Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare: anyone bought one in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at their spare for Model S, and the shipping almost doubles the price of the unit when sent here, so wondering if anyone has organised to import any. I sent off a message to them to see if they had a distributor in Aust, but not expecting to find one. Has anyone any experiences with their spare?

Yes, I bought the spare package for my S some 18 months ago.
Modern Spare were very prompt sending the pack off but they used DHL - which seems to rhyme with "Hell" 💩.
Short version: See the tracking data.....
Eventually DHL decided that they did not deliver to Tea Gardens (despite having accepted the package in the US). After many to-ings and fro-ings between Newcastle and Sydney they threw it at Australia Post, who brought it to me a couple of days later.
I say "it" because the package was broken and the rear wheel spacer and the free safety kit were missing. Now, the spacer is a very substantial object weighing a fair amount. I contacted Australia Post and DHL Newcastle, sent them a photo from Modern Spare's site of the spacer - long story - and after many days they delivered - two steel bars about 18" x 3" x 1 1/2" and weighing in at just about my lifting limit! (From the packaging I tracked down their destination in QLD - machine tools....) Modern Spare were very good and sent off the missing items (not via DHL) and these arrived a week or two later.
//Rant over!

Attachments

• Wheel spacer.jpg
    Wheel spacer.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DHL 2.jpg
    DHL 2.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DHL 1.jpg
    DHL 1.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 67
The outcome: a completed spare for Model S - ROH alloy rim and tyre all new from Jax Tyres $445. They test fitted it and gave me the specific wheel nuts and plastic centring ring for the rim. Completed with a 4WD spare cover $20 from Supercheap Auto. I already had a scissor jack and Model S puck, so all good to go. Too good a deal to refuse when it's off the shelf and new now.

Reactions: schnaxxl
The outcome: a completed spare for Model S - ROH alloy rim and tyre all new from Jax Tyres $445. They test fitted it and gave me the specific wheel nuts and plastic centring ring for the rim. Completed with a 4WD spare cover $20 from Supercheap Auto. I already had a scissor jack and Model S puck, so all good to go. Too good a deal to refuse when it's off the shelf and new now.
sorry for not keeping up, but is this a full-suze spare?
when I got my present car I bought a spacesaver spare and tyre to put into the well under the boot which was otherwise empty
there will be no such space in my Tesla when it arrives, but I’m superstitious about run-flats and spray cans and I’d like to see about a proper spare

This seems like a very good outcome. When it comes to a jack has anyone thought of an electric job like this :
3 Ton Automotive Electric Scissor Car Jack Lift Auto Repair 12V DC Floor Lift
At least with our Tesla's there's no problem finding 12v ...

Reactions: schnaxxl