Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not keep a can of “fix a flat” in the car? Unless it’s a blowout, it should do the job. I also keep a small, battery operated air inflator in the car just in case.
Various reasons, e.g. that won't fix a large hole or other major problem, and the mess it causes might even force you to replace the TPMS sensor and the tire. I'd suggest to look into a tire plug kit instead.

Why not keep a can of “fix a flat” in the car? Unless it’s a blowout, it should do the job. I also keep a small, battery operated air inflator in the car just in case.
You can take it a step further. I've got a can of fix a flat as well as a plug kit and mini compressor. They take up about half of the small storage area behind the rear seats.

The Model 3 and Model Y weight almost twice as much as an ICE car of similar size.

I would recommend getting two scissors jacks, and place one near the front wheel and the other near the rear wheel to lift the car.

It's almost impossible to lift the car using the provided small wrench. Using two scissors allows to balance the weight and ease the lifting

You don’t have to lift the car sky high, just enough to remove the wheel. I have the jack and the ratcheting wrench and I was able to life the car with no problems. On the other hand, the telescoping lug nut removal bar is a waste of money. I added my own torque wrench to the kit.

My last 3 cars haven't come with a spare. 2 BMWs with run-flats and a Porsche Boxster with regular tires. It bothered me for a bit but now Im ok with the idea of not having a spare.

I had a problem with the Porsche (not a flat) and their roadside assistance was with me within an hour. I've had a couple of punctures with the run-flats on the BMWs. With a 'flat', driving gently at speeds up to 60mph I was able to go 50 - 60 miles without a problem.

So where did you finally decide to stow it?

Hey, so the ModernSpare does not fit in the Frunk or the space under the trunk. Here are the three places/orientations I can see storing it for trips.

1. Behind the drivers seat. Fits well without having to adjust my seat. Could be quick access when car is full of travel gear.
2. Standing along back of back seats. It stands alone slightly wedged in but would need to be strapped or surrounded by travel gear.
3. Laying down in trunk, to be secured/surrounded by travel gear. In the picture it's thrown in the middle, but can be pushed back and to one side to allow for other gear.

IMG_20200917_175838.jpg

IMG_20200917_174723.jpg

IMG_20200917_174631.jpg

Hey, so the ModernSpare does not fit in the Frunk or the space under the trunk. Here are the three places/orientations I can see storing it for trips.

1. Behind the drivers seat. Fits well without having to adjust my seat. Could be quick access when car is full of travel gear.
2. Standing along back of back seats. It stands alone slightly wedged in but would need to be strapped or surrounded by travel gear.
3. Laying down in trunk, to be secured/surrounded by travel gear. In the picture it's thrown in the middle, but can be pushed back and to one side to allow for other gear.

View attachment 605370

View attachment 605371

View attachment 605372
Thank you. The pictures really helped me see the space required.

Just for a point of comparison (NOT knocking anyone who buys a spare kit, etc). The cost of the modern spare would pay. for several years of AAA. Further, I have an AMEX platinum which mostly negates paying for AAA.

My wife and child have free gold cards which provide basic roadside services too.

The conundrum b/t waiting for Tesla/AAA/Amex vs carrying a spare I cant reconcile. Just wanted to contribute.

Wait, the platinum provides roadside assistance?

The day I bought my DeLorean, I was taking the +200 mile drive home when when I got a flat. In the dark. So I got to figure out real fast where the doughnut spare was hiding (floor of the frunk) and jack (hidden frunk compartment).

To my dismay, I then discovered that the full-size tire would not fit back into the frunk. So the tire rode shotgun lol

Thought I would post here to see if there are any new experiences with the Modern Spare tire. I have a couple of road trips coming up, and certainly having the option to just throw a spare on would be great. I do have AAA but if the tire is damaged, what good is that - they don't carry spare tires with them. And Tesla Roadside Assistance, not having used them, but assuming they do have a replacement, not sure I want to wait for them to arrive and get me going again - especially if it's a bury holiday weekend. And if I'm going to take the trouble to carry an inflator and plug kit, which I've never used, I think I'd rather just go with a spare, which I have used. These trips are just with myself and my wife, so space isn't really an issue.

Reactions: e645824
I don't know if there is a map but Tesla roadside does not cover everywhere. I also carry a compressor and tire plug kit. Most punctures can be plugged w/o removing the tire.
Wait, seriously? I thought roadside assistance DID cover everywhere (at least in the lower 48 and maybe the entire US actually).

I know mobile service doesn't cover everywhere, but I thought roadside assistance was dispatched by Tesla but outsourced to national or physically more local tow companies for the emergency assistance.

You can reach Roadside Assistance from anywhere in the US, Canada where there is cellular service via the Tesla App or by phone call. In most locations Tesla Roadside Assistance can dispatch a contracted tow service with a flat bed carrier to your location and have your Tesla vehicle towed. You will need to arrange your own transportation, i.e. Uber, etc. In some locations the tow service can bring you a loaner wheel/tire, otherwise your vehicle will need to be towed. (I believe that Tesla will only send a tow service if your location can be reached in two hours (this could vary by region.)

You can reach Roadside Assistance from anywhere in the US, Canada where there is cellular service via the Tesla App or by phone call. In most locations Tesla Roadside Assistance can dispatch a contracted tow service with a flat bed carrier to your location and have your Tesla vehicle towed. You will need to arrange your own transportation, i.e. Uber, etc. In some locations the tow service can bring you a loaner wheel/tire, otherwise your vehicle will need to be towed. (I believe that Tesla will only send a tow service if your location can be reached in two hours (this could vary by region.)

So largely the same as what an insurance provider would offer or standard AAA service. That's good to know and what I thought the service offered. This likely would cover most people in their standard travels. If you plan to hit a national park or remote areas in some states it might be worth carrying a Modern Spare, otherwise you probably can rely on the roadside assistance.