Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare still recommended?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be taking a road trip this summer and do not want to be stranded on the road if our tire goes flat.

• Is Modern Spare still the recommended spare tire for a Model Y? If so, is it recommended to get the entire kit (tools + cover bag) too or can I buy the tools elsewhere to save some cash since they're generic car jack/lift? I already have the lift jack pucks for my Model Y.
  • Should I get a flat patch kit at all or just rely on the modern spare?

You could probably piece together the other parts (I actually just bring battery impact wrench), but the all in one is convenient, and not awfully priced.

As for have it or do not, personally I keep it in the car most of the time, because I'm lazy to take it out. But I will always have it on road trips more than 2 hours because waiting for roadside service can add an excessive amount of time, assuming you can get it. Most of my trips are already tight for time as far as departure and arrival go, but you have the luxury of time, you can get by without.

As for patch vs spare, definitely carry both. In my opinion anyways, plugged tire (inward in tread) > Modern Spare strictly due to the ability to monitor TPMS and a full size tire is just more "safe" due to contact patch and many other things.

We will be taking a road trip this summer and do not want to be stranded on the road if our tire goes flat.

• Is Modern Spare still the recommended spare tire for a Model Y? If so, is it recommended to get the entire kit (tools + cover bag) too or can I buy the tools elsewhere to save some cash since they're generic car jack/lift? I already have the lift jack pucks for my Model Y.
  • Should I get a flat patch kit at all or just rely on the modern spare?

Personally, I take a tire plugger, tools to remove a nail, and an air compressor/tire inflator.

Here's my post in a long but similar thread. Any tire plugging kit will probably work, but the one in this post has actually worked for me:

Horrible experience with my flat tire

I plugged a tire back in May and I'm still driving on it.

Last edited:
You could probably piece together the other parts (I actually just bring battery impact wrench), but the all in one is convenient, and not awfully priced.

As for have it or do not, personally I keep it in the car most of the time, because I'm lazy to take it out. But I will always have it on road trips more than 2 hours because waiting for roadside service can add an excessive amount of time, assuming you can get it. Most of my trips are already tight for time as far as departure and arrival go, but you have the luxury of time, you can get by without.

As for patch vs spare, definitely carry both. In my opinion anyways, plugged tire (inward in tread) > Modern Spare strictly due to the ability to monitor TPMS and a full size tire is just more "safe" due to contact patch and many other things.

Did you buy the modern spare with the carrying case? On the fence whether I need the carrying case or not.

Did you buy the modern spare with the carrying case? On the fence whether I need the carrying case or not.
I did. It's convenient for me, and because I do leave it the garage if I take it out, it keeps the bugs from hiding in it.

Also worth noting, I frequently move it around from the trunk, to the middle row depending on what I'm carrying, the soft case does prevent everything from getting dirty/stained/marked.

All that said, I wish they would have made a foam insert to hold the jack in the spare. The case attempts to keep it located but does a poor job.

Reactions: JonB65
I did. It's convenient for me, and because I do leave it the garage if I take it out, it keeps the bugs from hiding in it.

Also worth noting, I frequently move it around from the trunk, to the middle row depending on what I'm carrying, the soft case does prevent everything from getting dirty/stained/marked.

All that said, I wish they would have made a foam insert to hold the jack in the spare. The case attempts to keep it located but does a poor job.

Great I'll be placing my order with the case as well. Maybe you can try the bubble wrap to keep the jack in place and not roll around inside the case.

Not due until November, but TSportline.com will be offering one. Tesla TS1 Spare Wheel & Tire with optional Jack / Lug Tool Kit

Just ordered this, got the full kit with jack and tools. They're supposed to begin shipping later this month (it's November 10 as I write this). Since it's still a preorder item, the free shipping option (worth $48) is still available. So my cost, with tax (7%, Indiana) was $478 for the Continental T135/80/18 104M tire, case, jack, tools, and pair of disposable flat tire bags.

The Continental is the same tire as Modern Spare, although MS also states that they may ship a Kumho rather than Continental. Either way, since the tire is only expected to be used in an emergency and remain kitted otherwise, I expect the choice in manufacturer is less critical than just having the tire available. Both are rated 104M, both should get up to 1000 miles of emergency use. I expect the MS kit and case is a little bit more robust than the TS1 - but with TS1 being $40 less expensive and having free shipping, cost ended up being the tiebreaker. Once TS1 begins shipping and their free shipping preorder option goes away, the products will be much more closely aligned price- and performance-wise, with the only remaining difference seemingly the lug pattern and hub diameter, neither of which I expect will fundamentally affect the utility of the emergency spare.

• Informative
Reactions: hellobye
I carry the Modern Spare everywhere. Skipped the case, put the tools in the mid-storage section. Wheel behind driver with the back seats down for hauling. Somewhat padded to prevent movement.

Love the ratcheting jack. My favorite thing about it.

Check that the tires you will normally use are about the same diameter as the spare. One youtube poster documented significant issues with tires mismatched in diameter.

Did you ever get this tire. ?How is it.
Just ordered this, got the full kit with jack and tools. They're supposed to begin shipping later this month (it's November 10 as I write this). Since it's still a preorder item, the free shipping option (worth $48) is still available. So my cost, with tax (7%, Indiana) was $478 for the Continental T135/80/18 104M tire, case, jack, tools, and pair of disposable flat tire bags.

The Continental is the same tire as Modern Spare, although MS also states that they may ship a Kumho rather than Continental. Either way, since the tire is only expected to be used in an emergency and remain kitted otherwise, I expect the choice in manufacturer is less critical than just having the tire available. Both are rated 104M, both should get up to 1000 miles of emergency use. I expect the MS kit and case is a little bit more robust than the TS1 - but with TS1 being $40 less expensive and having free shipping, cost ended up being the tiebreaker. Once TS1 begins shipping and their free shipping preorder option goes away, the products will be much more closely aligned price- and performance-wise, with the only remaining difference seemingly the lug pattern and hub diameter, neither of which I expect will fundamentally affect the utility of the emergency spare.

I carry the Modern Spare everywhere. Skipped the case, put the tools in the mid-storage section. Wheel behind driver with the back seats down for hauling. Somewhat padded to prevent movement.

Love the ratcheting jack. My favorite thing about it.

Check that the tires you will normally use are about the same diameter as the spare. One youtube poster documented significant issues with tires mismatched in diameter.
Do you think the tire will fit in the sub trunk if deflated ? Thanks.

I use my trunk area and haven't tried to modify anything to accommodate it in that space. I think the tire is too stiff to change shape much if deflated, not to mention if it lost its seal, safely inflating it to use on the car in the middle of nowhere might be risky (uninformed opinion).

Reactions: Misterbee
Does anyone have experience with the TSportline spare now? Appears to be a better option than the Modern Spare. I'm always prepared to plug just in case but will be doing more longer trips out west and thinking it might be prudent to carry a spare also, please advise!
I received it, fortunately I haven’t needed it. It looks solid and well thought out.

Reactions: Misterbee
Since I have a Model S, when I travel, I will put it behind the passenger seat on the floor upright.
If I had a model Y, I would use the ability to hide it under the floor like I mentioned earlier in the thread. I’ve done that for a few friends, and it works quite well. When I’m not on long road trips, I will not be carrying it with me.

Since I have a Model S, when I travel, I will put it behind the passenger seat on the floor upright.
If I had a model Y, I would use the ability to hide it under the floor like I mentioned earlier in the thread. I’ve done that for a few friends, and it works quite well. When I’m not on long road trips, I will not be carrying it with me.
Right, I won't be doing the floor thing though - don't want to carve things up. Will probably just put it behind the passenger seat as it's just the wife and I on trips and leave in the garage otherwise. Still weighing my options but could come in very handy in case of blow-out type situation. Had my first one of those on a rental with run flats last Jun in NY so maybe the odds are catching up with me after 44 years of driving. :cool: