MYP with tax credit while you can (unless you don't qualify for tax cred), don't worry about losing out on HW4 update, enjoy the MYP performance ride, and sell it later and go upgrade with new MY if you have to. If you are worried about winter tires, go buy 19" gemini wheels and put winter tires on the performance during winter. You won't see MY Performance at this pricing for a while

A lot of good points here. I just switched our MYP order to the LR w/ 7 seats. This is ultimately a family car so I really had to get realistic with myself and acknowledge that the wife is right.

Everyone's situation is different, but for ours here's the scenario and why going with the LR w/ 7 seats made more sense. (Please chime in, maybe there's something I'm missing.)

Prices: (As of this writing, 6-10-23)
MYP: $54,490
MYLR: $50,490 + $3K (7 seat option), makes it only a $1K difference instead of $4K.

MYP:
• Faster, but the LR is no slouch and plenty fast enough. (+$2k to Boost the LR)
• 21" Uber heavy wheels on rubber bands. (A con for us) It's the first thing to sell asap.
• Much more expensive tires.
• Harsher ride. Jarring. (Sports focused so yes of course, but not ideal for our scenario).
• Sits a tad lower. (Ride height)
• CF spoiler: >$100 online.
• Pedal covers: >$20 online.
• Track mode: Most don't even use it, let alone know how. Irrelevant for a family rig.
• Slightly higher insurance.
• Fake Brembo wannabe Rear brakes. It's just a red plastic cover now in the rear. (Cost cutting.)

MYLR:
• $4k-$1k cheaper depending on if you get the 7 seat option, currently for $3k.
• Slightly better range. (I'd argue, extremely negligible*)
• Softer suspension. The little one will be much happier in the car seat.
• Sits a tad higher (ride height). Frequent the mountains. Lots of snow. Winter.
• 7 Seat Option: Yes, not even big enough for a cat to be comfortable, but on a pinch the option is there.
• 19" Aero wheels. Swap out the aero caps to your preferred design that looks good and done.
• Cheaper tires.

Plus:
• This will be our family vehicle, not a weekend canyon carver, which is what my M3P is for.
• Both eligible for the $7500 tax credit.
• Both shipping with hw4.

The MYP is an extremely good value for a performance focused CUV and for many wanting the ~3.8* to low 4 sec sec 0-60 (real world at best) thrill you'll get your fix. (* MYP does not do 3.5 secs, that's paper specs with a 1 foot roll out.) - I've ran plenty 0-60 and 1/4 pulls in a MYP and it's realistically not that much faster than a LR, practically speaking for real world situations. Dad's you always have the option to boost your LR for $2K.

For those with kids who needs a softer ride with a 7 seater option, then the MYLR may be the most practical for you.

For those wanting that extra "push back in your seat feeling" and if the stiffer ride isn't a concern for you then an extra $4k for the MYP is a fantastic deal. There's nothing in the price range that can touch it.

So again, it all depends on your situation and needs, but had we gone with the MYP, I would have dumped the heavy dead weight wheels on rubber bands and upgrade the suspension, which then off a sudden that $4K difference would be much more into the thousands, making that delta much wider.

So that's why for us (family focused) we're going with the LR w/ 7 seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: illusion
A lot of good points here. I just switched our MYP order to the LR w/ 7 seats. This is ultimately a family car so I really had to get realistic with myself and acknowledge that the wife is right.

Everyone's situation is different, but for ours here's the scenario and why going with the LR w/ 7 seats made more sense. (Please chime in, maybe there's something I'm missing.)

Prices: (As of this writing, 6-10-23)
MYP: $54,490
MYLR: $50,490 + $3K (7 seat option), makes it only a $1K difference instead of $4K.

MYP:
• Faster, but the LR is no slouch and plenty fast enough. (+$2k to Boost the LR)
• 21" Uber heavy wheels on rubber bands. (A con for us) It's the first thing to sell asap.
• Much more expensive tires.
• Harsher ride. Jarring. (Sports focused so yes of course, but not ideal for our scenario).
• Sits a tad lower. (Ride height)
• CF spoiler: >$100 online.
• Pedal covers: >$20 online.
• Track mode: Most don't even use it, let alone know how. Irrelevant for a family rig.
• Slightly higher insurance.
• Fake Brembo wannabe Rear brakes. It's just a red plastic cover now in the rear. (Cost cutting.)

MYLR:
• $4k-$1k cheaper depending on if you get the 7 seat option, currently for $3k.
• Slightly better range. (I'd argue, extremely negligible*)
• Softer suspension. The little one will be much happier in the car seat.
• Sits a tad higher (ride height). Frequent the mountains. Lots of snow. Winter.
• 7 Seat Option: Yes, not even big enough for a cat to be comfortable, but on a pinch the option is there.
• 19" Aero wheels. Swap out the aero caps to your preferred design that looks good and done.
• Cheaper tires.

Plus:
• This will be our family vehicle, not a weekend canyon carver, which is what my M3P is for.
• Both eligible for the $7500 tax credit.
• Both shipping with hw4.

The MYP is an extremely good value for a performance focused CUV and for many wanting the ~3.8* to low 4 sec sec 0-60 (real world at best) thrill you'll get your fix. (* MYP does not do 3.5 secs, that's paper specs with a 1 foot roll out.) - I've ran plenty 0-60 and 1/4 pulls in a MYP and it's realistically not that much faster than a LR, practically speaking for real world situations. Dad's you always have the option to boost your LR for $2K.

For those with kids who needs a softer ride with a 7 seater option, then the MYLR may be the most practical for you.

For those wanting that extra "push back in your seat feeling" and if the stiffer ride isn't a concern for you then an extra $4k for the MYP is a fantastic deal. There's nothing in the price range that can touch it.

So again, it all depends on your situation and needs, but had we gone with the MYP, I would have dumped the heavy dead weight wheels on rubber bands and upgrade the suspension, which then off a sudden that $4K difference would be much more into the thousands, making that delta much wider.

So that's why for us (family focused) we're going with the LR w/ 7 seats.
Also if you want to be closer to MYP get the acceleration boost. See this comparison video on YT from Slow Asian Driver where he compares MYP with LR( AB enabled). MYP will win yes but LR does give it a good fight :) ! I also went for a LR7 as I wanted 7 seats but almost gave in to the MYP. Again wife whacked me on the head and said it is either 7 seat or nothing . I know people say that you can rent but have you seen the crazy prices for the 7 seater rental these days ? The additional money saved by not renting will go towards Acceleration boost and unbwated MY LR accessories. My wife and son both are 5 Ft 2 and they love the thrid row the best ( go figure ) . Will add a small tow hotch carrier for extra luggage if needed.

Reactions: Elektrick
Also if you want to be closer to MYP get the acceleration boost. See this comparison video on YT from Slow Asian Driver where he compares MYP with LR( AB enabled). MYP will win yes but LR does give it a good fight :) ! I also went for a LR7 as I wanted 7 seats but almost gave in to the MYP. Again wife whacked me on the head and said it is either 7 seat or nothing . I know people say that you can rent but have you seen the crazy prices for the 7 seater rental these days ? The additional money saved by not renting will go towards Acceleration boost and unbwated MY LR accessories. My wife and son both are 5 Ft 2 and they love the thrid row the best ( go figure ) . Will add a small tow hotch carrier for extra luggage if needed.

A boosted LR, at least from several M3LRs with a good launch can keep the gap consistent with a M3P, but actually the M3P runs out of steam on the top end where the boosted M3LR starts to pull better in the upper ranges. I'm not certain that this holds true for a boosted MYLR though. Either way, these cars are plenty fast enough and if you catch a M3P sleeping at the light and/or a bad driver a boosted LR could easily get in some Wins.

We are going to the service center again to look at the 7 seater up close as I'm really curious about removing the seats and retrofitting the 2nd cover for it from a 5 seater. Perhaps I'll create a dedicated post for this.

I agree, the prices to rent an EV is outrageous. That could easily go toward the Boost. 😁

A boosted LR, at least from several M3LRs with a good launch can keep the gap consistent with a M3P, but actually the M3P runs out of steam on the top end where the boosted M3LR starts to pull better in the upper ranges. I'm not certain that this holds true for a boosted MYLR though. Either way, these cars are plenty fast enough and if you catch a M3P sleeping at the light and/or a bad driver a boosted LR could easily get in some Wins.

We are going to the service center again to look at the 7 seater up close as I'm really curious about removing the seats and retrofitting the 2nd cover for it from a 5 seater. Perhaps I'll create a dedicated post for this.

I agree, the prices to rent an EV is outrageous. That could easily go toward the Boost. 😁
And for useless accessories something which I never knew existed until I joined this forum:D

Also don't forget the ghost upgrade !

• Funny
And for useless accessories something which I never knew existed until I joined this forum:D

Also don't forget the ghost upgrade !

That's funny because I stayed up for hours last night and ordered a bunch of accessories, most of which I have in my M3P. They're actually very useful and practical. - And yes the ghost upgrade, although since the car can log that, Tesla would be able to see the logs and potentially deny warranty if there was an unlikely event of a warranty claim related to the drive train. At least you could sell the module with the ghost and recoup vs being stuck with being out $2K with the boost.

I'm still in search of cup holders for the rear 2nd row seats. When the car seat is anywhere in the 2nd row, it blocks the center area to fold down so we can never use those cup holders, which are very mediocre at best. I'm looking for something maybe that can fit in bottom middle under the vent area that's sturdy enough.

On a side note, I hope the OP @The Zig can find all the info here useful as well. What did you end up getting Zig?

I'll add my $.02 to the mix. I had a MYLR7 w/boost. Keep in mind that Tesla never has quoted a 0-60 time for the 7 seater. It is definitely slower than the base MY LR. My runs put it around 5.1-5.2 for the 7 seater before boost. Honestly, it felt pretty doggy to me by comparison to every other Tesla I drove. I drove another 7 seater, same deal.

The seats can be useful, but how often will you really ever use them? Rent a car an SUV for the few times you will use them if not using them all the time. Keep in mind that there is no vents or AC back there it gets hotter/colder (choose time of year) for the people back there. Egress is not that easy. I ended up opening the hatch a lot to helicopter kids in.

Any of the current "P" cars except the Plaid is really just an acceleration boost to 60 mph. The MY LR at 4.8 seconds 0-60 doesn't feel that peppy. At least with boost, it gets closer to the M3 LR's time of 4.2 which is just about the minimum for me to enjoy the car.

I'd go for the MYP and toss the 21" wheels in an instant. Go with 19's and enjoy the car. I spent a ton of time in MN/WI and the 19's are a great compromise for the roads/weather/performance to make the car more enjoyable.

Just buy the MYP as you can never make the MYLR5 or 7 into it. Dumping the 21's will improve the ride quality. The base Y isn't that great to begin with but rolling on the 19's is a big improvement over the 21's on the MYP. I'd say the MY LR's ride isn't near as good as the M3 LR's ride either. Fortunately Mountain Pass Performance has some coilovers that will transform your 3 or Y into either a very plush commuter or backroad carver if you play with the dampening.

TL:DR; don't buy the MYLR7, just buy the MYP. Sell the 21" wheels, but 19's call it a day. If not supple enough, but MPP coilovers.

I'll add my $.02 to the mix. I had a MYLR7 w/boost. Keep in mind that Tesla never has quoted a 0-60 time for the 7 seater. It is definitely slower than the base MY LR. My runs put it around 5.1-5.2 for the 7 seater before boost. Honestly, it felt pretty doggy to me by comparison to every other Tesla I drove. I drove another 7 seater, same deal.

The seats can be useful, but how often will you really ever use them? Rent a car an SUV for the few times you will use them if not using them all the time. Keep in mind that there is no vents or AC back there it gets hotter/colder (choose time of year) for the people back there. Egress is not that easy. I ended up opening the hatch a lot to helicopter kids in.

Any of the current "P" cars except the Plaid is really just an acceleration boost to 60 mph. The MY LR at 4.8 seconds 0-60 doesn't feel that peppy. At least with boost, it gets closer to the M3 LR's time of 4.2 which is just about the minimum for me to enjoy the car.

I'd go for the MYP and toss the 21" wheels in an instant. Go with 19's and enjoy the car. I spent a ton of time in MN/WI and the 19's are a great compromise for the roads/weather/performance to make the car more enjoyable.

Just buy the MYP as you can never make the MYLR5 or 7 into it. Dumping the 21's will improve the ride quality. The base Y isn't that great to begin with but rolling on the 19's is a big improvement over the 21's on the MYP. I'd say the MY LR's ride isn't near as good as the M3 LR's ride either. Fortunately Mountain Pass Performance has some coilovers that will transform your 3 or Y into either a very plush commuter or backroad carver if you play with the dampening.

TL:DR; don't buy the MYLR7, just buy the MYP. Sell the 21" wheels, but 19's call it a day. If not supple enough, but MPP coilovers.

So with boost the performance of a LR7 should be more close to 4.5 /4.6 Seconds correct ? Good post , never thought about the additional weight of the third row seats but again given the power the car has did not know it will make that big a difference !

I agree. Just wanted to add that the MYs driving dynamic and suspension geometry is very different than the M3. ie... I've installed quite a few MPP adjustables on both the 3 and Y and the Y does not get the same ride quality, let alone driving dynamics as the 3. The 3 is much better as expected with it being much lighter among other reasons. Two very similar, yet different cars.

For those wanting a cost effective cushy'ish/better than stock ride to edge off the jitter and jolts, at stock height, going with something like the TEIN Endurance shocks is a great option. That alone will bring a lot of improvement to the harsh ride of Teslas suspension, relatively speaking. There's nothing luxury related to the 3 or Y for when it comes to ride and noise. They're the budget models after all. ie..it's not your S or X.

The MYP is fun to drive and when you put coilovers on them such as MPP, it helps, but it's not anything dramatic. The Y is definitely not a canyon carver and rightfully so as that isn't the focus of that model. It's top heavy, heavy, and designed to haul people. At best it's an awesome GT like experience to cruise and enjoy that instant torque. Even with the MYP, no you're not doing 3.5 secs... that's paper marketing jumbo with a 1 foot roll out. The real world is 3.8-low 4 seconds so it's really not that far off vs a boosted MYLR, although the gap is much less with the M3LR boosted as mentioned.

MYLR/7 has its place. It just boils down to what the needs are for the person/family buying it. For many with a family that needs the utility and extra seating for fluffy and kids, the MYP may not be the right option, where the MYLR/7 is. Is that 3rd row practical? Absolutely not, it's a joke and an after thought; however, on a pinch could it be useful to haul some extra people to get some ice cream? Yes. Like you've mentioned the 3rd row is suffocating. Make sure to provide occupants back there with a portable fan and an oxygen mask, because there is no air flow back there. It's just shy of getting shoved in a trunk. Literally.

Reactions: illusion
So with boost the performance of a LR7 should be more close to 4.5 /4.6 Seconds correct ? Good post , never thought about the additional weight of the third row seats but again given the power the car has did not know it will make that big a difference !

I'm going to definitely try removing ours and I'll weight them. The LR7 definitely will be a tad bit heavier than a LR5, but in most instances the impact that extra weight has will be negligible. After all, it's an LR and if 0-60 is of any importance to a buyer, they shouldn't even have the LR on their list and just go with the MYP. :D

I agree. Just wanted to add that the MYs driving dynamic and suspension geometry is very different than the M3. ie... I've installed quite a few MPP adjustables on both the 3 and Y and the Y does not get the same ride quality, let alone driving dynamics as the 3. The 3 is much better as expected with it being much lighter among other reasons. Two very similar, yet different cars.

For those wanting a cost effective cushy'ish/better than stock ride to edge off the jitter and jolts, at stock height, going with something like the TEIN Endurance shocks is a great option. That alone will bring a lot of improvement to the harsh ride of Teslas suspension, relatively speaking. There's nothing luxury related to the 3 or Y for when it comes to ride and noise. They're the budget models after all. ie..it's not your S or X.

The MYP is fun to drive and when you put coilovers on them such as MPP, it helps, but it's not anything dramatic. The Y is definitely not a canyon carver and rightfully so as that isn't the focus of that model. It's top heavy, heavy, and designed to haul people. At best it's an awesome GT like experience to cruise and enjoy that instant torque. Even with the MYP, no you're not doing 3.5 secs... that's paper marketing jumbo with a 1 foot roll out. The real world is 3.8-low 4 seconds so it's really not that far off vs a boosted MYLR, although the gap is much less with the M3LR boosted as mentioned.

MYLR/7 has its place. It just boils down to what the needs are for the person/family buying it. For many with a family that needs the utility and extra seating for fluffy and kids, the MYP may not be the right option, where the MYLR/7 is. Is that 3rd row practical? Absolutely not, it's a joke and an after thought; however, on a pinch could it be useful to haul some extra people to get some ice cream? Yes. Like you've mentioned the 3rd row is suffocating. Make sure to provide occupants back there with a portable fan and an oxygen mask, because there is no air flow back there. It's just shy of getting shoved in a trunk. Literally.
I read that lowering the middle seat helps. If there was an aftermarket accessory that addresses this ventilation problem that would be a good buy.

I read that lowering the middle seat helps. If there was an aftermarket accessory that addresses this ventilation problem that would be a good buy.

That could definitely help. You could sit in the 3rd row in lounge position with the 2nd row down and ride in style ha! As for any aftermarket accessories for hacks I haven't seen anything yet. If you really wanted to go DIY custom you could tap into the middle row vents and run that to the rear. If you remove the side panels there's a little room back there to work with, but not much. However, going to such lengths shouldn't be necessary on a car at this price point, but it's Tesla after all and for now since there isn't as good (mostly due to price) EV options with a 3rd row within this range, we just have to get creative.

I have a feeling that a lot of people will dump their MYLRs for when the KIA EV9 comes out. A true 3 row SUV at the same price point, much better built, actual quality, much more features and overall far superior. The Rivian R1S is great, but too expensive for most people and the Model X is outrageous for the little you get (utility wise) vs the Y. That's why there are a ton of X owners that buy a Y instead.

That could definitely help. You could sit in the 3rd row in lounge position with the 2nd row down and ride in style ha! As for any aftermarket accessories for hacks I haven't seen anything yet. If you really wanted to go DIY custom you could tap into the middle row vents and run that to the rear. If you remove the side panels there's a little room back there to work with, but not much. However, going to such lengths shouldn't be necessary on a car at this price point, but it's Tesla after all and for now since there isn't as good (mostly due to price) EV options with a 3rd row within this range, we just have to get creative.

I have a feeling that a lot of people will dump their MYLRs for when the KIA EV9 comes out. A true 3 row SUV at the same price point, much better built, actual quality, much more features and overall far superior. The Rivian R1S is great, but too expensive for most people and the Model X is outrageous for the little you get (utility wise) vs the Y. That's why there are a ton of X owners that buy a Y instead.
I researched the EV9 and Kia is definitely great with build quality but again they are quite new to the EV world so that is one up for Tesla. Also the EV9 base version will be similar priced as the LR7 but will not be as peppy especially for 0 to 60. For that we have to go with GT version which I am assuming will be pricier than the LR7.

At full charge, 4.6-4.7. You are almost never going to be a full charge if you care about battery degradation. So most of the time, you are around the 4.7-4.8 range. It never felt impressive. When I get in my M3 LR with boost, it is actually fun to accelerate. Then again it is a solid 1 second quicker than the MY LR with boost and about the same as the MYP to 60 mph but quicker than it from about 50 mph up.

If you don't need the room, buy the 3. The 3 is such a better all around car if you actually enjoy driving need good efficiency. If you need the space, then get the Y. I have to say the Y got pretty boring after awhile. It wasn't quick enough to be really fun. It handling was clumsy at best. The efficiency was mediocre. Lack of ventilated seats in the hot months was uncomfortable to put it mildly.

Even though this is a Tesla forum, I'd really consider other manufacturers for something similar to the Y, than an actual Y. The competition is quickly catching up to Tesla and I think they are doing a great job targeting the Y and potentially surpassing it. Sadly I'd take a Y over the X unless I bought the Plaid.

Really the 3rd row isn't something I'd want to often put people back there. It is a better than nothing option rather than a full time option.

On a related note to Tesla, with their pricing all over the map, it just totally screws your resale value. There is no stability in the used market as a result. Hopefully it will sort out before you ever sell the car but it could also impact you if your car is stolen/totalled etc. in the first year or so. Never worried or thought about it until this last year or so. Thankfully I put a lot of money down or I'd be upside down in my 3 and I didn't buy anywhere near the peak.

I researched the EV9 and Kia is definitely great with build quality but again they are quite new to the EV world so that is one up for Tesla. Also the EV9 base version will be similar priced as the LR7 but will not be as peppy especially for 0 to 60. For that we have to go with GT version which I am assuming will be pricier than the LR7.

HMG (Hyundai Motor Group) is no stranger to EVs. In fact, they had their first EV in 1991 with other cars like the BlueOn that followed. Of course it was the wrong timing then for everyone in the market.

Fast forward to today and HMG has arguably the most compelling EV offerings, along with Teslas, with their IONIQ 5 & 6, KIA with their EV6 and upcoming EV9. Let's not forget about the Genesis with the GV60, GV70e and G80e, all of which are excellent EV options.

The EV6 and IONIQ 5 have won many awards worldwide in the EV space. The IONIQ 6 has already started to rake in awards as well with I'm sure more to follow. I've personally driven the IONIQ 6 and it's excellent. Far more comfortable than a Model 3, great suspension tuning, shcokingly quiet cabin for its class, and charges fast at a capable charger with a solid charging curve.

The EV9 SUV is going to set new boundaries in its respected category and perhaps punching above its class even. For a large vehicle, I think it's plenty fast enough. 5.0 secs with the GT trim is no slouch, especially with it being much bigger than a Y, yet just as fast. Also, a N variant could be very possible so imagine that? Exciting. (The EV9 will be eligible for the tax incentive next year.)

Notice how I didn't mention the vw ID.4 etc... It's very underwhelming and poorly built. Yes even worse than a Tesla. VW has a way to go as they perform poorly in pretty much every aspect. Range, charging, build quality, software etc...are terrible.

An honorable mention is the Ford Mach-e. It's far superior actually to the model Y and with their change to using NACS, that's going to elevate them greatly. GM as well. Although with GM, we have to wait and see how they'll do, because efficiency doesn't look like their strong suit as they're just shoving in a 200kw/h battery to achieve acceptable range figures.

Teslas are strong in the areas of battery tech, software UI, charging infrastructure, availability, price, and being the trail blazers and for that there is a lot to like. The budget 3 and Ys are utilities on wheels, but pretty decent. Especially for the price and tax incentives.