TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Moderator overplaying power to manipulate posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ppl, Sep 8, 2013.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Because we have almost 9,000 members as of today with over 3,000 active recently.... :rolleyes:

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#82 dsm363, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Have you ever thought your reputation here may be well deserved and that maybe by changing your behavior you might improve things? That doesn't mean becoming a Tesla cheerleader (that you accuse everyone here of being as a way to dismiss anything we say) but actually providing useful feedback and not always accusing especially the mods of being out to get you.
    I used to respect your posts and appreciated your push for all EVs early on. Then you seemed to take a sudden very anti-Tesla slant and began to argue with people just for the sake of arguing it seemed. We have a number of people who may not be big fans of or even own a Tesla here and that is welcomed as well. You seemed to take it to a new level. Your whole Roadster tirade is one example. I would have thought for someone pushing EVs that being more constructive in your criticism of Tesla would be a part of that. Instead you pop up here from time to time to push your Zero Carbon World thing, bash Tesla and this forum and provide little to no valuable feedback. You keep saying you'll leave but then always reappear.

3. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

#83 Kevin Sharpe, Sep 12, 2013
    can I suggest you read the posts in question?

- - - Updated - - -

Beyond having fun I have no interest in the reputation system on TMC which is easy to manipulate and open to abuse.

I post the minimum updates to TMC for those drivers in Europe who are interested in EV charging... given ZCW are probably the largest supplier of Tesla Model S cables and 3 Phase Charging Stations I suspect it's of interest to non-US drivers.

Odd then that on most forums and in the wider EV community I'm known as a tesla fan... could it be that your view is a little coloured by your TMC glasses?

Now, shall we have a serious debate about the OP or is that not possible on TMC?

4. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

#84 rolosrevenge, Sep 12, 2013
    Kevin, I remember when the Ecotricity guy was posting about the first ever pan-UK charging network and then you told him that what they were saying was misleading because his group had set up a charging network first. And then it got weird, with the Ecotricity guy complaining about your posts on the Ecotricity forum and how it wasn't helpful and then the whole thread became a back and forth between the two of you about what happened on another forum while all of the rest of us were like :confused:

I don't want to bash on you, as I've enjoyed many of his contributions over the years, but I also remember a similar back and forth with Dale Vince on his zero carbonista blog. And maybe, just maybe, three forums, three problems and one common denominator, perhaps it's more your tone of posting than the content of the posts that seem to give people a negative opinion of you.

I think that the Mods do a great job other than that tyrant Doug renaming my "But the real question is, Does the Goat ... " thread. :wink:

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The fact that we are even having this 'debate' shows we allow debate. You are one of the few people who have a problem with the way things are run here. I may not be critical of Tesla much but see where they make errors and no one is kept from posting their criticisms of Tesla here.

6. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Moderators here rock.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Huh? Kevin, I think you should go back and read the posts again. I asked you a question, there was no personal attack in there.

BTW feel free to have the last word, I'm done with this particular game. :rolleyes:

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Crap. You'd think with my electrical experience, I'd have a higher reputation power. How do I get the Binford 3000 Reputation Power Supply installed on my account?

- - - Updated - - -

NSA. It monitors TMC posts. Has since the Bush administration. They're out to get Tesla, you know.

- - - Updated - - -

I could bring up the hiding-the-safety-issues topic again, but I think I'd get more rotten tomatoes thrown at me. :) (In all fairness, I had this discussion over a beer at Teslive. I've found our moderators - and members - to be some of the most fascinating people on earth, from all sorts of walks. We agreed that it was a tempest in a teapot, and I reserved my right to create some other tempests should it ever happen again.)

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I have. And now you're insulting me as well? And so the "making friends" continues.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha-ha. Blame that one on me. I suggested the rename as a "soft" response among the available options.

10. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

WHAT?? You were the one who said to make the thread initially. Betrayal! You can't trust those mods, especially the shirt comment mods :tongue:

11. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

As a late comer to this forum (I only joined a couple of months ago...)
    Why is there a shirt comment moderator???
    :)

12. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I'm not really sure what to do with this thread. It's a bit of a mess.

Seems the OP was unhappy that some of his posts got moved to snippiness. I can understand not liking that, but these things come down to a judgement call. And while TMC has grown to the point where I can no longer personally review every case, I assume it was because he was impolite and a mod dealt with it. For the most part we just ask folks to stay on topic and maintain a level of decorum.

This thread has value since I think it's worthwhile to have that basic message has been restated here. However, it's been a bit clouded with inside jokes and Kevin... well being Kevin.

Anyhow, I'm too tired to deal with it now, so it gets left as is for the time being.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#93 brianman, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    I was trying to give him an olive branch so he wouldn't bury and lock the thread entirely. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

AFAIK, TMC does not have a moderator of that kind.
    OTOH, TMC does have a mod_rator of that kind.
    ;)

As for "why"...

14. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Thanks for the insight into the history.
    It looks to be a well-deserved title! :)

15. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

The OP was commenting on posts being moved to the OT thread by moderators.

Your posts in this thread were not moved, and any registered user if the forum can give you negative rep.

These are two different issues, and again, I don't see that moderators here move posts simply because they might not be favorable to Tesla.

16. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Kevin, I have an unlimited supply of "group hugs."
    When we finally meet; you're getting my top of the line one on one lift off the ground bear hug. Infused with enough positive energy to make you permanently love TMC. Especially the mods!:smile:

17. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

I would say the moderators have a little too much power if they can just shut down any thread they want. I see no reason for the moderator to shut down this thread that was running smoothly enough: Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again...... I guess I'm new to forums, but I don't like the idea of some random people behind the scenes deciding what we can and can't talk about. I came to this forum instead of the Tesla forum because I thought it would be more raw and unmanipulated. Maybe I'm in the wrong Tesla forum.

18. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Maybe because the discussion got too far off track with assumptions about expected gender-specific behavior in given situations? Anyway, I've moderated forums in the past and it's often a thankless job with scenarios where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Even when there are moderation guidelines, there may be different interpretations by different moderators. Oft-times, it's simply a matter of using common sense when you see a discussion devolve beyond the point of salvation and it's time to put it out of its misery. :)

• Like x 1
  19. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Maybe you are. It's the official Tesla forum that's raw and unmoderated (and almost useless). If that's what you want maybe that's a better fit for you. I'm glad we have the volunteer moderators here who keep it civil.

• Like x 2
  20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Rise, dead thread! Rise from the ashes!

Man, I started at the beginning not noting the date and was like, "who are some of these people, and what is snappiness?!"

• Funny x 7