Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moderator overplaying power to manipulate posts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really difficult to be a useful, effective moderator without making more than zero people unhappy. While they are human -- and sometimes draw the squiggly doodle "incorrectly" -- the overall job done by the TMC moderators is admirable and more than adequate.
And another thing....
That SOB indexer with the unreachable pages needs to be castrated.

On a more serious note, doug, is there a way we can donate directly to getting that indexer "fixed"? By this I mean corrected so that it works properly on "aggressive moderation" days, not prevented from reproducing.

My challenge: Show me a better (subjective) moderated forum and I'll provide constructive feedback.

priuschat.com

But yea, it's subjective. I don't think I would moderate this forum exactly the same way, but all in all it's kept in check quite well.
And to the OP...this is a privately owned forum, there is no "free speech", if you came with that expectation you are sure to be disappointed. We are permitted to participate here at the pleasure of the owner and moderators. I think that if you point out exact, specific incidences and ask for clarification you're going to make a lot more hay and have a better chance of affecting changes than by vague generic whining about how the site is moderated.

Yes I do.
BTW: I also love your signature, which is why I copied part of it (slightly modified to avoid being too obvious) :)
(hey, now I'm going for off topic...)

I think we need a fully engineered API with OAUTH and a bunch of other stuff that takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money that allows TMC to zap you through your keyboard when you're going off-topic.

I think we need a fully engineered API with OAUTH and a bunch of other stuff that takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money that allows TMC to zap you through your keyboard when you're going off-topic.
Warning to everyone:
Don't leave FlasherZ, Mark (OVMS), and ArtSci (manic modder) in the same room for an extended period of time.

Zapping is hard. But you could make the screen flash like crazy and induce a migraine or seizure with some creative JS and CSS... here's an idea... if your reputation drops below a certain value...
BZZZZZTTT.
Dang, FlasherZ's robot zapped me for going off topic...

It all depends on what the purpose of this site is.

Is it a social place to hang out that revolves around Tesla or is it a Tesla fanboy site where only Tesla discussion is tolerated?

Like I said, take a look at Ferrarichat. The second largest auto forum on the Internet.

Is it a social place to hang out that revolves around Tesla or is it a Tesla fanboy site where only Tesla discussion is tolerated?

Or it's a Tesla-oriented site for discussion of Tesla vehicles, not a general social site nor is it a fanboy site. I find there are plenty of individuals on TMC who will be the first to stand up and tell you when something is wrong.

What isn't, and shouldn't be, tolerated are the trolls who come to purposely stir up s*&t and then play the "victim of fanboys" card, which is what we've seen in several threads in the past week.

TMC is a fan site and you'll find anything negative will eventually be squashed... IMO it's probably best just to stick to less controversial subjects on TMC and support Tesla via other forums.

That said, you can have lots of fun with the reputation feature :wink:

This is most certainly not true, because there are many threads that contain constructive criticism of Tesla, including for botched delivery scheduling, problems/bugs in the Model S, and things Tesla could do better next time (like more storage & cup holders for the interior).

Speaking for myself, I want the company to improve and have no problem with criticism that is backed up with facts and reason.

Or it's a Tesla-oriented site for discussion of Tesla vehicles, not a general social site nor is it a fanboy site. I find there are plenty of individuals on TMC who will be the first to stand up and tell you when something is wrong.

What isn't, and shouldn't be, tolerated are the trolls who come to purposely stir up s*&t and then play the "victim of fanboys" card, which is what we've seen in several threads in the past week.

Fair enough.

A tesla oriented site but not a social site around Tesla's will limit over time the readership and activity.

I guess it all depends of what the objective is.

How do you keep the old timers interested in coming here?
After a while most everything will have been said and explored. How much time can you spend talking about the next software release?

If the objective is to keep the discussion Tesla centric on the cars and the company then I think the moderation is quite good.
I do believe that over time the forum activity will stagnate and maybe even go down because there is little reason for those that have read it all and done it all to come back here.

I think that if you point out exact, specific incidences and ask for clarification you're going to make a lot more hay and have a better chance of affecting changes than by vague generic whining about how the site is moderated.

I couldn't agree more.

I took a quick look at the original poster's recent posts moved to the snippiness thread. All I see are unproductive exchanges with another poster who lacked tack. Neither post is worthy of surviving in a thread comprised of adult discussions. The moderators were being generous moving them to snippiness and not deleting them all together. Even if the original poster's responses were more moderate in comparison to the posting he was reacting to, he shouldn't be surprised if the entire unproductive exchange is removed to snippiness.

On the whole I find this forum extremely well-moderated, the best I have run across.

Larry

I am a member and post on several forums. I find this one to be one of the best. Civil discussions and the threads I follow are full of constructive discussions. If you want to talk 'trash' relating to Tesla head for the official Tesla site. I go there sometimes and find myself spending less time there and more here.

Moderators have a thankless job. Mods: Thanks (not suc*ing up here :wink:)

I am a member and post on several forums. I find this one to be one of the best. Civil discussions and the threads I follow are full of constructive discussions. If you want to talk 'trash' relating to Tesla head for the official Tesla site. I go there sometimes and find myself spending less time there and more here.

Moderators have a thankless job. Mods: Thanks (not suc*ing up here :wink:)
I can't remember the last time I spent time on the Tesla site. Between the radical fanboys and the trolls no thread stays on topic. Add to that the atrocious forum software... this here is much better.
Note how my slavish devotion to the infallible Tesla shines through in my limitless admiration for their forums and everything else they do... :wink:

Personally, I try to post with the same tone and intent that I'd adopt when conversing in person. I wouldn't want to hide behind a (non-zapping!) keyboard and behave in a manner that I'd never do in person.

The Mods here appreciate and encourage that; they do no more than try to steer people in that general direction. Thanks, guys and gal, for your great work!

The best forum I've ever come across, though I've never visited FerrariChat or PriusChat. I've got nothing but respect for the mods here. They've even stepped in and have imparted their knowledge and have made constructive comments/suggestions to improve our forum experience (particularly NigelM, many thanks).