Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moder 3 new or model s used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i never buy new cars of any brand. First 2-3 years of depreciation hit is not in the cards for me. I let another sucker take that hit, then I buy it used but still under some mfrs bumper to bumper warranty

Except and at least here in Ontario, Canada a lot of 1 to 2 yr old Tesla models retain their value quite well. I recently ordered a new M3 as the price delta for a year old M3 wasn't all that much once factoring in the recent price rebate and federal incentive.

I'd say buy new M3 and used MS.

Hey I am in the market for a Tesla, looking to either get a model 3 new or model s 2016-2018. Both are around 70,000 with tax. Which one to get?
Oh yeah I am in Canada

Thanks
Hey I am in the market for a Tesla, looking to either get a model 3 new or model s 2016-2018. Both are around 70,000 with tax. Which one to get?
Oh yeah I am in Canada

Thanks

I ordered a brand new model 3 last year and waited for many many months for delivery (I'm in Ireland). Delivery was delayed until after Sep so I decided I'll postpone until 2020 to have new reg. Then government reduced electric car grant, the lower grant to come into effect start of 2020. So my problem was buy in 2019 and save a few thousand or wait til 2020. Decided 2020 reg was worth a lot more than the grant reduction. So eventually my brand new model 3 was to be delivered mid March. No model 3s in Ireland at time for testing so went to UK for test drive.

OMG I was so disappointed in the Model 3 - drive was great but it really felt like a basic car inside especially having seen and tried the Model S. I cancelled my Model 3 order straight away. Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt Model S is a no brainer compared to model 3. I have since purchased a Model S 100D 2018 model and would not be in any way envious of a new Model 3. There just is no comparison IMHO.

If you are in Canada I would go for new either way. A two year old Tesla model 3 is worth almost as much as a new one. Maybe 10 percent depreciation. A model S seems to have a little more depreciation but still not that bad. And having said that I think the 8 year old model S is still the best looking car on the market today. And that’s from someone who loves his model 3.

• Love
Reactions: SilverGS and Reborn
Model S is the flagship, and theoretically with an electric car a few years doesn't really wear and tear on the car like a traditional ICE car would.

As long as the newer model 3 didn't have a feature you really, really wanted, then the older model S is probably the better car.

I love mine.

Reactions: SilverGS
If you plan on keeping the car until it dies, then resale does not matter. I say sit and drive each one and pay attention to the ergonomics. I personally would've preferred the Model 3 because the S screen hits my knee and it's annoying on long trips. I'd recommend the Y for ingress/egress if you have children or seniors.

Reactions: Reborn
I was in the same boat. Test drove a Model 3 Performance and really hated the interior. I really disliked the lack of instrument cluster and having to look at the center screen to view my speed. While the Model S is far behind competing luxury brands in Terms of materials, the cheap plastic and cloth headliner bothered me. Also, due to the height of the dash, I felt like I was sitting in a Flinstones car with my seating position towering over the dash.

Depreciation was also a major concern as I felt like for nearly 70k I would lose about 15k just driving off the lot. I found a fully loaded Model S P100D w/ Ludicrous+ with every option available for the time (minus cold weather package) for 68.5K. To be clear, this car had a $160k window sticker only three years ago.

It has 40k miles but what really sealed the deal was the warranty. A little under 5 years left on the unlimited mile warranty on the battery/motors and 4 year / 50k mile warranty on everything else. After everything is said and done I got my no compromise dream car for about the same as I would have paid for a Model 3.

i never buy new cars of any brand. First 2-3 years of depreciation hit is not in the cards for me. I let another sucker take that hit, then I buy it used but still under some mfrs bumper to bumper warranty

I don’t see a huge difference between a 2 year Tesla or a 2020 one. I would rather pay the extra money and get a new one and if you can find a demo it is less than that. So, in this case, with Tesla’s price reductions, to me it makes no sense to buy a two year old model.

Usually, you are right. I always prefer new cars, but I also always prefer leasing, as I like a new car every two to three years. :)

Reactions: Science fan
Oh yeah I am in Canada

Thanks
Used Model S any day. Just the newer tech (battery, faster charging, faster MCU) in a brand new 3 are not enough pros to me to forgo an S. That's why I got a used S last year.

Hey yeah I am looking at the S model as much nicer interior
The S has a lot more elbow room and space to seat 3 comfortably in the back (unlike a Model 3). If space is a priority, that's another reason to get the S. The hatchback design with the rear seats folded down makes the rear section even bigger volume wise compared to a Porsche Cayenne.

The air suspension on the S also makes the car more comfortable to drive. I got mine from the Oakville Service Center last year.

Try to get a 2017 with AP2 at a minimum. If you can afford newer, get a 2018 with MCU2 (made after April 2018 I think).

The S has a lot more elbow room and space to seat 3 comfortably in the back (unlike a Model 3). If space is a priority, that's another reason to get the S. The hatchback design with the rear seats folded down makes the rear section even bigger volume wise compared to a Porsche Cayenne.

The air suspension on the S also makes the car more comfortable to drive. I got mine from the Oakville Service Center last year.

Try to get a 2017 with AP2 at a minimum. If you can afford newer, get a 2018 with MCU2 (made after April 2018 I think).
Thank you :)