TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Modern Collectibles Revealed: 2009 - 2012 Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'News' started by bonnie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Modern Collectibles Revealed: 2009 - 2012 Tesla Roadster

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Ought to start 2008, not 2009...
    (They skipped 2009 model year.)

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Yep.

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Every high-end sports car that represented a major technological change from the previous generation has become a collector's item worth much more than it sold for new. There are no exceptions to this rule that I'm aware of. There aren't very many - less than 10 examples that fit this bill. The Roadster is the most recent one.

5. richkae

richkae VIN587

Seems likely that they took some time to be appreciated.
    How long did it take on average?

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Not sure but there's a well documented phenomenon that has been observed. Those who can afford the car will buy it right away and get the desire to own it out of their system. The younger generation who most adores the car when it is first released often cannot afford it at the time. Later in their lives they are often more successful and then start lusting again for the same car they dreamed of when they were younger. That's usually when the collector's market takes off. Unfortunately it's usually kind of slow.

7. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I would say a minimum of 25-30 years pass before the cars really appreciate in value. It takes less time for very limited production cars, but they are usually very expensive to start with. A good example of that former are most pre 1972 muscle cars, and the latter scenario makes me think of the 65-66 AC Cobras.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

30 years is a good number. Same for other collectibles like toys, kitsch and retro. 30 years is fours cycles of fashion.

9. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

From the article:
    This guy must have some impressively large luggage.

And his future AA sized/weighted battery will make this question more reasonable: