Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the HUGE inside plug-patches potentially do more structural harm than a outside plug. They ream out huge holes and you can hear they filing against the cords.

Using a simple plug from outside is not much different than a self sealing tire.

Structurally the tire is fine (as long as it’s away from sidewall). Your just trying to keep the air in. If it doesn’t leak it’s no different than a plug patch. Neither the outside plug or the inside plug-patch is structurally holding the tire together.

Either the cord is damaged from the puncture or it isn’t. What’s done is done. Reaming it with 1/4 file is not helping.

I try to keep any on any repair. Often impossible to find after a couple 100 miles. Sometimes I spot it when I swap seasonally.
Agreed. I started plugging tires at my brother’s Getty station as a teenager and have done many on my own over the years, never saw one fail. Worst it could do is leak but haven’t seen that either.