Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare still recommended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I just ordered the Modern Spare and completely forgotten about the TSportline option. The TSportline is about $20 cheaper, but I'm not sure it's a better option. Modern seems like a more proven option. It's probably a wash.

How does one strap the spare down without tearing up the back?

Here you go. This will give you an idea of size. As it's just the wife and myself when we take trips I plan to store it behind the passenger seat vertically. I think that will work best for packing purposes. The tools are secured inside the spare and bubble wrapped - I may pack a few other items around it in the case to ensure it won't rattle and free up a bit of space in the under trunk storage area. If you stand it against the back of the second row seats it's a bit too high though I've a pic where someone removed the forward trunk cover so it dropped down a few inches, then strapped it flush against the back of the seats. I'll see how things fit and figure out the best place before our next planned long trip in May.

View attachment 904845View attachment 904846
Many thanks. Greatly appreciated. In the trunk it looks OK also. If it stood up in the trunk it would probably have plenty of space for luggage. I just saw this Utube, it looks like the Modern spare tire would fit in the trunk with some modification. Anyone tried with 2023 MYLR

Reactions: Noflash
While this might be an acceptable option for some I have yet to see a place to hide the spare that I'd pursue - Pianewman's method is probably the best IMHO. You'd have to locate the proper spare at an acceptable price and still loose the large trunk storage of course. Now that I have the Modern Spare w/case and tools on hand I've moved it around a bit and considered and for me standing it up behind one of the front seats will work best. It's not secured but then again neither is my luggage, golf bag, or Yeti cooler so I'm not worried about the crash scenario. (makes me think back to the wooden tissue box flying off the rear window deck and killing the driver in the old driver's ed movie! But I digress :cool:). I'll pack around it so it doesn't move while driving and press on. But that's just in my use case of course, others may have back seat passengers, etc.. I'll carry mine only on trips or if I decide to leave it in the car for day to day driving just putting it on the deck in the back will suffice.

Reactions: Noflash
Tracking down a SpaceMaster is tricky, because the hub specs are different on Maserati models. Mine is from a Levante, which I believe is the only one that will bolt up perfectly. It is NOT hub centric, but rather stud centric, meaning the diameter of the hub hole is larger than the Tesla hub. Many cars ride on stock stud centered wheels (which is why the lug bolts/nuts are acorn shaped, to properly center the wheel firmly on all lugs/bolts).

You have to do your research to confirm it's the correct Maserati-based Vredestein SpaceMaster.

Attachments

• vredestein6.jpg
    vredestein6.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 153
  • vredestein4.jpg
    vredestein4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Vredestein.jpg
    Vredestein.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: GoVols!
While this might be an acceptable option for some I have yet to see a place to hide the spare that I'd pursue - Pianewman's method is probably the best IMHO. You'd have to locate the proper spare at an acceptable price and still loose the large trunk storage of course. Now that I have the Modern Spare w/case and tools on hand I've moved it around a bit and considered and for me standing it up behind one of the front seats will work best. It's not secured but then again neither is my luggage, golf bag, or Yeti cooler so I'm not worried about the crash scenario. (makes me think back to the wooden tissue box flying off the rear window deck and killing the driver in the old driver's ed movie! But I digress :cool:). I'll pack around it so it doesn't move while driving and press on. But that's just in my use case of course, others may have back seat passengers, etc.. I'll carry mine only on trips or if I decide to leave it in the car for day to day driving just putting it on the deck in the back will suffice.
If I ever get one, I would just lay it on the trunk. Yes, I would lose some space but I believe I still have plenty of space left for cargo. If I modified my trunk I would F it up, I know it ... hahahaha

Judging by this thread, the #1 priority is learning how to secure heavy cargo in the vehicle.
The amount of dangerous and potentially harmful practices is surprising.
I believe it's just lack of knowledge with good intentions.

I think many with 3's and Y's have families or more than one person.
While I don't want to dismiss attempts at securing cargo, people should really put as much thought into securing tires and tools
as much as they did in figuring out what spare to purchase.

If I ever get one, I would just lay it on the trunk. Yes, I would lose some space but I believe I still have plenty of space left for cargo. If I modified my trunk I would F it up, I know it ... hahahaha
I just ordered one because sooner or later I will get one just for a piece of mind. I hope I never have to use it. I chat with them and they gave me the coupon code SAVE20 or something like that, it worked, they took of $20 from the total

Now that I have a Modern Spare Tire hidden in the trunk cargo space of my 2023 MYLR. I've been running around town - WITHOUT a trap- and have not heard any noises, maybe because I cut a slot tight enough? Is there a chance for it to pop loose? everything is possible but not unlikely
I have seen some pix of Pros who used trap to tie it down but I can't seem to find them
Please share with me WHAT trap that U used WHERE U bought your trap and HOW U tie it down again . Many thanks with pix please
Enjoy yours