Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare DOES fit in frunk area, with liners removed!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the idea of having a spare in the frunk tbh. Out of curiosity, how much smaller is the Modern Spare compared to the standard LR wheel? I'm wondering if having a full-size spare at home might be another alternative. Yes, it doesn't help on road trips but I've had two flats on other cars where I noticed the flat at home on the driveway and changed it there.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
You can fit modern spare in Y under rear floor of trunk. You need to remove the tub then support back half of tire on a milk crate. Floor sits flush. You can also strap the tire down so it won’t go flying around in a crash. I’ll show pics once my spare gets here

Btw using that hitch rack would cut range by prob 20%. It destroys aero, and aero is everything on an EV. Putting it on roof would be ridiculous. You would prob lose 30% range on hwy

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
You can fit modern spare in Y under rear floor of trunk. You need to remove the tub then support back half of tire on a milk crate. Floor sits flush. You can also strap the tire down so it won’t go flying around in a crash. I’ll show pics once my spare gets here

Btw using that hitch rack would cut range by prob 20%. It destroys aero, and aero is everything on an EV. Putting it on roof would be ridiculous. You would prob lose 30% range on hwy
It would be very easy for Tesla to allow carrying safely a spare tire, if someone wanted to have a spare tire.

The main issue is that there is a beam between the two rear wheelhouses.
If this bean was a little bit curve then it would be possible to have a spare tire flat.

In many areas in US, like National Parks, there is no Cell communications, so having a flat there is a real pain.
You will wait a day for getting a flat bed truck. And also service centers with new tires are closed on weekend.

Also Tesla is selling cars in many countries where is would be impossible to get road assistance,
such as in middle of Autralia or Canada, and so on.

Note: This video shows an example of installing a spare, but Tesla should had designed this to make if safert:

Reactions: a2t2

Agreed on roof and don't plan on the hitch carrier for this. But to your comments on 20%
range hit. I haven't seen that large of a hit with bike or cargo behind the car.

It would be very easy for Tesla to allow carrying safely a spare tire, if someone wanted to have a spare tire.

The main issue is that there is a beam between the two rear wheelhouses.
If this bean was a little bit curve then it would be possible to have a spare tire flat.

In many areas in US, like National Parks, there is no Cell communications, so having a flat there is a real pain.
You will wait a day for getting a flat bed truck. And also service centers with new tires are closed on weekend.

Also Tesla is selling cars in many countries where is would be impossible to get road assistance,
such as in middle of Autralia or Canada, and so on.

Note: This video shows an example of installing a spare, but Tesla should had designed this to make if safert:

exactly my thoughts as well. I live in north atlanta, which is probably the wealthiest area in the south with tire stores everywhere. It took 5 hours to get a tow to my house and another 3 days to actually get repl tire/ As I was being towed on flatbed home for 20 minutes the driver got 3 more calls for people with tesla and a flat. He said its all day every day, those people would be waiting hours for him to get there. So effing stupid when it takes 5 minutes to change a tire. Unless you have a week where you dont need a car and enjoy leaving your car stranded on the side of the road its a bad idea to run around with no spare. Fixaflat only does so much and also can destroy expensive TPS. This is not just a Tesla thing, its a profit grabbing move by many car makers now sadly. I guess Tesla thought if they provided a dedicated spot to put a spare, people would bitch there wasnt one. For the excessive price of this vehicle, pure greed not to include it

Reactions: gtae07 and Watts_Up
As I was being towed on flatbed home for 20 minutes the driver got 3 more calls for people with tesla and a flat. He said its all day every day, those people would be waiting hours for him to get there. So effing stupid when it takes 5 minutes to change a tire. Unless you have a week where you dont need a car and enjoy leaving your car stranded on the side of the road its a bad idea to run around with no spare. Fixaflat only does so much and also can destroy expensive TPS. This is not just a Tesla thing, its a profit grabbing move by many car makers now sadly. I guess Tesla thought if they provided a dedicated spot to put a spare, people would bitch there wasnt one. For the excessive price of this vehicle, pure greed not to include it
I'am suprised that sites like Consumer Reports or Jalopnik didn't publish big headlines on this topic.

I hope that the new Tesla rear casting has been designed to allow installing securely a spare tire flat on the bottom of the trunk.

Last edited:
what new rear casting might that be?
there is none.
I am talking about the future one piece rear casting for the Model Y build in Texas,
Since this piece is molded you can give any shape you may want, and in particular provide a location for a spare tire.

Here is a picture of a Model 3 with a reinforcement beam in the middle of the flat bed between the two rear wheelhouses.
I checked the Sandy Munro video of the tear down of a Model Y and a similar beam was clearly noticeable.

Because of this beam, a lot of storage is lost. I removed in fact the rear liner and I was able to get an additional 6-inch of clearance.
If this beam was curbed a little bit,
this would had allow installing safely a spare tire inside the bottom of the trunk.

I really don't understand why Tesla engineers didn't try to allow to provide some space to install safely a spare tire in the trunk?
In some area you cannot get any cell coverage to call a road service, also if you live in some remore areas,
from Alaska to Australia, there would be no service center at all, so you have to carry a spare taking a lot of trunk space.

Honestly, if the Model 3 trunk would had provided space for a spare and had a hatchback this would have be a more practical car.
The Model Y presents an improvement, still not provide to carry a spare tire either. The Model Y is also about 400 lbs heavier.

Model 3 No spare tire location .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Anser
I am talking about the future one piece rear casting for the Model Y build in Texas,
Since this piece is molded you can give any shape you may want, and in particular provide a location for a spare tire.

Here is a picture of a Model 3 with a reinforcement beam in the middle of the flat bed between the two rear wheelhouses.
I checked the Sandy Munro video of the tear down of a Model Y and a similar beam was clearly noticeable.

Because of this beam, a lot of storage is lost. I removed in fact the rear liner and I was able to get an additional 6-inch of clearance.
If this beam was curbed a little bit,
this would had allow installing safely a spare tire inside the bottom of the trunk.

I really don't understand why Tesla engineers didn't try to allow to provide some space to install safely a spare tire in the trunk?
In some area you cannot get any cell coverage to call a road service, also if you live in some remore areas,
from Alaska to Australia, there would be no service center at all, so you have to carry a spare taking a lot of trunk space.

Honestly, if the Model 3 trunk would had provided space for a spare and had a hatchback this would have be a more practical car.
The Model Y presents an improvement, still not provide to carry a spare tire either. The Model Y is also about 400 lbs heavier.

View attachment 812443
You are misinformed.
There is no 'future one-piece rear casting'. All you are presenting is your own wishful concept.
The rear megacasting that is currently being used to build the MY is the only design that has ever been discussed by Tesla or any of their internet blog promoters.
It has been used to build the MY chassis since spring of 2020.

What is coming out of Austin is the new chassis design (v2.0 for want of a better description), that integrates the structural battery pack, front megacast, and rear megacast, to create the next generation of MY chassis. That's it. There's nothing else on their product plan other than getting enough 4680 batteries to convert ALL MY production to that new chassis, at ALL factories.
That will take time, probably over the next year or so, if not delayed by 4680 volume needs of the CT, SEMI, and Roadster.

@tangible1 I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment?

The 'one-piece rear casting' is the one replacing the 2 pieces rear casting
that the Model Y had when Sandy Muro teared down it,

Maybe the current Model Y still have the 2 pieces, or maybe the MY rear casting is now a single piece?

However, here is a picture of the Texas single piece rear casting, and the beam in the middle is still present,
and I don't think there is enough room to install safely a spare tire flat at the bottom of the Model Y trunk?

I am not a car body structural engineer, but I wonder if it could have been possible
to design the reinforcing beam with a little curbing shape to provide a location for a spare tire?

See Sandy at Cyber Rodeo Giga Texas at 17:22

Rear Casting - Beam Location .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Feathermerchan
Crazy opinion here, but Tesla could contract with Vredestein (the wheel/tire for the Levante already fits!), as other manufacturers have done, and with a little creativity, do something similar to what I did. The intrusive bump isn't pretty, but the loss of space is minimal. I haven't explored if there's more space between the trunk "tub" and the crossbeam. If I were to carve that out, I might discover enough space to make the "bump" even smaller.

Moving a structural beam is not so easy.

@tangible1 I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment?

The 'one-piece rear casting' is the one replacing the 2 pieces rear casting
that the Model Y had when Sandy Muro teared down it,

Maybe the current Model Y still have the 2 pieces, or maybe the MY rear casting is now a single piece?

However, here is a picture of the Texas single piece rear casting, and the beam in the middle is still present,
and I don't think there is enough room to install safely a spare tire flat at the bottom of the Model Y trunk?

I am not a car body structural engineer, but I wonder if it could have been possible
to design the reinforcing beam with a little curbing shape to provide a location for a spare tire?

See Sandy at Cyber Rodeo Giga Texas at 17:22

View attachment 812487
you have not examined the vehicle teardowns correctly.
there is ALREADY A SINGLE PIECE rear casting that is being used to build the MY chassis.
there are no further changes coming to the MY in the near future.

Tesla product development is focused on CT SEMI and Roadster.
For the near term, the MY focus is to working on the demand problem, not any wishful design changes - by making more.

Agreeing with Watts_Up here. We have a 2020 Model Y that I believe has the two piece rear casting. It is joined together in the center.
Go to 2:12
The 2020 MY, if made after Feb or March, had the 'new' (at the time) rear casting.
There has been no change to that casting since it's initial integration.
Prior to Spring 2020, the rear assembly was made up of some 70 stamped steel parts welded/bonded together.

Go back to the early Munro MY / M3 teardown videos to see the original steel assembly that Munro was highly critical of.
Munro followed up those videos with a review and discussion of the new rear megacasting.
That video also speculated about an apparent space reservation on that casting for an air bottle - ie, a future air suspension possibility.
That, of course, has not happened and there's likely no urgency at Tesla to do one, given the order queue depth.