TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Moderator overplaying power to manipulate posts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ppl, Sep 8, 2013.

1. LastGas

LastGas Member

I've been on online forums since before there was an Internet (remember dial-up BBS, CompuServe, BiX, PeopleLink?) No forum works with some kind of moderation, and no moderation works to the satisfaction of everyone. It's just human nature.

2. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

Yeah you can't please everyone. This is the only forum I've ever joined and followed. I guess I'm just a rookie, but I thought it would be less sensored.

3. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

I didn't want to be accused of creating a duplicate thread.

4. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

It depends on which part of the forum you visit... the Investor's forum has in the past been a disgraceful free-for-all. If I remember correctly, it took some egregious personal insults, and even a threat of physical violence for someone to actually pay attention.

5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

I just have a question about reserecting old threads. Before I create a thread I try to search around to make sure I'm not creating a duplicate thread. Is it a faux pas to start posting on a thread that's been inactive for a certain amount of time?

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Not necessarily, as long as the content of the old thread is relevant to the new content you're adding. If your new content/question doesn't really fit, just start a new one. But, in general, it's better to resurrect an old thread if the content matches.

• Disagree x 1
  7. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I agree with @efusco. I apologize if my comment made you think you'd defied convention. It was more intended to explain my utter confusion when I started reading it.

8. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Kudos to you for looking and resurrecting the thread. Seems most nowadays just start new threads about the same thing over and over again. Not checking to see if it's already been/being discussed.

9. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Some moderators will take such duplicate threads and merge them into one...but doing so can be a kludgy process, and other priorities like life, making snarky posts of mytheir own, and so forth, can take priority.

• Funny x 6